Dodge Challenger Forum banner

6-Speed Shifter Knob Replacement

30K views 38 replies 21 participants last post by  Irish 347 
#1 · (Edited)
6-Speed Shifter Knob Replacement Question

I see there are plenty of shifter replacements like Hurst. I am fine with the 6-speed shifting points, but would like to change the knob.

Has anyone just replaced the knob?

Will an aftermarket knob fit the shifter post?

How does the knob come off? Does it just unscrew off?

I see a few vendors with knobs, but the only pictures that they show the knobs installed are on the automatic trans.

Just curious as I don't want to have to change the whole assembly out if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I am not aware of any vendor that sells just a knob and as far as I know you cannot replace just the knob on the stock 6 speed. I do know that gunslinger sells a modified "Old School" pistol grip shifter that fits the stock shifter.

GUNSLINGER automatic and manual shifters

#4 ·
Or you can make or have made your own. I made a pool ball shifter and stick for my six speed before I finished my wood pistol grip. Found a local supplier for pool balls, $7, Found that a 6" long grade 8 bolt 1/2-13 with the head cut off and a flat ground or filed into the end of it made a great shifter stick. drilled and tapped 2 8x1.25mm holes into the flat. Bolt the shaft onto the shifter, install the shifter boot, screw on the pool ball after drilling and tapping for 1/2-13 NC threads. It makes a short handle shifter. After driving like this I would recommend a 7 inch long bolt, harder to find thou,,,,

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone. I didn't realize that you had to replace the whole shifter. I'll check out the shifters out there to see which one catches my eye.

Thanks again!

#16 ·
#14 ·
Core shifters on Ebay will probably be your best bet if you don't want to replace the entire mechanism. They used to have a package that came with a Hurst short throw stick which is what I'm using.

Take it easy
Jay

#17 ·
Hmmm? I see a cottage industry in my retirement strategy!

#19 · (Edited)
Yeah if you've got the machine shop and time seems like it would be profitable. You'd mainly need the black adapter piece and could combine it with other Hurst products or make you own sticks. I priced the Hurst parts out (white ball and stick) and it looks to be around $40.00 for what I paid for the adapter. Still well worth it in my eyes I might even continue to use the same setup on a Barton shifter at some point.

Take it easy
Jay

#21 ·
It's somewhat confusing since core-shifter sounds like you're buying a shifter but they are selling sticks and or adapters that are compatible with the stock shifter so you can replace the stick.

The adapter, Hurst whiteball, and Hurst stick used to sell from $90 to $100.00. It made for a nice way to move away from the stock shift handle at a 1/4 of the price of buying a new shift mechanism which is what you'd find from Hurst or Barton.

Take it easy
Jay

#22 ·
I see there are plenty of shifter replacements like Hurst. I am fine with the 6-speed shifting points, but would like to change the knob.

Has anyone just replaced the knob?

Will an aftermarket knob fit the shifter post?

How does the knob come off? Does it just unscrew off?

I see a few vendors with knobs, but the only pictures that they show the knobs installed are on the automatic trans.

Just curious as I don't want to have to change the whole assembly out if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance!
The stock shifter handle (grip) is molded onto the steel shaft then covered with leather and some plastic trim pieces...this is quite a genius design from Chrysler being it is just a big chunk of rubber (damper/isolator) absorbing 95% of the noise and vibrations coming up from the trans while contributing to the mushey feel, this explains why when one changes it to an all steel design it sounds like hell to most of us>:)

#26 ·
You might want to send them a message to see if they could make the adapter part for you or sell you the adapter with Hurst short throw stick and ball. I wonder if Hurst asked them to stop selling the adapter bundled with their shift arm and ball which is why it's not listed.

Maybe someone on the forum needs to start making them???
I'd imagine just the adapter set up with bolts so that people could choose their own sticks and handles would sell pretty well. I like the way my set up feels but it's nice to have the option to change it out to a Hurst pistol grip if I want to later.

It could be that enough folks wanted to save $30 and buy the arm and ball only that they stopped selling the Hurst short throw stick version.

Take it easy
Jay

#32 ·
Ebay Short shifter stick + Hurst knob 2009-15

As anyone got an update on how one of Short shifter stick + Hurst knob 2009-15 from EBay seller Core Shifters worked? Thanks

#33 ·
YES!

Yes I have. Installed it myself. Short throw, white Hurst logo ball, 6 speed pattern. $80 bucks. Honest opinion, love the look and feel of the Pistol grip, but like lingerie, its bloody useless in a street fight. New stick isn't significantly shorter, but is half the weight of stock. That took some getting used to, because it now seems to take more effort to complete shifts. The ball is infinatly more ergonomic, and shifts seem much more positive and precise. Slight increase in noise, but I've whacked my exhast and I rarely even notice anymore. All and all....short of $500, and a Saturday to install a Barton Shift kit, (stock linkage is shite, and I'm definatly going to do that next summer) the Ebay Hurst is an easy, comfortable, effective stop gap. You definitely want to add a skip shift module if you haven't already. Did that myself too, not expensive nor hard, and found significant improvement. Irish

Reactions: RTWaldo
#36 · (Edited)
I have the Core billet lever with the Hurst ball, found it on their ebay site.

Short Shifter Stick Hurst Knob 2009 15 Dodge Challenger R T SRT8 Hemi 6 Speed | eBay

This is a seriously easy install, took maybe 5 minutes and it is a nice quality piece and complete kit that includes the lever, bolts, ball and jamb nut, boot grommet, zip tie and instructions. Simply lift up around the edge of the surround starting at the back with something non-marring (I used a trim tool). Remove two 13mm bolts. Then unplug the connector for the controls, and remove the surround from the car. Next cut the o-ring on the underside of the leather boot, and pull up the leather tabs that are bonded around the lever (this was the hardest part). Then remove the stick, slide in the new one and zip tie the boot tight around the stick (there is a rubber grommet which looks great). Then re-install the assembly in the car. Center the shift knob, tighten the jamb nut and bam, you're done. It took me longer to type this.

Attachments

#38 ·
You have to get the lever, the factory knob cannot be replaced with a ball only. If you want the ball shift knob, you will need to do exactly what I did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.