Dodge Challenger Forum banner

LED Trunk Lighting

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  feemc 
#1 ·
Has anyone put LED strips in the trunk to make it brighter considering how bad the single OEM bulb is? I've tried to search it but got no good results. Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
Has anyone put LED strips in the trunk to make it brighter considering how bad the single OEM bulb is? I've tried to search it but got no good results. Thanks

I installed a one of those small cheap battery powered LED Lights in my trunk. painted it to match the car. Then just used the rough part of the Velcro on the back of the light and it snags the OEM trunk liner so you can place it anywhere you want and move it where needed. I also used the Velcro trick to install a battery maintainer in the trunk

Attachments

#5 ·
That's a good idea. I was thinking of one of those cheap led strips from the autoparts store, but I'm unsure of what wires to tap into

Tapping into wires on these high tech cars is beyond my fear factor. I almost burned my motorcycle to the ground once doing this. Its a 3 buck investment and the hooks on the velcro snag anywhere and allow you to put it anywhere in a split second where you need light. I just didnt want to get into the thick wire harness in the trunk and send my computer into a frenzy. I also leave my trunk open to breathe because the battery is charging all winter and the trunk light drain times out in a few minutes and shuts off.

#3 ·

I installed a one of those small cheap battery powered LED Lights in my trunk. painted it to match the car. Then just used the rough part of the Velcro on the back of the light and it snags the OEM trunk liner so you can place it anywhere you want and move it where needed. I also used the Velcro trick to install a battery maintainer in the trunk

That's a good idea. I was thinking of one of those cheap led strips from the autoparts store, but I'm unsure of what wires to tap into

#4 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Diode Dynamics makes a brighter bulb for the trunk.

#10 ·
I installed an LED strip, looks and functions awesome. Just tapped into the existing trunk light wiring. Easy peezy. Also instead some LED lights under the hood since no lights existed.

#12 ·
Here are some pics and the lights i used. I've had them on for about a year now. Very functional. Have to remember the pictures are looking up inside the trunk. The wires are not viewable when looking in the trunk. Trunk Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exterior
Yellow Wire Wall Electrical wiring Technology
Vehicle door Door handle Automotive exterior Bumper Tire
Product Material property

#13 ·
#14 ·
I just spliced into the power and ground wires going to the stock light socket. The LED strips will have two wires. Just splice one of the LED wires to the power side of the existing trunk light wires and then the same for the ground wire. The light cover pops right out, just be gentle. I also removed the existing bulb.

#15 ·
Looks great, for some reason i thought one would have to power it from the big wire harness in the trunk, I forgot about the power in the existing light box. Duh... Love to see what you can do with under the hood lighting, it would be handy there. especially if you had a hidden on and off switch under the hood. Again it looks super nice and its balanced lighting that illuminates the entire trunk. Superb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.