How to take apart the dash??? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Interior Discussion / Modifications If you are interested in modifying your Dodge Challenger's interior, this is the place to talk about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 08:57 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
How to take apart the dash???

THAT'S IT! I've had enough... a while back you may have remembered I posted about a rattle in my dash on the driver side and my many misadventures to have the noise fixed.

It has RETURNED and I can't STAND IT anymore!!!

I still can't bring myself to the point that I want to let a dealership have at it as we all know there is a good chance they will not treat the car with as much care as someone like us would. That, and I don't have weeks for them to joy ride my car to figure out what I already know (mainly, what the noise sounds like, where it's coming from and what circumstances cause it to happen)

I've decided I want to take apart the dash so I can snoop around for the culprit but without knowledge of where all the screws and clips are I fear I might break something.

Does anyone have a link to a service manual or instructional tutorial of how the dash comes apart in a 2010 Challenger SRT-8?

I've taken dashes apart before in many of my cars when installing things like GPS antennas and lighting mods in my ricer days (lol) but I really want to make sure I do this properly as I can't stand the thought of messing up my beloved Challenger.

Please help me out!

I will post up more video once I find the NEWEST cause of this elusive little bastard of a rattle.

2012 Dodge Challenger 392 SRT-8, 6-spd, Header Orange
MODS: Zoomers 3" Cat-back Exhaust w/ X-pipe, Speedlogix Carbon Fibre Cold Air Intake, Diablosport InTune, Hurst Competition Plus 2 Short Throw Shifter, Mopar Strut Tower Brace, Mopar/Kicker Stage III Audio, Diode Dynamics LED Footwell Kit, 20% Tint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Supporting Vendor

Thanked 1,046 Times in 645 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
23 - Body/Instrument Panel/COVER, Instrument Panel/Removal

REMOVAL

Labor Operations: Click to display a list of Labor Operations associated with this procedure

Special Tools: Click to display a list of tools used in this procedure

Click here to launch the form to order any tools you need.

C-4755 - Trim Stick

Originally Shipped In Kit Number(s) 9299, 9299CC, 9299CC, 9300A-CAN.

1.Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle. (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/PANEL, Instrument - Removal) 2.Remove the headlamp switch.3.Remove the Wireless Ignition Node (WIN). (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules/RECEIVER, Wireless Ignition Node - Removal) 4.Remove the instrument panel speakers. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8A - Audio and Video/SPEAKER - Removal) 5.Using Trim Stick C-4755 or equivalent, remove the center bezel (2) from the instrument panel (1) by releasing the snap retainers from the instrument panel.6.Disconnect the electrical connectors and remove the center bezel from the vehicle.7.Remove the radio. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8A - Audio and Video/RADIO - Removal)

8.Remove the passenger airbag. (Refer to 10 - Restraints/AIR BAG, Passenger - Removal) 9.Disconnect the light sensor and remove.10.Remove the glove box opening front fasteners (1).

11.Remove left and right top cover fasteners (1).

12.Remove the lower mounting fasteners (1) located in the center stack.

13.Remove the upper mounting fasteners (1) located in the center stack.

14.Remove the mounting fasteners (1) located in the cluster opening.15.Remove the fasteners securing the HVAC ducts to the top cover.16.Remove the remaining fasteners.17.Remove the wire harness from the instrument panel.18.Separate the top cover from the instrument panel frame.

THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH US
WE WILL NOT BE UNDERSOLD!!!!!!
PLEASE VISIT
WWW.STEVEWHITEPARTS.COM
FOR THE BEST MOPAR PARTS PRICES ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!
facebook.com/stevewhiteparts1
828-324-4410
800-779-3634
#3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Supporting Vendor

23 - Body/Instrument Panel/BEZEL, Instrument Cluster/Removal

REMOVAL

Labor Operations: Click to display a list of Labor Operations associated with this procedure

Special Tools: Click to display a list of tools used in this procedure

Click here to launch the form to order any tools you need.

C-4755 - Trim Stick

Originally Shipped In Kit Number(s) 9299, 9299CC, 9299CC, 9300A-CAN.

1.Before proceeding with the following repair procedure, review all warnings and cautions.2.Remove the steering column opening cover. (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/COVER, Steering Column Opening - Removal) .3.Remove the cluster bezel mounting fastener.4.Using Trim Stick C-4755 or equivalent, carefully remove the cluster bezel.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Supporting Vendor

tried to copy and paste from the service info, sorry didnt paste as well as it could off
Luke
#5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Supporting Vendor

23 - Body / Instrument Panel / COVER, Steering Column Opening/Removal

REMOVAL

1.Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.2.Remove the screws that secure the steering column cover to the instrument panel.3.Pull the steering column cover rearward at the top and right side of the cover to release the snap retainers from the instrument panel.4.Disconnect the wire harness connector from the trunk release switch, if equipped.5.If required, remove the screws (3) that secures the instrument panel steering column cover reinforcement (1) to the bracket (2) and remove the reinforcement from the vehicle.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Supporting Vendor

warning, remember to disconnect the battery and wait at least 10 minutes to disarm the srs system
Luke
#7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 10:24 AM

(Thread Starter)
Wow, thats awesome.

I'm going to do my best to take as little out of the car as I can. So far i've removed the plastic trim and door sill trim so I could properly pop out the plastic cover on the under-side of the steering wheel. There's a metal plate that, once removed, gives you free and clear access to the majority of what's under the dash.

I'm going to search in there and will hopefully have more luck since I wont have to crawl upside-down near the pedals to look up underneath like before (which made me dizzy and limited how much I could fiddle with since my arms couldn't really contort to reach under there).

I think the rattle knows i'm on to it because it fell eerily silent. I'M COMIN' FOR YA!!!
#8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:13 PM

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Iron, I'm looking forward to see the results of your findings. Good luck bud!

Luke...you are the man for providing that information.

Thanks,
Roland

#9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Supporting Vendor

No problem, my pleasure
Luke
#10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 02:57 PM

(Thread Starter)
Alright, here's another video of the rattle and how little it takes to make the noise. The really loud noise that happens twice is my cell phone vibrating FYI.

It looks like I may have found the solution (but I've thought that before only to have the noise come back so only time will tell)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Interior Discussion / Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode