Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Installed - Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter for 2015+ Automatics

9K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  kenandjenn4551 
#1 ·
Got this on overnight with only slitting my fingers open twice...

The instructions that come with it are for the charger so a couple of things were different. It took be forever to figure out I didn't need to pull the whole center console piece out (around silver surround) and that i only needed to fit my trim tool between the black glossy ring and the dull shift plate.

You will need trim piece remover tool set and a torx screwdriver t-something...

But I got it on without breaking anything and it works just fine. It has a great feel to it and my only real complaint is that the trigger is pointless. It isn't hooked into anything, not even a spring to push back out when you push it in.. just kind of depresses and stays or whatever... they might as well not even put it on there. Or maybe I missed something...

for that, i give it a 4/5 star :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I recently installed mine as well. The trigger for me appears to be spring loaded and working as it should. The only issue i have now is i noticed that when down shifting in manual mode i get a clicking noice from the shifter, however it you ever so slightly repress the trigger when performing the shift the click goes away. Emailed Hurst tech support and waiting to hear back.

#5 ·
Looks Good. I ordered the same one, just handle, for my six speed from Speedlogix but they are back ordered. In the meantime I received my SSE.

#8 ·
Two questions about the install:

1. Once you remove the stock shifter handle, what is the underlying shifter post like? Is it round or rectangular?

2. The trigger on the Hurst shifter isn't operable, correct? So once the stock shifter handle is removed, the pushbutton mechanism is inoperable and not needed?

#13 ·
Thanks for posting. I just had a quote from the dealer for like $450 to replace my stock handle. 3 something for the handle and 100 or so for labor. I guess the whole assembly was quoted at that price. Mine is scratched to hell and my GF hardly wears jewelry. Anyway, I want to do the install myself, it just sucks the instructions were crap.

After my quote I was either going to paint or get it professionally wrapped in leather, lol. I like the Hurst pistol grip even better. Any chance the boot could be replaced? Not crazy about the factory boot.

#15 ·
Thanks ToasterD, I like that idea.

I will stop at my auto interior shop and see if he can just stitch a nice black leather cover over the top of the shifter.

The only thing I really dont like about the shifter is the lights at night and the plastic top.

Leather cover would solve both those problems.

#24 ·
I just installed mine tonight. Pretty easy overall, but my trigger is not working and I'm not crazy about that.

I bumped down on the shifter to see if anything needed to lock. No luck. I used blue loctite, as required, and I got the set screw good and tight. Manually shifting works fine and it shifts fine in and out of gears.

I will contact Hurst and see what the deal is.

#25 ·
I got the trigger to work by squeezing it hard. That seemed to unlock it, like it was in a locked position from Hurst.

As others have experienced, I now have to press the trigger to downshift in manual mode. This isn't a huge deal and I can get used to that. I believe Hurst acknowledged this wasn't part of the design, but I'm hesitant to try to remove that tiny set screw after the loctite cures. That thing will strip in a heartbeat.

I really like the shifter now that the Trigger work. It looks great, I'll just have to get used to pulling the trigger when in manual mode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.