Where Is The Oil Filter? 2012 3.6L - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SE/SXT model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 10:06 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Where Is The Oil Filter? 2012 3.6L

I own a 2012 Challenger SXT, just bought it apx. 4 days ago and I have searched and read the manual and cannot find, exactly where it is, I jacked it up and looked all around the oil pan and looked everywhere, There is this what looks like a wrench off type of plastic thing right in the center front of the engine but it has no indication of it being the filter, Can anyone enlighten me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 10:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

It is right in the front/top of the engine. It is the black plastic thing with a hex nut on top in front of the engine cover.

space

2011 SE Rallye, Bright White, 26G Pkg, SRT8 Type Spoiler, K&N drop-in, DRL's, Stealth Splash Guards, 20" Forged Mopar Heritage Classic's, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Modern Muscle Ported Intake Manifold & Throttle Body, 20% Tint, Front License Plate Bracket Delete

#3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 08:13 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamco View Post
It is right in the front/top of the engine. It is the black plastic thing with a hex nut on top in front of the engine cover.
Alright thanks!
#4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 10:55 AM
2LZ

Yes....someone finally got smart and put it on top!
I just bought one yesterday. Napa Gold (Made by Wix, I believe for Napa) I think it was a 7714, if memory serves correctly.

I crawled under to get to the drain plug and the whole underneath side is covered! I guess for aerodynamics and protection???????

Have to get some ramps now. My little jack doesn't go up high enough to put my stands under it!
#5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 AM

Right here:

Pauly
His: 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Hers: 2011 Dodge Challenger Rallye

#6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Supporting Vendor

Thanked 1,045 Times in 645 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
09 - Engine, 3.6L/Lubrication/FILTER, Engine Oil/Removal

REMOVAL

Labor Operations: Click to display a list of Labor Operations associated with this procedure

All engines are equipped with a high quality full-flow, disposable type oil filter. Chrysler Corporation recommends a Mopar® or equivalent oil filter be used.
CAUTION:When performing an engine oil change, the oil filter cap must be removed. Removing the oil filter cap releases oil held within the oil filter cavity and allows it to drain into the sump. Failure to remove the cap prior to reinstallation of the drain plug will not allow complete draining of the used engine oil.
1.Place an oil absorbant cloth around the oil filter housing at the base of the oil filter cap.

NOTE:The oil filter (3) is attached to the oil filter cap (2).2.Rotate the oil filter cap (1) counterclockwise and remove the cap (1) and filter (3) from the oil filter housing.

3.Remove the oil filter (3) from the oil filter cap (2).4.Remove and discard the O-ring seal (1).

09 - Engine, 3.6L/Lubrication/FILTER, Engine Oil/Installation

INSTALLATION

Labor Operations: Click to display a list of Labor Operations associated with this procedure

NOTE:It is not necessary to pre-oil the oil filter or fill the oil filter housing.1.Lightly lubricate the new O-ring seal (1) with clean engine oil.2.Install the O-ring seal (1) on the filter cap (2).3.Install the new oil filter (3) into the oil filter cap (2).

4.Thread the oil filter cap (1) into the oil filter housing and tighten to 25 N·m (18 ft. lbs.).5.Add oil, verify crankcase oil level and start engine. Inspect for oil leaks (Refer to 09 - Engine/Lubrication/OIL - Standard Procedure) .

hope that helps
Luke

THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH US
WE WILL NOT BE UNDERSOLD!!!!!!
PLEASE VISIT
WWW.STEVEWHITEPARTS.COM
FOR THE BEST MOPAR PARTS PRICES ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!
facebook.com/stevewhiteparts1
828-324-4410
800-779-3634
#7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 08:39 PM

What oil are you using?

Also did you have to buy the o-ring seal seperate ou did it come with the filter?

2011 Challenger SE, 2006 300C, 1967 Charger
#8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 05:18 PM

The O-ring comes in the box with the Napa Gold filter.
I run synthetic Mobil-1 in my 2011 for anyone wondering.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
#9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 05:44 PM
2LZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootdownthestars View Post
The O-ring comes in the box with the Napa Gold filter.
I run synthetic Mobil-1 in my 2011 for anyone wondering.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
The exact setup I just switched to last Saturday.......
#10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 09:09 PM

The 3.6 oil filter is perfectly positioned to drip oil all over the front of the engine while taking the old filter out. Another example of idiot auto engineers at work.

I'll bet one of the engineers brought some weed to work that day, and they all had a bunch of it while designing the oil filter and its location and laughing their heads off the whole time.

"Hey guys I got it - lets put the oil filter on TOP so it leaks all over the engine!!!"

"BBWWHHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAH YEAH THATS GREAT!!!! LET'S DO IT! Smith, come up with a good reason to have it there!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode