Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Least expensive way to get rid of acceleration lag?

17K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  MYFIRSTMOPAR 
#1 ·
I have a '13 SXT+ and would like to find a way to get rid of that couple of seconds of lag time when I press down on the accelerator. Is a tuner the only way to do it? Thanks.

#3 ·
In case you haven't already done so, look up threads here about pulling fuse 2 to reset the computer's learned driving habits. The throttle control learns over time to respond to drivers. Pulling fuse 2 can freshen it up. There is also a sticky somewhere here about resetting the throttle sensitivity. That can also help, my SXT also felt a second or so acceleration lag at low speeds.

#4 ·
I thought I remember reading that the adaptive driving and Fuse #2 had nothing to do with the lag, that it was something that was done by Dodge at the factory and the only way to truly override it was to get a tuner (I've also tried the fuse trick with no success). I'm not looking to gain HP or anything, I just want to be able to push the pedal to the floor and have the car "go" instead of hesitating and then taking off.

#19 ·
I just install the diablosport intune , 2013 challenger, I bought new back in 2013 and even tho I only drove it for about 15 minutes with the 91 octane tune in it with 13 percent throttle boost, the car felt so much better and smoother and it sure felt way stronger on top end.

I'm happy with the tuner, car felt so much better, I just started to take the rear end out today, doing a 3.64 gear swap, I had to have the tuner to do that.

tuner, plus 3.64 gears plus a 180 thermostat this should really wake the car up, I'll be going to the track to see where this puts the car, the best I have ever ran in really good weather is 14.90 so really hoping to shave some time off.

#20 ·
Cant wait to see how this turns out. I had 3.91s in my 70 Dart Slant 6 w/ 4 barrel Holley and headers. It was a 15 second 1/4 mile car and still got better than 25 mpg on the highway. I am guessing low 14s with the new car, tuner and gears.

#21 ·
I had a cool looking 1979 volare with a slant 6 225 cubic inch one barrel, it was a power braking one wheel peel machine. I could run the 1 /4 mile and never break the speed limit, but it did get pretty good gas mileage, I got a ticket for doing 89 mph down a hill with open exhaust on it, it's all it had in her, I think the cop was laughing when he gave me the ticket.

#22 ·
Although we have different cars, I can offer you my perspective, based on the last few weeks.

I also had enough throttle lag to irritate me. Constantly.
The fuse pull did not help, the throttle calibration procedure did not help.

I have a Diablo and would adjust the throttle tip-in (0-20%) to different settings, from 5% up to 20%. Now, TO ME that didnt help either....the tip -in gives it more throttle for a given pedal "position" (its fly-by-wire I know) but that lag was still there. Not much, but enough to constantly piss me off.

Recently I got a custom tune done via email...the FIRST thing I notice is the throttle lag is history. Completely different from the Diablo tip-in adjustments...it is GONE...I can feather the pedal with my big toe and it responds instantly.

Now, I am a big fan of the Diablo devices (owned 3 of them for different engines) and I could certainly notice a BIG difference from stock, compared to CAI91 and CAI93 tunes AND the tip-in adjustment helped, so maybe that would be enough for you and I want to make it clear I'm not knocking them at all, just once you get a custom tune, its a totally different ball game in my opinion.

I got a used Predator from a forum member $175.00 US and the custom tune is so far at about the same number, but I have just received tune No. 2 after sending the tuner data logs and will compensate him further because:
A: I like him
B: The car runs like a bat out of Hell
C: The first tune was nice and safe F\A with no timing pulled
D: Dont want to be a cheap bastard
E: When I do cam\heads\TB\intake\ I will be going back to him.

So its a little bit expensive for Canadians as the dollar is low compared to US..my outlay of $350US is almost $450 CDN but IN MY OPINION its worth every nickel.

Pete

#25 ·
I appreciate your write up. The lag annoys the crap out of me so I will be getting a Predator eventually and doing a custom tune just like you suggest. I'm tired of pushing the sports mode button every time i get in the car, ...doesnt even get rid of lag completely.

Reactions: itguy
#24 ·
i have a 2015 and sport mode sorta helps...but lag is definately still there. If i hold the button down for 5 seconds it says the electric stability control is off and then its Almost gone completely...but its still there somewhat.

I will get a custom tune when i get to that mod..Im getting tired of always pushing the sports mode when i get in the car and still having lag.

#26 ·
The reason for the lag is called torque management. Only a good tuner can solve this problem. Torque management is horrible. The MFG does this to prevent full throttle take off with wheel spin to decrease warranty claims. It also retards timing during shifting on auto cars. I had this on my 4.8 V8 2003 Silverado and the only cure was a performance tune. Pulling the "fuse", throttle body mods etc. are a waste of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.