Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Any alternatives to pillar gauge pods ?

13K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  seasdad 
#1 · (Edited)
I would really like to put some Gauges in my SRT but I really dont care for the pillar mount set up.

I like the looks of the duel mount set up in the SMS car
SMS Supercars - 570 Challenger
I emailed them to see if there was a possibility they would sell them aftermarket but have yet to receive a response.

Does anybody know of a pod like this that would work and fit properly in the Challenger ?.......

#2 ·
I want to add a couple of gauges also, but the problem is where to mount them. I also like the pod on the dash, even though it means putting a hole or holes in the dash to mount it. I guess it wont matter if you do not remove it.
Let us know what you find out on that pod.

#3 ·
I went to Summit Racing today and I found a nice dash pod like the one on the SMS car. Its made out of plastic that looks like carbon fiber.
I tried to get a PN but the line was too long to wait, they had 2 or 3 gauge pods for 2 1/16 gauges. I will get the PN's soon. I know the price was 17.00 for the 2 hole and 18.00 for the 3 hole pod.

#6 ·
I have the SMS pod, although I ended up ditching both of the gauges (boost and intake air temp) that came with it. Frankly I was surprised that they'd sell it to me as a separate piece; maybe I just got lucky. And of course they sold it with the gauges installed, so it wasn't cheap.

I'd say the fit is "OK", but as you can see in the pic below it is not perfect. Some careful dremel work and a lot of patience might improve things, or perhaps the use of some sort of mounting gasket:

#8 ·
I have the SMS pod, although I ended up ditching both of the gauges (boost and intake air temp) that came with it. Frankly I was surprised that they'd sell it to me as a separate piece; maybe I just got lucky. And of course they sold it with the gauges installed, so it wasn't cheap.

I'd say the fit is "OK", but as you can see in the pic below it is not perfect. Some careful dremel work and a lot of patience might improve things, or perhaps the use of some sort of mounting gasket:

I like the style but fit and finish doesnt seem to be there, I would think the SMS pod would be of better quality. How does this attach ?, screws, double sided tape ?.
Thanks for the pics....

#7 ·
Razors edge is the best gauge pod it looks like factory

Buckwheat

#10 ·
I dunno. Isnt there an issue with an airbag in the a-pillar? or did I misread that somewhere?... Also...If the price difference is really 180$, I think I can find something to gasket that SMS or Summit racing dash one :p

#11 · (Edited)
There is overlap with the side curtain airbag into the A-pillar space. That's why the planned Mopar pillar gauge pod was scratched from their catalog.

The SMS unit uses four plastic "skeleton pin" retainers; you use a template to drill the holes and then press the unit into place. Honestly, I wouldn't choose this pod again... I placed confidence in the fact that SMS was using this pod and gauge setup, and just assumed it would be the best available solution. It's possible that their installers know a few tricks that would improve the fit, I dunno. Also possible that the depth of one or both of my gauges might change the fitment slightly...

Buying a "carbon fiber" pattern that matches the SRT8 dash trim would be my next choice; that way you don't have to worry about matching texture and color to the stock dashtop. I like the Summit 3-gauge pod pictured above; it's cheap enough to buy just to see how it would look. And you'd have room for another gauge, of course.

#13 ·
I was toying with the idea of a boost and AFR gauge on the hood (you know, just outside the windshield on the driver side) like the old school dragsters. Just a thought. I've never installed them like that before however it used to be common back in the day. Just a thought. I did a silly photoshop of one and it didn't look bad. What do you guys think?

#18 ·
just need to monitor the air fuel.... besides at red light.. i do howver think it could look good up there.

#20 ·
Hey Buckwheat thanks for the razors edge post was sitting here this am trying to figure out how to get my new zeitronix gauge in --googled challenger pillar gauge pod, got your post, called razors edge, got them at 8am --their phones roll to someones house afterhours. They have a single gauge pillar it's just what I needed and they will ship it today-Ill get it tomorrow--wow what service!!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.