Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Nag 1 Advice

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  stormTrooper 
#1 ·
Guys. I've got a 2012 sxt. 5 sp Nag 1 tranny. Is been slipping a little so I figured maybe they under filled it at the factory. I picked up a transmission dipstick. Checked it cold and the dipstick was bone dry. Checked it hot and it's bone dry. Any thoughts on how to proceed from here?

#5 ·
#8 ·
Its a lifetime fill that's why no dipstick. If it is bone dry u would have more problems then slipping. Still if u lost any sizeable amount of fluid it would show somewhere.

#9 ·
I hear ya. I don't get it either. No leaks. But have noticed slippage here and there, so I did some research and read about problems with underfill from the factory, so I Bought the dip stick to see where I'm at. I added a little fluid and will check while cold in the morning.

#12 · (Edited)
This is not a "sealed for life" transmission. It is however, a dealer serviceable transmission. The removal of the dipstick was a Mercedes idea to prevent people from overfilling the transmission which was one of the main causes of the NAG1 failures.
I don't know where you got your dipstick but if you find a 48 zip tie (Home Depot) you can use it for a quick rough check. Just bottom out the zip tie in the pan and check the level. It should be around 70mm up the zip at nominal operating temperatures (15 minutes of driving).
If you're dry or using a Miller tool and you have a dry dip stick. Take it to a shop that knows what their doing.

#14 ·
That's interesting that's sealed to prevent the tranny from owner damage/over fill. Everything I've read about the nag1 indicates its "bullet proof"...I guess it's sensitive as well?
I bought a dipstick from speedlogix. Has a cold and hot measurement. I'm relieved to report I added a little fluid last night, checked it cold this morning, and the fluid level came up dead center in the cold reading of the dipstick. Will see if this resolves the slipping.

#17 ·
Ran in to the same **** with my 300....my pan was corroded and a little drip soon turned in to a flood.

My solution....drop pan, drain fluid, install new filter kit, new gasket and pan (in my case) and fill to FACTORY specs as per manual. I didnt bother with the stick or taking to a shop or dealer.

Ran and shifted great as long as I had the car.

Now, if you're under warranty I would make use of it...they will try and deny you anyway, but that tranny is a big buck part dude...lets assume the stick you bought is accurate, Lord knows the extra wear on internals, I shudder to even think about a 3 qt or more low tranny...ugh.

#22 ·
If it was fine yesterday but not today it is going somewhere (that is the evidence of the leak).

#23 ·
I wonder if the torque convertor was dry as well and is now starting to fill up, thus explaining the 1\3 quart down? A 12" convertor holds a lot..something like 4 quarts I think.

#24 ·
Update: I think the tranny is fine. zero slipping. Still showing fluid when I pull the dipstick cold. Interesting tho. Can't seem to get any fluid on the stick while it's hot. Anyone know if it should be in park or neutral when I'm testing it hot? I've read conflicting answers online.

#25 ·
Just to be sure, you are checking the fluid level while the car is running correct?

#26 ·
Yep. Instructions that came with the dipstick had me slowly run it through the gears with the car running and the emergency brake on, then check it in park. I did some digging around online and some say it should be checked in drive, with a second person when their foot on the brake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.