Dodge Challenger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is a V6 Challenger as bad as people say it is?

70K views 341 replies 84 participants last post by  Rambit 
#1 ·
This is just in general with all v6 muscle cars. As a v6 challenger owner(Im only 16), I must say it does have a decent amount of power. I think people shouldn't make jokes about v6 muscle cars. Years ago 305 HP was a lot... and that was on a v8. State your opinion in the replies.

#38 ·
love my v6 challenger!

Reactions: Sith R/T
#43 ·
Is it a muscle car? No... But its still a damn cool car.

Reactions: theodorelake1
#44 ·
Is the 6 cylinder version a muscle car? No. But it looks every bit like one, so enjoy it like I am. This is a fine daily driver for me. It's more about gas mileage for me at this point.

So since we are telling on our self here... My first real car was a 74 Dodge Dart with that slant-six that sounded like a sowing machine. My second car was that awesome power house of a 81 Dodge Aries with a 2.2 engine. It got slower as the miles piled up. They should have named that car the Turtle. lol

#45 · (Edited)
My first challenger was a '10 3.5, it turned heads and modding was fun. The 3.6 sounds to be allot better. I was lucky enough to be able to trade it in for a new RT. Both are daily drivers, so it's up to you and what you want to pay. I would say test driving is free and a nice way to know what you are buying, good luck. Either way, the 2015 3.6 and 5.7s are SXTs.

#49 · (Edited)
Is the V6 challenger a muscle car? well that is a seperate topic all together. Dodge says their V6 is a muscle car so it is...beyond that I'm not sure what the point of this thread is?

This post has been deleted
#50 ·
Technically, a muscle car is one with a V8 engine no matter the car that it is in. Taking it further, that V8 needed to be one making more power than the base V8 offered in the car.
A V6 in a Challenger doesn't make it a bad car. They are cheaper to own and maintain. They still look fantastic and are just as comfortable and safe as any V8 Challenger.

#55 ·
Muscle or not... a 6 speed R/T driver might want to concentrate on driving or else they might be looking at the taillights of a 3.6L 8 speed.

#57 · (Edited)
I think that when you tell people that you have a "6" under your hood, most people automatically conjure up thoughts of either the old, inline 6's or the early 2000's V6's, both of which don't have a lot of power -by today's standards. A lot of times when I tell people that I have a V6, I usually follow it up by "It has over 300HP..." and that will usually get a "Really? Wow, that's pretty cool what they're doing with engine nowadays...". In reality though, off of online forums where V8 guys roam the V6 threads for whatever reason, I usually just get a lot of compliments of how good my car looks. Some have even complimented on the exhaust note from when the car goes from 2nd to 3rd on an aggressive take-off. Bottom line- enjoy your ride, because chances are, being it's one of God's chariots, it's a helluva lot cooler than 98% of the other cars on the road!
My first car was an '03 Olds Alero two door, with the 190HP V6, that was...bright red. I had a lot of fun memories in that car, growing up in southern WI, and it was actually deceptively quick.
Also, IDMTfirefighter, you're my philosophical brother...

#59 ·
I'm 55 years old and finally to that point in my life where I can get (within reason) what I want. So I'm waiting for my SRT to arrive. But if I were younger and/or more budget-conscious I'd be VERY happy to drive the Pentastar Challenger. My daughter's Grand Caravan and my Jeep Wrangler both have that engine and there's nothing to dislike about it. Unless you're into bragging rights.

#61 · (Edited)
Here is what I equate the V6 vs. V8 conundrum to........

It's a car for God sakes. Who the heck cares!!!!!!

#62 ·
Nothing "bad" at all with the V6. I near enough bought one. It is plenty fast, smooth and feels a bit more responsive in terms of handling then the Hemi. Unless you like to spend time racing, which I don't anymore, it has all kinds of performance for street driving. What made me choose my Hemi over the Pentastar was just a matter of character. I preferred how the Hemi felt and sounded. Would I have been unhappy with a Pentastar? No way. I would have loved it. I'll certainly never look down on anyone who chose that.

As far as the "does it have a Hemi?" question goes, I've already been asked if mine is a Hellcat, so there is pretty well always a bigger fish.

I wish Chrysler would bring out a supercharged, or turbocharged, manual transmission Pentastar and call it the T/A. That would be a true spiritual successor to the original, and a hell of a lot of fun to drive.

#63 ·
Hmmm, let's see. I have a modestly modded SXT and FIAT 500 Abarth. I don't even care that the FIAT can whoop up on the SXT let alone walk an R/T. Whaaaaaat???

#69 ·
Ahhhh, but my A is not stock and a bit lighter as well.

#70 · (Edited)
Unless the Fiat is modified,which you did not indicate,is a 15 sec car.And would not run anywhere close to the RT.And yes I drove an Abarth,in which I was impressed with the room inside as well as the quality and performance.It also corners well.Have not driven the SXT, but from what I've seen and heard it would not out run it either.
I do not have to kid myself, because I do not own an RT Challenger.
The owner of the Abarth said there are mods,and the boost can be turned up,But I have no idea what the results would be
I see you two beat me to the post..

Which is better than beat at the post.Or beat with a post.

#72 ·
it is still a nice looking car .i know before i bought my challenger i couldnt tell the difference between the v8 and the 6cyl.if you put 20 inch rims on a v6 car the average joe cant tell including myself until i got up close.are you looking to save fuel mileage or the extra money for an rt.also note i have 2013 jeep wrangler with the penstar v6 and it was no ball of fire.i got a superchips tuner and did the 91 octane tune and the thing really runs and got better fuel mileage.and it feels like the 300 hp

#73 ·
My SXT mods are in my sig. The mods to the A are a Road///Race Ultimate piggyback, cat less DP, axle back exhaust, intake, back seat delete, full suspension, yada, yada, yada.

Reactions: Erik
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.