Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Swap v6 to v8 help

26K views 37 replies 23 participants last post by  3 peddles 
#1 ·
Good day for all!!!
I am very far far away from America where about this car know a very little and no have service)

But I have Dodge Challenger SE 2010 with engine - v6, 3.5L 4-speed
And i'm interesting to buy new engine hemi 5.7L or 6.1L and install in this car.
Pls advise to me:
1. From what car the engine will fit? (Charger, Mugnum, Chrysler 300c)?
2. What i need to buy with engine to make full swap?

Now i'm searching the engine with this complete set: complete engine with trasmissions, engine wiring, computers (ECM,BCM,TCM) and key ignition

I'm asking you all, to avoid mistakes as much as possible in future

Best regards))

#5 ·
Here is a list of what you will need

Motor
Transmission
Radiator
PCM
Complete Harness
TCM
ABS Package
Shifter
Fuel Pump
Alternator

Not saying it cant be done but that 4 speed is the deal breaker for most that want to do the swap, If you had the 5 speed it would be a lot cheaper and easier.

#7 · (Edited)
You're much better off trading it in. Since you don't have a dealer where you live, just try and sell it. Then order one with the V8. That's the best suggestion I can give you. Just out of curiosity, where in the world do you live if there's no dealer anywhere around?

#13 ·
re:

If i buy dodge R/T or STR8 and transport from America the Customs clearance will be cost like a new same car...
Example: i can buy SRT8 and transport here total praise will be 70-75000$...
When i buy my dodge v6 here in my city for 25000$ and it is cheap. (because normal price in Russia for dodge V6 here is 38000$)
To make swap with all detail that you advise to me all i plan to pay, with delivery total 15000$.

I live in Russia Vladivostok it is the big city but American cars is not so popular here. basically it's Japan car (Japan is not far from here)
Thank you!

#8 ·
If my memory right Mopar Action Mag. did a artical a few month back about a guy who did just that swapped a 8 into a 6. He did say in the artical that it cost him way more to do the swap then just buying a R/t

#9 ·
Or... $4,300 U.S. dollars gets you a supercharger that will be MUCH easier to install and will get you to R/T power levels.

Reactions: DodgeRamsey85
#10 ·
you'd never get the $$$ out of it for what it takes for a conversion.

Then there's the suspension stuff (and brakes) to up the to increased weight and power of the V8. Not feasible to go that way.

#16 ·
re:

I'm trying to find by the internet turbocharger (supercharger) (turbo) "ready kit"..... but no result. I ask RDP motor sport and other company they said: if you deliver to us this car we will make it. sorry we do not sell them as a kit... Maybe you know or can recommend somebody who make and sell ready kit for v6 3.5L

#20 · (Edited)
something to remember, you have no source of assistance, therefore no programming, no tuning, no reconfiguration of the tipm, all things that will most likely be required, wiring issues

in my opinion, import a vehicle and sell the one you have, considering the lack of support, hard enough to repair, imagine a major swap with no support,

no offense you will get into this and discover you now have a boat anchor

Luke

#23 ·
man you guys have no faith ! where would we be if someone didn't say I can do this ! yeah it may not be worth it financially, but you can't tell me you haven't dome something that not the most financially responsible. If you say you haven't what is that high horsepower gas guzzling thing that sitting in your driveway? Yes have built my fair share of boat anchors and yes I say every time I wont ever do this again and yet there is another in my driveway that I will never get its cost out of it. ease up on the guy he is in a country that is very restrictive and costly to do anything outside the country. I'm surprised he was able to get on here. Lets try to help him out. some of you are experts on these and know what it would take so share your knowledge and lend the man a hand instead of beating a dead horse. and to the original poster welcome to America.

#25 ·
man you guys have no faith ! where would we be if someone didn't say I can do this ! yeah it may not be worth it financially, but you can't tell me you haven't dome something that not the most financially responsible. If you say you haven't what is that high horsepower gas guzzling thing that sitting in your driveway? Yes have built my fair share of boat anchors and yes I say every time I wont ever do this again and yet there is another in my driveway that I will never get its cost out of it. ease up on the guy he is in a country that is very restrictive and costly to do anything outside the country. I'm surprised he was able to get on here. Lets try to help him out. some of you are experts on these and know what it would take so share your knowledge and lend the man a hand instead of beating a dead horse. and to the original poster welcome to America.

i agree, however, how many projects people have started only to find themself way over their head and quit, my boss dad's Caddy, was exactly that, a million pieces all torn apart with someone having a grand idea, overwhelmed and gave up, sat in pieces in a shop for years until Steve senior walked in, saw the project and bought all the pieces and had a professional hot rod builder, build the car, the whole project took over a year
Luke

#24 ·
#26 · (Edited)
From a guy that's actually done the swap, given your location and lack of resources reprogramming your ECM and easy access to donor parts, plus the fact that it's a 4 speed car would would make me highly encourage you to steer away from a motor swap. My recommendation would be to supercharge your 3.5, re-gear the rear differential, build a better exhaust and up grade the brakes and suspension. The parts your car is missing will require almost an entire donor rig, maybe 2 depending on what was damaged making them donor vehicles. This is probably the first time I have ever tried to talk someone out of doing a motor swap.

* Unrelated to the original poster, I want to say the following since every time someone talks about a motor swap some jack hole has to bring up resale value or some other BS about just trade it in. Well...

I'd like to clearly state that if your main concern is about what it costs to build something and can only quantify it by how much it's worth in terms of money when you're done, you don't get hot roding or the passion for doing something yourself. Get over it and go let the dealer do your maintainence. Let the people with dirt under their nails and gear oil in their blood do their own thing. Be proud of your ineptitude and embrace your own commonness.

#27 ·
but....

Final question)) before a choice... swap or turbocharge
If i buy all next sapre parts:
complete engine with trasmission,
engine wiring,
new PCM and key ignition from one car
Getrag rear end
TCM
Fuel Pump
motor mounts
driveshaft
Then it makes sense? or you still recommend to make supercharge 3.5?
(Here i have organization which told that will make this work)

#29 · (Edited)
You will also need every thing that reads wheel speed at all 4 corners, essentially the entire brake system including the plumbing and abs pump.

I could be wrong but I don't think the 4 speed cars have provisions for wheel speed sensors in the spindles/ knuckles, so those too. The gauge cluster, the TCM (transmission control module) and IIRC the abs module is separate as well.

You'll need the shifter and linkage as well as the interior shift gate.

Since your car is a 4 speed car, it is with out a lot of the wiring needed to do a swap easily. You will need every bit of wiring. Not some, not part but all of the wiring, including both fuse blocks from the donor vehicle.

You will also need a fuel pump. I recommend one spec'ed for a 392 car, cuz if you are going this far, you'll add some boost at some point.

Additionally, an exhaust system.

Since you are swapping it all over, you'll also want the keys from the donor. Which means keys, ECM, TCM and gauge cluster need to come from the same vehicle or you won't even be able to start the car with out major reprograming on-site by someone with access to Chrysler Starscan software. You'll need the donor vehicles pin code for the initial re-programming if you have to go this rout or want to make the vin in the electronics match the actual vin of the car.

After everything is in and reprogrammed, you'll need a Diablo tuner to upload tunes. Email tunes done by a tuner based on you data logging are easy and are done via email. That's the easiest part of this equation.

So...you need the entire car, less the body and interior.

I vote swap if you can get your hands on a complete donor vehicle (maybe 2) or forced induction on the 3.5.

#30 ·
The base SE (E-pkg) cars (cloth interior) didn't have ABS.

the SE uplevel trim (G-pkg) had the leather interior and those had ABS as standard equipment.

Also - the SE from 2010 had the 5-speed auto as a running change (late '09 model year)

#37 · (Edited)
The only V8 swaps that would make any sense are:
406 (bored stroked 360) 6 PAK for about 500 + cheap HP, 727 trans.
426 HEMI, aluminum heads just cause... twin carbs, OEM exhaust manifolds, modern 5 speed manual.

Bout what I intend to do with the Challenger S/E in about 15 years... Heck I would already have swapped it out but we have yearly smog inspections for cars under 22 years of age due to global warming hoax. One could actually swap a GM LS3 E-rod into a Challenger as GM makes turn key smog packages.... or even a supercharged LS engine...

For 6 bangers:
Aussie 3x2 weber hemi
slant six hyper pack
Supra twin turbo
BMW twin turbo
AMG / Dodge SRT-6

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.