Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Horn Replacement

17K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  3 peddles 
#1 ·
I know people (myself included) have mentioned that the stock horn just doesn't sound right for this car in a number of other threads like "Gripes about the Challenger" and so on.

I think the stock horn is loud enough, but the pitch just doesn't "do it" for me - too high. I'd like something deeper and even louder if I can find one. I'd like to keep the stock horn for both inspection and when you unlock the doors. But on the highway, when someone's driving like your grandma in the fast lane, oblivious to the line of traffic a half mile long behind them or someone cuts you off, I want them to think a semi is crawling up their behind when I blow the horn. I'm talkin' LOUD (90 - 120 DB) and SCARY.

I'd prefer to go electric only as opposed to air horns (not entirely ruling them out). Thinking the setup will be simpler, less costly and take up less room under the hood. That being said, I'd also like to be able to switch between horns by remote rather than an after-market switch that would be visible in the interior.

I've got a lead on a remote switch that works for 12v systems. Now I'm looking for the horns themselves. I want to find something online that at least has some sound files so you can hear what you're buying. Anyone got any recommendations? (Tried JC Whitney, but no sound files on their site.) Also been doing some searches online with no success so far.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#8 ·
Wolo has a website that lets you hear sound files of all their horns. IMO the Fire Chief model has a great "get your attention" sound. It sounds just like a fire truck, it's a air horn though.

WOLO MFG. CORP. VEHICLE HORNS, WARNING LIGHTS, LIGHT BARS, SIRENS & ACCESSORIES
THX also for the WOLO info. Been up on the site already. Haven't found the right sound yet.

I'm really looking for something like the horn from the 1977 movie "The Car". You can hear the horn over the woman's scream near the end of this clip: YouTube - Movie The Car 1977.

#3 · (Edited)
#6 ·
I like these, they sound like the 60s-70s cars but louder (136 dB)...STEBEL S.p.a. The Magnum 80, electro-magnetic version is the one you want to look at. These are Italian made so Fiat may even honor your warranty :D

Here's a chromed set on eBay...
STEBEL MAGNUM Twin ELECTRIC HORN KIT 12V CHROME FRONT - eBay (item 350212139013 end time Jun-19-09 23:01:41 PDT)
THX for the info. There are one or two that might fit the bill. I am looking for something with more BASS sound, like the 300 HZ.

#4 ·
Our Challengers have horns?? Damn and all this time when I wanted someones attention I was just reving the motor! :)

Okay I do agree that the horn doesn't sound "right", needs a little more bass to it I think.

#5 ·
Could be worse, they could have opted for say the Beep Beep horn!

#7 ·
I'm thinking some Cadillac horns from the late '60's or early '70's.

#9 ·
I had a lucid moment thinking I'd go directly to the source. I sent an email to Barris' website last night asking what horn was used in the movie. They responded that they can't respond to "tech questions" due to legalities. Bummer.

#11 ·
I used to have a 1980 Fiesta with air horns. They were the kind you got at the auto parts store with a small compressor, clear tubing, and the dual horn set up. They were loud. People would jump just like they did in the train horn videos, lol. I even had a real train honk back at me while driving next to it on a highway that the rail road was next to. I have another set I want to put in my 240SX.

#12 ·
I'm not sure I want the SOB that I'm blowing my horn at to lose control in front of my Chally. Could be ugly but then again I really think a train horn or something that deep would scare the bajesus out of them and cause them to think twice before cutting a Chally off :rofl:

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.