Dodge Challenger Forum banner

how to lose the paddle shifters???

10K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Ashoka 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have 2012 Challenger R/T classic with auto. Love everything except the paddle shifters. They are in my way when I drive and not useful to me since I am not going onto a road course anytime soon. How can I remove them? Is there a replacement part I can order to switch out so the steering wheel is the same as on a manual trans car? I was told the paddles themselves couldn't be removed but not sure that is accurate. Anyone got any knowledge or feedback on how to lose the paddles?:|

#2 ·
I thought I was the only one that hated these paddles. My challenger is a manual but my wifes Charger R/T has the paddles and yes they do get in the way when driving and turning. I think Hurst shifters used to make replacements but Im not sure if they are positioned or angled back any differently

#9 ·
I don't like mine either.... Love to know how to get rid of them (other than with a dremel)

#6 ·
I don't know that I'd like the paddle shifters, either. Fortunately, they did not come on my [mind you: AutoTrans-equipped] Challenger.

...which is to say, you should be able to order a replacement steering wheel that has everything your current steering wheel has except for the paddle shifters.

#7 ·
I hit the paddles not meaning to sometimes, no big deal. They can get in the way & are very touchy! But overall I've gotten use to them and really like them. Sometimes I drive strickly with the paddles and when I feel lazy I let the auto take over. Best of both worlds.

#25 · (Edited)
I've done the accidental bump of the shifter myself a few times. For years, I drove an automatic with my hand occasionally resting on the shifter, perhaps from missing the feel of a manual shift on my RX7. That was a bad habit I had to train myself out of. I'm glad that I rarely do that anymore or I might bump it a lot more than I do. I do kinda wish I could just turn off the slap stick. I don't mind the paddles, like you, I've never hit them by mistake. Although, I can understand if someone feels that they are a little bit in the way depending upon how one likes to hold the wheel.

I must say, I started driving learning with "3 on the tree" in a 62 Chevy, but was never really good at manual transmissions. I was clunky and not confident with the clutch. I especially remember having great fear of coming up to stops at the top of hills or trying to parallel park on a hill in my teen years with a Chevy Vega manual. However, I got a Mazda RX7 in 86 that had a wonderful manual transmission. That's been the only manual I've driven since I was a teenager. It was so smooth that it almost seemed to shift itself.

That said, I haven't even really tried my paddle shifters yet. I don't really get the concept behind them. I probably should read up on them, but haven't felt the desire. How can a driver "feel" the gear that they are in with a paddle? Do they have to look at the numbers on the dash? The old standard shift is so spatially oriented that it becomes second nature and the driver feels connected to the different gears. I'm not sure how a driver could do that with a paddle. So far, I haven't been in any situation with my automatic Challenger when I suddenly felt that I wanted to be in a different gear than I was in automatically.

I'm also a little curious if the OP actually found a way to remove the paddles or not?

#14 ·
Should be able to unbolt them and buy the panels from a 6 Speed car to cover up the holes.
Same thought here - those paddles are extensions on switches in the column. It would be far less $$$ to remove them vs. changing out the steering column.

If you ever decided to sell / trade the car, you could put them back in...no complications with the sale.

#11 ·
Really!!! Someone who hates the paddle shifters. Man, I hear ya, theodorelake1, maybe they should have bought a Prius. Obviously someone has not learned to drive a performance vehicle, or they are stuck in the 70's. I believe most performance cars now days come with paddle shifters. As manual transmissions fade to the wind due to technology, paddle shifters will become the norm. Most high end Euro cars come equipped with paddle shifters. I wonder how Indy and Formula 1 drivers would drive their High Horsepower Race Cars without them. It kills me when we get folks on the forums who bring up dumb complaints. Kind of like the guy who hates his SXT. If you didn't want paddle shifters, then why didn't you use some patients and find a Challenger that did not have them. Quit your little boy crying and learn how to drive your car. If you're all thumbs then maybe you shouldn't drive anyways. Crap, sell the car to someone who will enjoy it and knows how to drive it. There is always Bob Bondurant's school of driving. I loved it back in the day when I went. Learned how to watch out for jerks on the road and also how and when to pull the trigger on all of the performance vehicles I have owned over my life. Money well spent. Hey, look into it, you may learn how to use paddle shifters.

#16 ·
Really!!! Obviously someone has not learned to drive a performance vehicle, or they are stuck in the 70's. It kills me when we get folks on the forums who bring up dumb complaints. Kind of like the guy who hates his SXT. If you didn't want paddle shifters, then why didn't you use some patients and find a Challenger that did not have them. Quit your little boy crying and learn how to drive your car. .
Patients are in a doctors office or an emergency room.

Patience is what it takes to takes to turn the other cheek when there are posts such as this :thumbsup:

#13 ·
Hey guys don't get me wrong...I think the technology and theory of manually shifted autos is great. I just have big hands and like to drive with my elbow resting on top of the door panel and left hand on the center/left of steering wheel with right hand on shifter....been driving like that forever, auto or manual trans, truck or car. However when I get in my wifes 2014 Charger R/T with paddles I just cant drive/steer like I normally do. Im not a "10 and 2 O'Clock" kinda driver. I'm sure if I drove the Charger daily I would adapt, but I sure wish the paddles were an option because as an owner I have yet to manually shift the Charger since buying it and my wife never will.

#17 ·
O well, misspelled my word. Still stand by my post. Too many folks complain about things in the forums. The forums are here to share info on our cars. To complain about issues on an outstanding car just makes no sense to me. Paddle shifters are the new norm on performance cars. Quicker shifting results in quicker acceleration. If you have a manual car, all the power to you. If you have paddle shifters, adapt to the technology. As stated in my post, manual shift cars are becoming a thing of the past. As automatic transmissions add gears (8 speed) to gain gas mileage, paddle shifters will be the norm. Done with this post, just in case I misspell something.

#18 ·
It wasn't a post complaining, it was a post asking if they can be removed. That's part of "sharing info on our cars". Complaining about issues makes no sense to you? Yeah we are all sooo satisfied with the challenger in every way possible, because we are all as simple minded as you. Bringing issues to a forum, is you know, a part of the function of the forum.

So let me get this straight...someone makes a post about trying to remove their paddle shifters, and you roll in here and bash them for asking such a dumb thing, because you think they so great.....right?

Though I'm responding to a post where the author has "chally" in their name, I guess I should have known better.

#24 · (Edited)
So much passion over paddles!
In elementary school ,wish I could have removed the paddles from the teachers hands.In high school the board.
Good thing I didn't stay in college,there was talk of them using a bat.With my name on it!
Only joking about the makeup,unless it's true.The 6spd guys give us auto drivers fits about our manhood.
I don't take anything on a forum serious.(Except good advice!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.