Have some questions about purchasing a new '13 Challenger SXT - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific

Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SE/SXT model.

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (5)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Have some questions about purchasing a new '13 Challenger SXT

New to the forums, hi, and have some questions.

Right now I am driving a 2010 Cobalt coupe XFE 5spd as my daily driver. It is a good "little" car that I avg around 28MPG in. The thing is I am 6' tall and this car is a bit small, so I am planning on replacing it this year (June/July) with something bigger.

I have always preferred rear wheel drive vehicles over FWD. I learned on a RWD, my first vehicle was RWD, and I've had about 4 other RWD vehicles, but also have had FWD. I drive a big walk-in van for work which is rear wheel drive as well. Anyways, back on topic here... I've been doing some internet searching and am kinda leaning towards the 2013 Challenger SXT Plus w/ the electronics convenience group in Jazz Blue pearlcoat and 5-spd auto.

This car will be my daily driver to and from work 4-5 days a week for the entire year. I live in Stony Plain, Alberta (outside of Edmonton) and we do get a snow and ice and a bit of everything here! Some questions...

1) If I put studded winter tires on it and 3-4 sandbags in the trunk will it be fine for winter driving?
2) Is it worth it to get the 3.06 gears? I am wanting to stay with 18" tires. My highway driving is usually 100-130 KM/H depending on traffic and then some city driving.
3) When I trade the Cobalt in for this car I have a set of winter tires on steel rims. Should I include these with it and have them included a set of winter tires/rims with the new car?
4) What kinda of mileage can I expect to get. My commute 1 way is 45 KM (28 KM highway & 17 KM city). I am hoping I can get 2 weeks on a tank (360 KM's+)

I'm looking at the V6 for the fuel economy and as a daily driver and because I don't need the V8. I have a '13 Mustang GT that I drive on the weekends in the summer

Thanks everyone in advance for your help and suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 09:36 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had one set of studded tires years ago and they damn near killed me on a wet road. Studs are somewhat helpful on glare ice and dangerous under any other condition, and winter tires have come so far I really wonder if studs are necessary anymore. I've had my SXT for a little over a month; we had a brief snow that left about an inch on the roads, and I went out driving just to see what the car drove like on the slippery stuff. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The electronic limited slip works and you can feel the opposite tire start to dig when the tires start to spin, and if the front starts to understeer the stability control gets it under control. Back when I had my '98 Mustang I started each winter with 4-5 big bags of cat litter in the trunk. (We have 5 cats so there was no problem using it up come spring!) That car was definitely light in the tail and needed the help. The Challenger is a heavier car and has a better F/R weight distribution. Drive the car as it is first and decide for yourself whether the sandbags are really necessary. I see Tire Rack has winter tires in 20", unfortunately no steel wheels in this size, only alloy.

Most SXTs you see on the lots will have the 3.06 as part of the SST package. It makes a difference in acceleration but not much on MPG. I would have been content to stay with the 18" wheel package but I accepted the 20's as the price that had to be paid to get the brakes and suspension that come in the package - basically all the R/T goodies without the Hemi.

Maybe the dealers by you work differently than down here in the states, but typically here you would get nothing for including these tires in a trade. I would sell them off myself down the road. You can also probably do better getting your own winter set for the new car as dealers tack on a profit margin for anything they provide. The new tires will be larger and costlier than the tires for the Chevy and certainly not an even exchange.

My commute is 50 miles each way, maybe 1/4 local streets, 3/8 highway, and 3/8 bumper to bumper NY misery. I've been seeing tank averages of about 22, with 350 miles on a tank.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:26 AM

Re: Have some questions about purchasing a new '13 Challenger SXT

I have the base SXT, with the 2.86 rear. First let me say the acceleration, is kinda slow, until things get moving. While I wished I would have gotten the performance package, there were things included with it I did not want. As far as every day driving goes, it is great. The car gets great fuel economy, has good power, and looks great. We don't get much snow here, so I can't comment on that. Either way you go enjoy your new ride.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 AM

I just bought a 2013 SXT Plus and love it. Gets about 28-30mpg on the highway, probably around 21 mpg combined when I commute to work (only 11 miles one way).

The doors, I learned, can freeze when icy rain/sleet freezes into the panel. Took me 20 minutes to unthaw it enough to be able to close the door the other morning. If you buy one of these in Alberta and it sleeps outside, I would get the remote start to warm it up so door windows can operate without forcing the motors.

Cheers,
Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 AM

I drive my SE as a daily driver, and here in Nova Scotia she's snowy. My fat bottomed girl has studded winters and it's pretty damn good in the snow. We had a few snow dumps recently..mine's the automatic..but the low gears are great in this weather...especially on my hilly drive home. Weight in the trunk isn't a necessity, but can help.

I put supreme in, regardless if it's a performnace boost or not. Cleaner gas can't be bad, I think anyway....I drive 38KM x twice a day...but that's town driving...no roads faster than 80Km. I gas it once a week, but it's usually at 1/4-1/2 range by then, so not a true fillup.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks everyone so far for your helpful comments. It sounds likes this is a pretty decent car. I have always been a Chevy/GMC guy, had 2-3 Ford's, but have never owned a Dodge except a '76 Royal Monaco for a month before we took it to pick-n-pull because it was just to rusted, was my grandpa's and that thing was an awesome car! I am just tired of Chevy and don't really like what they have for the price they are asking.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:58 PM

1) i drive mine in new brunswick all year with 4 winter tires (no studs) and no weight in back - i drive vy carefull and make out fine.
2) I think to get the 3.06 gears you need to upgrade to the package that includes the 20 inch rims ( at least in canada) i hate the 20 chrome clads and love the 18 rims that come stock. Also, since you already have a mustang gt i woul not spend extra 2 grand on the upgrade for your daily driver.
3) i would keep the rims and tires and sell them privatly then put that money towards getting s set of 18 inch mopar police rims and winter tires ... I got my police rims at the dodge dealer second hand for 90 buck a rim.
4) you will get well over 360 km on a tank... Highway you would get anywhere from 600 to over 700 kms
Richard
Old 01-21-2013, 05:33 PM

In case one wanted cheap steel police rims for winter tires AND has the SST package with bigger brakes: does anyone know whether 18" wheels will fit?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Originally Posted by Rich View Post
2) I think to get the 3.06 gears you need to upgrade to the package that includes the 20 inch rims ( at least in canada) i hate the 20 chrome clads and love the 18 rims that come stock.
I had a double look on the build & price it web-site and I can select the 3.06 gears without having to upgrade to the 20" tires, but it could possibly be a glitch?

3) i would keep the rims and tires and sell them privately then put that money towards getting s set of 18 inch mopar police rims and winter tires ... I got my police rims at the dodge dealer second hand for 90 buck a rim.
Is the Dodge dealer the only place to get this style of rim or I could I get them at Kal-Tire maybe?
Old 01-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Ok, next question. Sorry I have so many, just trying to make sure I get the better options/best bang for the buck. Do you think it is worth it to add either of these 2 options?

There are a couple options for the stereo system...

1) Sound Group II $995 and includes
-> 368 watt amp
-> 40GB HDD w/ 28GB useable
-> 6.5" touch screen
-> 7 Bouston Acoustic speakers w/ sub
-> UConnect 430 CD/DVD/MP3/HDD

2) Premium Sound Group $1500 and includes
-> 18 speakers premium audio system
-> 900 watt AMP
-> Delete spare tire
-> UConnect 130 AM/FM/MP3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.