Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Wind noise....65mph

4K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  D2340 
#1 ·
Just bought 2015 sxt challenger...I'm getting a flapping/fluttering possible wind noise in the back half of the car.....when I detailed it the other day ...I noticed the rear wheel well in the rear pushed in when I wiped it....felt flimsy ...had other vehicals and they put a strut or reinforcement bar to hold it stable....are you telling me this doesn't vibrate or flutter doing 70mph...is this a problem....anybody with rear air noise...whats the fix....thanks guys

#5 ·
the windows are up......when I roll them down I can't hear it........but the wind noise is to load I think...right behind rear tire where you would mount a mud flap....doesn't feel like sheet metal...it pushes in with very little force...I think its plastic...does anybodys push in right there or is there a strut that holds it in place....could be platic inside wheel well to...it just has push button fasteners....and I can push that in also...just seen flimsy for a car that driven at high speeds at times.....

#6 ·
you might have a loose inner fenderwell.the best thing you can do is to make a video /audio with your cell phone and go back to the dealer so they can hear what noise your concerned about.seems everytime that happens to me it stops doing it as soon as i am gonna bring the car to the dealer to have it checked out

#7 ·
It may sound like it's coming from that area but be coming from one of your windows. ( when I roll them down I can't here it ) Try this: Roll both windows down and pinch together the little triangular piece that helps guide the window as you are powering the window up. do both window guides and see if that stops the noise. hope that does it for you, let us here if that works

#8 ·
I was wondering if it was the windows...I friend pointed out that the passenger side is flush with rear quarter glass ...but driver side is not....then he pointed out a pocket at the door meets rear quarter glass ...in the weather stipping...same on both sides though....I wonder....maybe it's normal

#10 · (Edited)
My passenger side is flush with the rear qtr window but the drivers side is only flush at the top and actually sits inward of the qtr window - so it presses harder against the rubber at the bottom.
I'm thinking you have a window adjustment issue or the door isn't adjusted to close quite hard enough.

Reactions: morgancal2015
#15 ·
Take a look at http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f188/found-rattle-310626/ Read this this morning and thought of this post. Might be what you are looking for.
I think the wheel well plastic is vibrating at speed from wind....a few guys have tape it to the fender well...one guy went to dearler and they put a 1ft piece of foam tape to stop it...I think this is the problem...just went out to car and there's a 1/8 in gap and when I tapped on it it sounds like that's it....going to clean with alcohol and tape tomorrow...I let you know.....excited...

#14 ·
Thanks Scott & D....just like you said Scott...flush on top and tucked in ever so slightly on bottom....maybe air hitting that window or ?....did you get your window or door adjusted scott...I was just hoping never to see dealer...I always try to fix myself if I can....thanks guys now I know I not crazy like my girlfriend says......she thinks my relationship with my challenger isn't normal...lol

#17 ·
Reactions: morgancal2015
#19 · (Edited)
It was a very common problem. I was a new guy here 3 years ago. The old bubbas must have left after the mass influx of Scat bubbas arrived. A lot were banned. Only a few old fixtures here now. When you have questions, do some searches as the answers are here.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: RockanRoll
#22 · (Edited)
I took mine in to get it fixed along with a bad wheel bearing. Wheel bearing is fixed and despite the service techs best efforts the flapping noise is still there. Text Document Font Paper Paper product

I was told it was fixed so I picked up BigBlue at lunch, and on the way back to work there's the flapping sound again...! It took 6 days to get my car back; I really do not want to take it back again. I'll call the service manager tomorrow. ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.