Dodge Challenger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why would anyone buy a V6 challenger?

116K views 570 replies 126 participants last post by  Rambit 
#1 ·
Money aside, there is literally no reason anyone should choose an SE or SXT over the RT. Larger motor, better suspension, it's just an all around better car. So tell me guys, why did you buy the V6 version instead of the muscle car?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#42 ·
I drove a 2010 Dodge Charger SXT with the 3.5l engine. It did what I needed to do, served its purpose but around 100,000 miles I started having transmission problems. Took it to a nearby dealer and they told me I would need to have a transmission replaced. I had walked the lot earlier in the day and saw a 2011 Dodge Challenger R/T with 12,000 miles. I straight up fell for this Challenger, parked next to the R/T was a v-6 Challenger of the same color. Spoke to a salesman got to crunching numbers and financially the v-6 made more sense. But the heritage of the R/T as a whole sold me, that and the test drive with ear to ear smiling.

#52 ·
I would be very interested in reading a sober and sane comparison from someone here of an RT and SXT. Driven under similar circumstances, similar or same road, etc. I hear about the weight difference due to the v8, but what does that really feel like? I didn't bother test driving an RT when I was buying my SXT. I found the SXT does handle surprisingly nicely in the curves, it doesn't lean much and it accelerates well, so I'm happy.

#51 ·
Motor Trend figure 8 results for 2015 SXT, Scat Pack & Hellcat

Motor Trend's figure 8 test is designed as a standardized measure of handling capabilities for comparisons between different cars. Here are the results for 2015 Challengers that were tested:

SXT: 25.9 seconds @ .73 g
SP: 25.5 seconds @ .81 g
HC: 24.7 seconds @ .85 g

#67 · (Edited)
Motor Trend's figure 8 test is designed as a standardized measure of handling capabilities for comparisons between different cars. Here are the results for 2015 Challengers that were tested:

SXT: 25.9 seconds @ .73 g
SP: 25.5 seconds @ .81 g
HC: 24.7 seconds @ .85 g
Interesting numbers. So I looked up the article.

R/T with Scat Pack:
0-60 MPH 4.2 sec
QUARTER MILE 12.6 sec @ 112.3 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 108 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.89 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 25.5 sec @ 0.81 g (avg)

SXT Plus STP:
0-60 MPH 6.0 sec
QUARTER MILE 14.5 sec @ 96.9 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 105 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.91 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 25.9 sec @ 0.73 g (avg)

Then I did some simple math for the R/T SP:
30% higher acceleration
3% slower braking
2% less lateral acceleration
1.5% faster in the figure 8 with 10% higher average acceleration.

This is actually saying the SXT made up time in the turns. And came within 1.5% lap time despite 37% less horse power.

#55 ·
The handling issue is likely more about the tire package and suspension tier present on that particular car, rather than any blanket statement you can put on v6 models vs v8 models (engine weight, f/r distribution, or otherwise). Once you put decent tires w lower profile and combine that with a stiffer (and likely lower) suspension, of course it is going to handle much better. None of the Challengers are having "trouble" attacking curves once you do that. The only question then is the driver skill, as far as what you can pull out of that performance envelope.

#58 ·
I'll be the first to admit that the 235 wide Michelin "touring" tires that come on a stock RT are way short for the job. It's not the car...it's the tires. If that is what is being compared in that magazine review, then no wonder they found it underwhelming. I would, too.

All of that changes, once you upgrade the tires (and who is "not" upgrading their tires once the originals have expired?). If the car starts out with low-profile, performance tires and a reasonably stiff suspension in the first place, that makes a world of difference in initial experiences.

#59 ·
Oh god....not this again.

Joke or not, if I read another thread full of people justifying their car purchase to other people on the internet, I'm gonna puke.

#62 · (Edited)
I'm completely onboard with the message you are trying to convey. My post just came after your post, and is not meant as a challenge to your thought.

I completely agree that .73 g is not all impressive...though, is that a skidpad number or figure-8 number? I guess not good if the former (SUV territory?), but good if the latter.

My earlier remark was just to point out that if people here are comparing to a base RT on 235/55r18 touring tires, that's probably where they are getting a false impression of its handling capabilities, relative to an SXT STP, which I'm guessing comes with better rubber on 20" wheels? It's the STP suspension...why wouldn't it perform great? It works great on an RT, too. Similarly, if you are on an SE on 17" wheels and less than ideal rubber (and softer suspension), don't expect any miracles there, either. It's not going to handle better than an RT just for being lighter up front (I think that is what people are trying to imply, here).

#61 ·
...........and here we go YET again...........

#63 ·
Probably the most common reason anyone buys a particular car is looks and/or gas mileage. Those could be reasons one and two, or two and one. Lots of people could care less what's under the hood.

There's many reasons why someone buys one model over another. I had one salesman tell me he has lost a sale because of cup holder placement...go figure!

My wife already doesn't like the way the center console opens on the 2015's and we haven't even taken delivery yet! Each to his own! That's what makes the world go 'round!:smile:

#64 ·
As far as performance goes, here's a post I made a couple months ago. The dealer I was buying my scat pack from gave me a SXT STP to drive around until the scat pack came in. I drove the sxt a little more than a week.

Yea the dealer gave me a 2015 SXT to drive until my scat pack comes in. I liked the old interior too, but I love the new one. I was never a fan of the plain old gauges in my 2010, and I really love the retro look of the new ones.

The 8.4 In uconnect screen is awesome! Driving this car is making me really excited for the end of the week!

One last thing, I'm surprised by the power of the SXT! Naturally, I've been driving it like I stole it, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the performance. Honestly, 0-60 feels very comparable to my 10 RT, however, after 60 is where you feel the biggest difference between the 2 as the SXT feels like it drops off shortly after.

I can't wait! And I'm glad to be staying with dodge for the foreseeable future.

As far as taking turns on twisty roads, I thought it felt very comparable. I did feel that it didn't perform as well in turns as my non STP RT, but my RT had a front strut tower brace, mopar stage one springs, and 255 tires all the way around.

#68 ·
I think it is a great question... V6 vs. V8?. I side with the V8. As I grew up in the 1960s and 1970s, the roar and power of the V8 was the only thing. However, my stepdaughter has the V6 Mustang premium and loves it. It is a great balance of looks, power fuel mileage, and price for her. As for me, I'll give up my V8 when I can no longer afford fossil fuel for it.

#71 ·
That is a great way to look at it Keith. Besides balanced performance and value for money, it is possible that the SXT with STP handles a little better. Money aside, range between gas stations is a real thing out west if you want to take side trips.

Unfortunately the original post has a derogatory tone. First stating unequivically the V6 is inferior in every way, then asking why anyone would choose it. It is hard to believe that an adult chose this phrasing unless it was intentionally divisive and inflammatory.

Attachments

#79 ·
Male drivers under the age of 25 might look towards the V6 for insurance purposes. The difference in premiums could EASILY be a couple hundred a month because of the smaller engine and generally lower value of the car.

People who travel a great deal would be interested in a V6 for the fuel economy, although with R\T's getting 26 or 27 on the highway it doesn't make THAT much sense really.

I sort of hesitate to dip my toe in here, but....many women I've known like the LOOK of a car and couldn't care less what was under the hood. Yes there are exceptions, including the woman who owns the 6M R\T parked about 80 feet away from me :)....she actually wants a stick Hellcat now (yes I know how good the A8 is). My ex had a couple of 6 cylinder Camaro's etc....she just really liked the car, didn't care what made it go.

So there are lots of legitimate reasons for a V6, without getting all snarky about it.

#80 ·
Interesting tidbit from the article:

CURB WEIGHT (F/R DIST) 3,900 lb (53/47%)

It's no longer the "svelte" weight of earlier SE's, nor is it 50/50 like somebody suggested earlier (not that I think 50/50 means all that much, in the first place). It weighs in like a Camaro SS at this point, right?

#86 · (Edited)
Still...3900 lbs is not a wispy-light SE Challenger, any longer.

Additionally, some RT's have come in around 3970-ish lbs, as well.

#87 ·
quite honestly the (current model) V6 is just the best value of options/performance for the money. A fully loaded SXT+ ($32,675) with every single option/package (including sunroof) is less than $200 more than an absolute base model, no options, R/T ($32,490).

Minus the V8 you get everything, and more, that the R/T offers in the SXT+

But you can't get the SXT in a manual. I'd be willing to bet the R/T would lose 25% of it's sales if the V6 came with an option for a manual trans

Reactions: rghoskins
#98 ·
Initially the manual is what got me to sell my special order 2010 Challenger SE Rallye and upgrade to an R/T. Both were pretty basic cars as I don't like a ton of options. I got an SE the first time because of money. After I had bought a house and had some other bills I decided I could afford to go up to the R/T.

Now I've ordered a Scat Pack M6 with only the Sound Group 2 Option. The new interior is what got me to upgrade this time. Scat Pack seemed like the best value to me this time. I did consider just getting a regular R/T, but what you get for the money (depending on what kind of deal you can get) really pushed me to the Scat Pack, and now money isn't really a concern.

Its all about what you feel is the best value for how much money you can afford. I'm not at a point in my life where I'm doing very well and I could afford a loaded SRT, but there isn't any value in the differences for me. My car will likely never see a track, I don't need any larger brakes and I don't need adjustable suspension. I don't like leather (though those cooled seats were super tempting, wish they could be had in a cloth seat) or sunroofs. I don't add options like the tech packages or 42 speakers and 2,000 watt speakers. None of those things add value, they just add cost.

I think a V6 would be an excellent choice for anyone who wants an automatic car. I think the level of performance it brings is really great for the price. I don't think anyone who buys one will ever be disappointed.

#90 · (Edited)
Ha! Better not go there Knocturnall. You are treading on sacred ground >:)

I like quiet cars. Bikes too. Mechanical and intake noise under load is enough for me to know what the engine is doing. Racing exhaust makes sense for racing. You trade driver fatigue for a couple of tenths per lap.

Stock Harley exhaust sounds good. It amazes me the thousands of dollars spent so Harleys can have a horrible blat with tinny overtones at full throttle. Like an old VW with a loose manifold.

#89 · (Edited)
I don't know if that [25% take rate from the RT] is a given or not. It comes down to the buying philosophy that is applied as far as picking the car...tons of options vs elemental powertrain aspects. Some are willing to go for a full platter of options while forgo certain critical aspects to the powertrain (v8 or manual...stuff that defines the very core of the car)...that strikes me as the SE/SXT demographic. Others feel the car must have certain key powertrain features foremost, and the options are gravy on top of that (get as much as is monetarily reasonable)...that would be the RT demographic. Then there are others who will spare no expense to have it all (and the rest of us can only dream)...that would be a highly loaded RT/SRT8 crowd.

If you're not willing to stretch a bit to get the v8, likely the manual transmission is not that important, either. Certainly there will be exceptions, but by the nature of exceptions, it will be only a small percentage (maybe not even enough to keep that viable as a option from a manufacturing standpoint).

I'm not even sure it makes much sense to hold a torch for a stick'n'clutch, now that the 8-spd auto is available. You really are giving up substantial performance by going with a manual in that scenario (the 8-spd and the v6 are the combo that was born to be together). You're really thinking that yanking the gears will be all that fun when you are dealing with 3900 lbs of car and sub-300 lb-ft torque to throw at it? That's even assuming that Dodge throws you a decent axle ratio to go with the manual. If they throw you a fuel economy ratio (which seems to be a #1 reason for the v6 model...fuel economy), then it was all for naught, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.