Dodge Challenger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is a V6 Challenger as bad as people say it is?

70K views 341 replies 84 participants last post by  Rambit 
#1 ·
This is just in general with all v6 muscle cars. As a v6 challenger owner(Im only 16), I must say it does have a decent amount of power. I think people shouldn't make jokes about v6 muscle cars. Years ago 305 HP was a lot... and that was on a v8. State your opinion in the replies.

#277 ·
I didn't know that, I thought the 318 was the smallest engine, never seen one with a slant 6 either, interesting.

#5 ·
It seems you already have formed an opinion on the subject, so why ask? And yes, I can make jokes about your V6 just like you can make jokes about my over priced srt. It's the internet, opinions will be expressed , and you aren't going to like all of them

#6 ·
My car at 16 was a 1972 4 door Dart with a slant six and aftermarket a/c under the dash that filled the footwell with water. Here I am staring 40 in the face and I'm living on this forum reading everything I can in preparation of purchasing a V6 Challenger. I've got muscle sitting in the driveway. I'm looking for a sensible cruiser as a dd that I can rack up the miles, get decent mpg and still admire the car when I look at it or make a payment on it. In a way I guess I'm coming full circle...but that old Dart grocery getter sure wasn't much to look at. If I'm purposefully wanting a V6 for practicality I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks like that.

OK, secretly, I want an R/T Shaker but that would mean giving up my other play cars and it's just not practical for me right now.

#7 ·
My first car was a 6 in a GIGANTIC 1960 chevy. The V6 Challenger is a fun car to drive, looks great and is cool. Enjoy!

#8 ·
A v6 challenger on the road is just as likely to turn heads as an srt8 is. Also the v6's 305 hp is nothing to scoff at, especially when it is coupled with the 8 speed. Remember, the people who look down on v6 muscle cars like the challenger are most likely driving corollas and civics.

#9 · (Edited)
Nope it's not bad at all.

Consider this......a 5.7 Hemi is only ONE second faster in the quarter mile, now one second is a lot at the track but not on the street that much.....unless you're stupid enough to race for pinks.

Also with the 3.6 V-6 you have less weight over the front wheels, handles a little better in the tight stuff and the car is balanced well.

#10 ·
I have a 2012 V6 SXT and one of my friend says a lot of "jokes" about an automatic V6..

Yeah, a V8 it's more aggressive, but in first, I really love the look of the Challenger before the power. It's more expensive too (insurance also). Maybe, in the future, I will buy another Challenger, and a V8 this time.

Well. I'm very proud to be an owner of this baby :)

#13 ·
Take it from someone who originally had a V^ and let other people make me think I had less, well I got that big V8 Hemi when I got my 2011 GWE. AND you know what... I didn't like it as well.. HARK yeah I said it. I preferred the v6 for both handling fuel economy and common sense of a daily driver. When I first drove the GWE on the interstate... it vibrated..

Even I myself would make the joke to others when they would ask about the engine. I would say it's like a big *%^% that doesn't get hard.. Now I say about the v8 and some of the even bigger engines the stock RT its like a Big ^*% that stays hard all the time... I don't know which is worse..... I guess it depends on your perspective and who you are as a person.

Your sixteen... in time you will learn to like what you like and not care what anyone says.... and one day you will even relish the fact that your opinion counts just as much as anyone else's any enjoy that you have what you wanted not what other want you to have... I could have got any model I wanted.. I chose the 2015 v6 with the Super Track Pack and the factory sunroof.. Exactly what I wanted.........

#15 ·
I do admit I am a peculiar kind of fellow..

#22 ·
OMG!!! How could you possibly be content with a V6 Challenger!!!! Sell it off ASAP and buck up for a 392!!!! The huge Manatee's!!!!!!!!

#23 ·
I have a 2010 SE & like it just fine... I hardly ever just leave it in Drive and prefer to use the auto stick for more control through the gears ... It's not really a slouch ..(but it's not a Hemi either :) )

Depends of what you want I suppose... Mines a daily & I put about 60 miles a day on it... it gets quite a few looks every day ...

R

Reactions: Sith R/T
#24 ·
Old V6's used to be pathetic. Well technically so did the 8's. But the 6 cyl versions of "muscle cars" were extremely bad. Back in my F-body days I would join in on the ripping of people who tried to mod their V6's. Mainly cause it made no sense, V8's swaps were cheap and easy, actual performance parts didn't exist and even still it was still going to be a turd.

But then mfg's learned how to make some pretty powerful V6's. And with how prevelant Turbos and Superchargers are now, a 6 can be made to be every bit as strong as an 8 for a relatively small amount of cash yet still maintaining the advantage at the gas station.

The 3.6 helped the Challenger greatly as well, as the old 3.5 just was way too underpowered IMO for the size of car it was in. Especially considering the competition had 50 more hp and somewhat lighter cars.

#29 ·
Old V6's used to be pathetic. But then mfg's learned how to make some pretty powerful V6's. And with how prevalant Turbos and Superchargers are now, a 6 can be made to be every bit as strong as an 8 for a relatively small amount of cash yet still maintaining the advantage at the gas station.
Chrysler's durable 225 cubic inch slant six was probably the best one around at the time. It produced 145 gross hp and 215 lb/ft torque. Sixes have certainly come a long way in the past 50 years.

#25 ·
When I was your age (23 years ago) I drove a 1988 Camaro IROC Z with the 5.7 L98 engine. That engine had 240 BHP and I thought it was FAST! LOL. V6 engines have come a long way in the past 10 years. :grin2:

#27 ·
A V6 is all you need when you're 16. Learn how to drive or become an adult before considering anything more. Count your lucky stars that you have a RWD car at 16. If any of your friends gives you $h!t for a v6 make fun of them for owning a FWD car. Tell them that no matter how much HP they have they cant execute real drifts or do donuts in drive.

#30 ·
There is nothing "bad" about any of the current engines being offered for the Challengers. We should all be pleased that a wide range of options are being offered for the widest range of consumers.

Reactions: theodorelake1
#33 ·
a maroon 1983 Dodge Aries K 4 door,with the 2.2 litre 94 hp engine.That car would do 0-60 in 15 minutes,
I'm going to chuckle about that all day.

The lesson here (always a lesson) enjoy what you have - don't concern yourself with people hating - most importantly...when/if you do get a v8 car remember back when you had a v6 and what you didn't like about certain people saying about your v6.

#32 ·
A v6 Challenger is a lot more powerful than the cars that got me hooked on V8/rear drive- the typical car of the late 60s and early 70s. Oh yeah, the 440 Chargers and 455 Olds 442's were the hot thing, but most people had a 318 Satellite, a 350 Nova, a 302 Fairlane, or a 350 Cutlass. And we got them handed down from our folks, put glasspacks, Edelbrock intakes, and skyjackers on them, and had a blast! It was all good fun, enjoy your car and be thankful it isn't a generic Accord.

#34 ·
God this whole "V-6 is a muscle car-it has more power than most V-8s from long ago" is sooooooooo old. Thus the OP opened his thread with this. I'm sorry, but it appears he's trying to stir the pot in an already touchy subject, one that I have no opinion on. Give it a rest, buy what you want and think of it how you want.

#36 ·
.............and looks to have already made the mistake of buying the SXT. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.