Key Fob - The Real Scoop - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SE/SXT model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 12:13 PM
2LZ

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Key Fob - The Real Scoop

I'm posting this here as I have a 2011 SE and have no idea if there's any real difference between it and the R/T or SRT8 fobs other than maybe remote start, so here ya go.

Last time I was at my dealer, we were discussing some of the things about the car I was amazed with, especially after coming out of a 10 year old work truck. We started discussing the fob, keyless entry, etc...
I mentioned that the car was smarter than I am as it won't even allow me to lock the fob in the trunk, say if myself or wife accidently drops it while loading groceries. I then mentioned I really like being able to start it on the cold mornings, get out and lock the doors while it warms up.

He then said, "Oh...that doesn't matter. If the fob is not detected, anyone who gets and and tries to take it, the car dies when you step on the brake and try to put it in gear."

So, I got home, parked it in the street, while I waited a good 30 feet away, with my fob and had Mrs 2LZ get in and try to leave....which she did...and proceeded to drive up and down the street with no fob on her.

Obviously, they sell other brands there besides Dodge so maybe he was thinking of another vehicle brand. What's the real scoop here? I've searched other threads for some solid info but no luck, after some good searching.
Can someone get in my running car, with no fob and drive indefinitely?

Last edited by 2LZ; 11-10-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Supporting Vendor

Thanked 1,038 Times in 642 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
with keyless go, will start up to a distance, on some of the test we have done, sometime as far as 30 feet, once the vehicle has been started you can drive anywhere you like without the fobik, it will run as long as there is gas in it, if you turn it off it will not restart, the whole situation freaks me out a little, have now become very conscientious of my environment when i fill up, would not be hard to be standing 15 to 20 feet away and somebody slip into the car and haul a$$
Luke

THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH US
WE WILL NOT BE UNDERSOLD!!!!!!
PLEASE VISIT
WWW.STEVEWHITEPARTS.COM
FOR THE BEST MOPAR PARTS PRICES ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!
facebook.com/stevewhiteparts1
828-324-4410
800-779-3634
#3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here is how mine works, I tested it.

Remote start and then leave the fob away from the car. Get in and try to drive off. As soon as I tried to put in gear, it dies.

Keyless go start and take fob away. Continues to run until shut down and then cannot start again.

So no, if I remote start, somebody without a fob on them cannot drive off.

2015 Hellcat on order
2009 Challenger SRT8
2010 Jeep GC SRT8
11 GMC Sierra Ext Cab, LB
69 Pontiac Grand Prix 428
#4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 03:02 PM

Here is how the keyfob worked on my 2011 SE. I had my wife get into the car and I stood outside. With the windows up even if i was right next to the window it said did not recognize key and would not start the car. She rolled down the window and I leaned in and the car started. I then walked inside the house with the keyfob, however, she was able to run the car up and down the street without a Kfob. We both thought once she put it in gear the car would shut off like her Hyundai but it does not. Now if she turned it off and did not have the fob then she could not turn it back on. I tested this as I get out of my car alot to take photos of properties and was hoping the car would die if someone jumped in and tried to drive off without the fob...no such luck....i have to be carefull about taking photos...but the good news is if the car is off and the fob is in your pocket and your outside the car someone cant just jump in hit the start and take off...wont work....moral to the story do not leave your fob inside the car always keep it on your person......
#5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 03:22 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
07 and newer Harley's are like that, the key fob has to be near to start but when it's running it will run until you kill it one way or another.

I have not tried my car to know what it does.

#6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 03:28 PM
2LZ

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson1964 View Post
Here is how the keyfob worked on my 2011 SE. We both thought once she put it in gear the car would shut off like her Hyundai but it does not. I tested this as I get out of my car alot to take photos of properties and was hoping the car would die if someone jumped in and tried to drive off without the fob...no such luck......
At first, I thought it was kinda bunk that you could get in and drive off without the fob. Then, I started thinking....

1 - When I warm and defrost the car in the morning, I lock the doors after I fire it up with the little button on the handle. If someone wants it, they have to bash a window. Not that I leave it unattended and running for longer than a few seconds anyway.

2 - It's NICE TO KNOW that if I'm away from home....and my fob malfunctions....I have a one-shot trip to either get home to my other fob or to the dealer for a new one. I'd be kinda miffed if I was 50 miles from home, my fob died and the second I put it in gear, it died and I was screwed.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post

2 - It's NICE TO KNOW that if I'm away from home....and my fob malfunctions....I have a one-shot trip to either get home to my other fob or to the dealer for a new one. I'd be kinda miffed if I was 50 miles from home, my fob died and the second I put it in gear, it died and I was screwed.
If you have keyless go and the battery in the fob dies or the keyless go quits working, you can always pop the start button out, insert the fob and start like a regular ignition. The keyless go and proximity start functions in the fob are separate systems.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waumo View Post
If you have keyless go and the battery in the fob dies or the keyless go quits working, you can always pop the start button out, insert the fob and start like a regular ignition. The keyless go and proximity start functions in the fob are separate systems.
Nice to know....Thanks

space

2011 SE Rallye, Bright White, 26G Pkg, SRT8 Type Spoiler, K&N drop-in, DRL's, Stealth Splash Guards, 20" Forged Mopar Heritage Classic's, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Modern Muscle Ported Intake Manifold & Throttle Body, 20% Tint, Front License Plate Bracket Delete

#9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 12:21 PM

yeah i heard about this a while ago. Never tried it myself but I believe everyone that has. What a horrible "feature". I am very conscious of where I put that fob.

Last edited by shootdownthestars; 01-22-2012 at 03:03 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 01:30 PM

I commonly put the key fob in the center console area when I get in the car, since I have the keyless go feature. The other day, I forgot to grab the keys, locked and closed the door. The horn beeped 3 times and the doors unlocked. I did not know there was feature which detected the keys in the car and would prevent you from locking them inside. I don't know if this is an option or if it's equipped on all Challys....er, Challenger, but it's def a very cool feature.

I tried it again once I got home ( and had the spare key). Yep, it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode