Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter for Autos

18K views 78 replies 17 participants last post by  HurstPerformance 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed this yet? Any issues? Pics? Just curious as I'm debating ordering one.

#5 ·
I have the new version in my 2016 Hurst Charger. It works fine, and the quality and appearance seem to be fine. I just don't care much for shifters with the finger grips made into them. I would have preferred a version of the previous gated shifter with round ball, but I guess the electronics of the 8-speed rule that out.

Here's a photo of it in my car:

It was installed in my car as part of the Hurst conversion, so I can't speak as to how easy it is to install.

#6 ·
I dig the look but curious to know if the whole plastic trim come off as in the challenger it extends up the center of dash encompassing some of the controls see pic. The directions I found on the install show the pics for a Charger. Im assuming that whole piece is to be removed on the challenger?

Attachments

#7 ·
The Hurst website says they are sold out now. I put my name on their list for updates.

No price mentioned, so that kind of scares me, but I'm game for this. I had a pistol grip shifter in my 2013 Challenger automatic, and I loved it.

#17 ·
I guess its possible as long as there was a mechanism to depress the shifter to put it in gear. Id be almost inclined to think that it could be done with some kind of lever under the ball where you would pull up in order to depress the shifter to put in gear. something like the below

Attachments

#31 ·
Great you got it working :thumbsup:

A Guy

#41 ·
Hey guys, I got the shifter on there and man does it look and feel good. I took pictures of the process of removing the interior pieces which I will post later since they aren't included in the instructions. My trigger is spring loaded and works great except possibly in one instance. I'd like to know if this is happening with anyone else...when in autostick pulling back to upshift works normally...but I actually have to press the trigger to be able to push forward to downshift. It isn't a big deal to me if that is how it was designed but I'd like to know if anyone else has this issue. Thanks everyone and I'll post pics to help everyone else out after I change my oil, filters, etc...

#43 ·
I have a similar problem. Upshifting is smooth and appear normal. On the down shift i have to ever so slightly depress the trigger or else it clicks and just doesn't feel right. I have tried adjusting it a few different ways to no avail. I have been in touch with Hurst customer support on the issue and was informed that this should not be happening and did not happen on the units they tested. They are supposed to be sending me a new one however I have not received it yet due they the company awaiting some components. Ill keep you posted.

#45 ·
My Hurst Charger was one of the first to have this shifter. I do have to depress the trigger lock to downshift. I suppose that's a good safety feature to have so you don't accidentally bump it and downshift when you didn't mean to.

Reactions: Raditude
#47 ·
I am going to assume the manual mode still works like before, just slide it over to the left? As for the original shifter handle, I think I read somewhere it gets tucked inside the console, because it is wired up to the trans? The stock shifter handle looks ok to me, but this one looks super cool.

#50 ·
I installed mine was night and I also have to use the trigger in manual mode for downshifting.

My trigger also wasn't working initially so, once installed, I gave it a very firm squeeze and it seemed to unlock it. It works fine now, other than manual mode. I can get used to that if I have to.

#51 ·
Hey guys, I did get in contact with Hurst and they sent me a replacement trigger...with no instructions for install. I haven't got around to taking the shifter handle apart and swapping the triggers to see if it fixes the issue. I'll try to update you guys soon if I can work it out.

#55 ·
Reactions: 2015SXT
#52 ·
Pics of mine.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.