Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Gun holster...where to put it?

54K views 131 replies 73 participants last post by  Futurion 
#1 ·
Hello All!

I would like to know where is everyone putting there gun holsters? I bought one system but it is too long for our steering column. I know this can be a "TOUCHY" issue right now...If you want just pm me a picture if you don't want the world to know...Thanks again for your time and consideration!! Keith

Reactions: Zute
#2 ·
My little XDM 3.8 fit in the console nicely but I dont have a holster yet. Ive seen some neat Kydex holster kits that you have to put together. You may be able to secure it to the car instead of leather.

Reactions: gnslngr
#3 ·
I too just put my XM-9 Sub-Compact in the center console. My XD-M .40 3.8 also fits in there. I put it upside down (hand grip up and barrell to the rear). But I am left handed and it is easy for me to cross-over and grab it with my left hand.

In Florida it needs to be concealed (not in plain view). There is some rule about the need to make two moves to get to it (something like that).

Do a search on this forum. There was a string a while back or some ideas with pics.

#15 ·
....There is some rule about the need to make two moves to get to it (something like that).
According to a Pinellas County Deputy, who taught me a few things on the range a few years ago, that is totally false.

As far as where I keep my Glock 19, usually under the seat, in it's case. I'm not to happy with that, so I'm looking for ideas too.....

srg

#4 ·
#6 ·
I keep my Taurus 24/7 Pro C .40cal in my center console. It fits in right in the little drop downs on the left and right side. I am investigating options to use a kydex type form fitting holster and mount via velcro or rivets to the bottom of steering wheel or on the console sides up towards the shifter. Not very tactical having it in a closed off compartment, but still better then not having it at all.

#7 ·
#17 ·
Do you mean "magazine"? :dunno:

#11 ·
I bought some industrial strength Velcro and stuck it to the side of the center console right in front of the edge of the passenger seat. I had an old nylon holster with the other end of the Velcro on it and it stuck just fine. Holds my duty SIG p229 quite nicely and is removable if I need to. I'll try to get a pic later.

#12 ·
I dont have any of those but I do have an XD compact...

#14 · (Edited)
#18 ·
Yeah, these laws can be confusing. I think also that's if you don't have a CCP. I have mine so I can keep mine on me so long as its concealed. I have also heard weird things about having multiple steps, or encased, and because of that I keep my Glock 21 in the glove box. I've been pulled over probably 3-4 times since I've started doing that, always hand my permit and license at the same time, tell them I have a pistol in the glove, and never had any problems (in fact, every time that's happened I've gotten out of a ticket).

So are people positive you can keep it under your seat like the gunslinger? Maybe you can only keep it under your seat if you have a permit since its technically concealed? The one attached under the steering column is a little intense for me.. and feel like it might be visible.. which in Orlando means your car gets broken into.

#25 ·
Center Console

My XD-40 Sub-Compact tucks nicely in the center console niches with the muzzle pointed down. I am left-handed, but shoot right-handed. In Georgia the inside of your car is the same as the inside of your home. Your gun can legally be kept anywhere inside of the car.

#26 ·
Here we go.

And

#29 ·
"2nd (amendment) to none!!" Just as important as freedom of religion and speech IMO. Our Amendments (first ten anyway) were created to address the rights of individuals and limit the control of the central government over states/individuals etc....don't want to stray from topic....you get the point :)

But yes, it is different from many cultures Reznor- and I agree= Be safe!

#30 ·
I also have one of these Gum Creek holsters, have it hooked on the side of the manual shift boot and under the edge of the center console on the drivers side, so it is partly hidden by my leg when driving. Gun is also an XD-9 SC (I am a bit surprised how many people here choose the XD or XDm). Like others have said know your state laws.

#31 ·
I think the only time my car gun is in the glove compartment, its when my challenger is resting. Other that its nestled between the outer side of my thigh and the seat and my PPS 40 in my iwb holster. I got stopped by Dps, I let him know I was carrying concealed. He asked where it was, I told him next to my thigh and one on right side. He goes you expecting a gun battle, my response was " you never know" he smiled and got a warming for speeding. Got to love Texas!!!!

#32 · (Edited)
For me part of the reason I carry is that I often have to drop the night deposit for work, and people have been killed around here when ambushed dropping bank deposits. It has happened multiple times at one particular bank about 2 miles from where I work, that bank has a history of bad luck though, back in the 1980's it was one of a handful of banks that were robbed by bandits in a stolen helicopter.

Ike

p.s. when my XD-9 SC is in the car without me it rests in a bulldog car gun vault

#33 ·
I'm an H&K guy, P2000 dual action only LEO trigger, currently I just use a nylon hostler without any sharp object and slide it between the seat and center console.

Been looking for a center console safe but the under seat rig is interesting. I need something I can secure when going into a building or store front that does not allow firearms.

I have a nice little setup in the trunk for the SP89 but I like to keep that a secret.

To the guy above, MAG is shorter then clip....... oh and just in case we go there, it's called a suppressor not a silencer. :)

#35 · (Edited)
I carry an Keltec PF9 in my center consol in a uncle mikes IWB holster. Gotta love all the XD's out there, I have an original XD 45 and I love it. Would love to get an XD 9 for a companion for it.

Florida Law for Conceiled Carry Depends on if you have your CWP or not.

If you do NOT have a CWP and have a firearm in the vehicle it has to be in some kind of enclosure that, clips, snaps, zips, or some other kind of encloser and must be out of visual sight, can be as simple as a holster with a snap clip to hold it in place, or a zip lock bag.... Now if you are carrying like this do not get pulled over in a school zone or your SOL.

If you have your CWP you can cary any way you want long as its out of sight.

Also we can thank Hollywood for screwing up clip and magazine. If you have a semi auto it takes a magazine, if you have a rifle with a fixed magazine then you can use stripper clips to load it.

I agree using clip incorrectly is like someone running their nails down chalk boards. Had to help even my dad correct that one. Thanks Hollywood.

#36 ·
Hey, revolvers can take (moon) clips too! Yeah, for some reason that one makes me cringe too, probably because the antis use it so much: "This assault weapon had a banana clip in, making it 100 times more deadly!!!". :rolleyes: I also use 'mag' for short.

Attachments

Reactions: Rales and gooney0
#37 ·
I keep my glock 19 in the little cubby hole in my door. I bought a cheapo holster with a belt clip, and the belt clip clips nicely to the door edge of the cubby hole. The only catch is that you can see it when you open the door, but A) its black and hard to see and B) i have a CCL so i don't give a crap if people see it.

Honestly the glove box and center console are tempting places to put it, but consider how much time it would take to reach your weapon? The key is to be able to get the weapon in your hand without somebody at your window seeing you do it.

Save your glove box for extra magazines :)

#38 ·
consider how much time it would take to reach your weapon? The key is to be able to get the weapon in your hand without somebody at your window seeing you do it.

Save your glove box for extra magazines :)
About 2 seconds for me.

If someone is that close to my window and is endangering me then I wasn't paying enough attention to my surroundings in the first place.

There's never going to be a place you will be able to get to it "quick enough" in every situation.

#40 ·
Sometimes you can see it coming, but still be boxed in like in city traffic or at the drive-thru ATM, for example. I don't think that speed of deployment or discretion should be neglected just because we're in a car. Tint can be an ally and that's one reason why cops hate it. Whatever we come up with is always a compromise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.