Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Mopar Short Throw

6K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  Kruzin 
#1 ·
I wasn't sure it would make much of a difference, but it has! A nice improvement over the stock shifter. Not sure if it is better balanced or the heavier weight, but shifts feel more positive...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Gear shift

See less See more
Reactions: DJ Hemi
#2 ·
Yup, I have the same shifter and love it

Reactions: Rainmaker1984
#3 ·
I wasn't sure it would make much of a difference, but it has! A nice improvement over the stock shifter. Not sure if it is better balanced or the heavier weight, but shifts feel more positive...

View attachment 457418
What did the kit contain? did you have to pull the whole middle console out?

#5 ·
^^^ What he said! The instructions also ask you to torque the two bolts to 15 ft. lbs., so you'll need a torque wrench as well.

Easy installation- make sure you have some plastic pry tools to pull the shift trim ring/boot off the center console. Big improvement without changing the entire shift mechanism.

#4 ·
Comes with the shift lever and a zip tie. Just remove the boot and two bolts and the old lever comes off. Transfer the boot to the new lever and then reassemble

Attachments

#8 ·
The MOPAR shifter is great-looking and is far more ergonomic than the factory lever design.

I wish it wasn't so affected by cold/hot ambient temps----it's cold as ice in the winter until the cabin temp normalizes, and it gets cray hot in summer months while car is parked in the sun with windows up. But that's the small price you pay for aluminum, and the only change I anticipate making is marrying it to a Barton linkage.

#9 ·
Was thinking the same thing - just don't have the extra $500 or so to make it happen right now...

Reactions: DJ Hemi
#12 ·
I just had the Mopar Short Shifter installed at my dealer. I love the look and feel; however, my shifter has a ringing sound as I move the gear shifter from gear to gear. It's like the the aluminum is vibrating causing a ringing sound. I immediately showed this to the dealer and they couldn't figure it out so they ordered me a new one and they will install that when it comes in.

Are any of you experiencing the ringing sound?

#13 ·
They are known to be noisy. The kit includes a couple pieces of dynomat and instructions where to install it if you experience noise.

On a side note, I just got the woodgrain pistol grip for mine delivered today. As much as I like the feel of the Hurst, that CF look didn't do it for me...

#19 ·
Kruzin, the wood pistol grip shifter is what I WANT for my 2016 R/T. 6 SPEED. Do you have a 6 speed or Auto. Transmission ? Can you post some pictures of it ? I am having a hard time finding the pistol grip and everywherevi look doesnt go up to 2016 yet. The 2016 -16s LOOK the same inside and out so hopefully what fits a 16 will also fit a 16. Please, post a picture of your wooden pistol grip if possible.
Thank you.
Bert

#17 ·
Just a question for other Mopar Short-Throw shifter owners - is the shift ball removable? I've searched several other threads but haven't found an answer yet. I like it as-is, but would like to know if we can change out the ball if we get bored. You know, another completely unnecessary mod!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#26 ·
I replied above before i saw your post. Those shifters are great, what is the difference between the 2 the linkage in the first link ? Is there a shifter smoothness issue between the one with the linkage and the one with the handle & shaft that goes with the stock factory unit ? Which one did you go with ?

#27 ·
One is a full shifter, the other is just the lever. I have the full shifter/linkage kit.
The stock shifter is 'softer', the hurst is a more 'solid' feeling shift.

Regardless of the what you choose, if you add an aftermarket shifter, that shifter or anything it damages will not be covered by the factory warranty...but will not affect the warranty in any other way.

#28 ·
You have NOT felt a short throw shifter till you feel a BARTON shifter. Barton is far more superior than the competitor who has their shifters made OVERSEA'S (HURST). Why just replace the handle, why you can replace the whole shifting mechanism. Do it right, and Shift a BARTON.

#29 ·
I know that Mopar has one but has the carbonfiber shifter handle, however dodge cant tell me if it will fit my 16. The catalog hasnt been updated to 2016 yet, have you seen the mopar version ? I THINK I CAN POST A PICTURE here sorry for caps
How much of a difference is there betweenyour set up and just the handle & lever ? If its noisy i wonder if its wearing down surfaces too early ?
My 16 challenger

#30 ·
Try one more time to post the pictures, my first try was unsuccessful
Here is the mopar shifters, my new 16 Challenger on dealers lot and my Daytime Running Lights. I like that the DRLs can be turned on & off by the owners, ITS ABOUT TIME !!!!

Attachments

#32 ·
So is there any differences in the mopar short throw pistol grip snifters thats listed on both the Hurst &- Mr Norms web sites ? I hear about Barton but i cant find any info. On the same kind of set up. Does Barton have the same thi g or do they have the entire s hifti g mecahanisms ? I need one that uses the STOCK FACTORY OEM componets. What are the differences in those 3 suppliers ? I am having some work done tomy new 2016 Challenger at the dealer and want to have all the things done in 1 visit.

#33 · (Edited)
I need one that uses the STOCK FACTORY OEM componets.
So you don't want a shifter....you just want a different handle for the stock shifter.
This one I posted earlier should work:
Featured Product - Hurst Shifters Online

This one would look just like mine that I posted earlier.
The difference is this one is a cosmetic handle only. Everything under it that you don't see remains the same factory shifter.
A full short-throw shifter replaces everything between your hand and the transmission. It makes an actual difference in how the car shifts, not just for looks.

#34 ·
Ok thanks, HOW much of a difference in the shifting does getting the entire linkage make compared to using the handle with the factory linkage ? By staying with factory linkage that should help maintain the factory warranty wouldnt it ? I appreciate your help. Oh, does the forward curve of the handle in anyway get to close to or hit the dash when in 1st or reverse gears when using either factory or hurst linkage with the curved shifter ? Ive read here somewhere that the weight of some shifters have caused a vibration or rattling of the handle full time, im not sure which shifter it was. Yeah, the cost of the entire setup is a little steep for me right now and i have ordered my cold air intake already so i need to go the affordable way now.

#35 ·
A full short throw kit makes a big difference. The shifts are much closer and firmer.

Doing a full shifter is not going to void your warranty. If your dealer is telling you that, they're full of it. Just the shifter itself wouldn't be covered, and anything it damaged (which it wouldn't).

The handle gets within a couple inches of the radio in 1st gear, but not close enough to interfere with anything.

#36 ·
Thanks, you have yours in a pre 15 ? I wonder if the clearance is the same in pre & post 15s and if the full hurst linkage keeps the handle away from the radio better than the stock linkage. How tall is the shifthandle compared to the ball shifter from the factory ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.