My Modified Hurst Shifter Install with PIX - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Interior Discussion / Modifications If you are interested in modifying your Dodge Challenger's interior, this is the place to talk about it.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
My Modified Hurst Shifter Install with PIX

Hey Everyone,

I just installed a G&K Performance modified Hurst shifter with a gunslinger shift lever this weekend - it is AMAZING! Here are links to the main components (mods - if I need to remove the links, please let me know):

1. Modified Hurst shifter - www.gandkperformance.com/modified throw-rod - Home - Farmington, MN
2. Gunslinger shift lever - http://www.gunslingershifters.com/20...xplatform.htm#

I also recommend checking out the Challenger Hurst shifter instructions on Youtube (it is a 3 part video and well worth a watch).

Here is the shifter all apart (GASP)!!


Nekkid links and my stock drive shaft:


Dynomat on the lower shift bracket:


Dynomat on the upper kit:


Dynomat on the upper kit (different angle):


Gunslinger shift lever installed - and MORE dynomat:


INSTALLATION COMPLETE!!:








It is a HUGE improvement over stock - highly recommend it!!
deathpulse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
 
jerrychrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 347
Thanks: 16
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any extra noise with all that dynomat on there? Mine is fairly loud, and I'm getting use to it but don't have any dynomat.

Do you think it's possible to get dynomat in all the places you have without taking the shifter apart, and just taking apart the center console?

I have a few basic tools (like wrench and screwdriver basic) and just trying to see if this is something I could attempt.

2011 Dodge Challenger R/TC:
Six speed
Sunroof
STP
Performance:
Hurst Short-Throw w/70's mod
Legmaker Hammer CAI
Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-BacK
Audio/Visual:
Kenwood 890HD
JBL MS-8 processor
JL C5-650 components
JL XD 200/2
Infinity Reference 12" 1250w subwoofer
Rockford Fosgate prime mono 500
Boyo License plate backup camera VTL 375HD
Appearance:
BT Catch can w/braided hoses
20% Tint
jerrychrist is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fredericksburg TX
Posts: 543
Thanks: 12
Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That's a very nice picture set from your installation. I never understood what everyone was talking about in covering the knuckles with Dynamat--now it's so obvious from those pictures I wonder why I didn't figure it out.

I have Larry's shifter mod as well (same as G&K that you have) and I got my shifter handle from Hurst. Larry advised me to drill a third mounting hole on the shifter handle to drop it down. The Gunslinger looks to have the dropped handle already without any changes; your pictures of the handle look about the same as mine M6 Pistol Grip Shifter Prep without the extra work.

In any case, my CF pistol grip shifter handle is much quieter than the stock handle--both on the modified Hurst linkage--even without extra Dynamat.
OttoPilot is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Actually, the gunslinger came with 3 holes in it. I called them up and the guy advised me to cut off he bottom 3rd hole roughly between the 2nd and 3rd hole, then grind it a bit to fit the hurst setup (I originally ordered the stock gunslinger). Took me all of 2 minutes to do it once I matched the hurst up against the gunslinger. It has the effect of dropping it lower which is a PERFECT height in my opinion. Really great setup - almost feels like you have a helicopter stick in your hands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoPilot View Post
That's a very nice picture set from your installation. I never understood what everyone was talking about in covering the knuckles with Dynamat--now it's so obvious from those pictures I wonder why I didn't figure it out.

I have Larry's shifter mod as well (same as G&K that you have) and I got my shifter handle from Hurst. Larry advised me to drill a third mounting hole on the shifter handle to drop it down. The Gunslinger looks to have the dropped handle already without any changes; your pictures of the handle look about the same as mine M6 Pistol Grip Shifter Prep without the extra work.

In any case, my CF pistol grip shifter handle is much quieter than the stock handle--both on the modified Hurst linkage--even without extra Dynamat.
deathpulse is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
MSP1209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 104
Thanks: 41
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Congrats. Looks great. Was going to do this awhile back but didn't have the $ after my new interior. Is there a reason one can't just cover all the surfaces of the parts that are removed during installation with the Dynomat too?

No need to dream when reality is this cool!
MSP1209 is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Homegrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice job, looks great!

Homegrown is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Staten Island
Posts: 52
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrychrist View Post
Any extra noise with all that dynomat on there? Mine is fairly loud, and I'm getting use to it but don't have any dynomat.

Do you think it's possible to get dynomat in all the places you have without taking the shifter apart, and just taking apart the center console?

I have a few basic tools (like wrench and screwdriver basic) and just trying to see if this is something I could attempt.
I actually install installed mine a few days ago and had the same issue. It screamed and sounded like a freakin' blender. After the first day of drive the sound got a little bit lower but I still wasn't having it. I was not removing everything again because the fork pins were a b***h to get in. So I removed the rear part of the stock shifter fork the with rubber ring(if you notice on the hurst its red plastic) and I swapped it out that way I didn't need to remove the entire fork out of the car again. Then with the plate off your able to place some dynomat. After reinstalling the cover to the shifter assembly you can add more dynomat everywhere and even on the stick itself under the boot. After this (which took only about 30mins its so quite you can barely hear it. IMO thats your best bet to get rid of the sound. Hope this helps!
Mweyand619 is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 07:20 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looks sweet
Maka is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 11:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 182
Thanks: 13
Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I still can't bare the noise it's insane and bothersome. I can't believe some people actually got it to be as quiet as stock. It sounds like the thing is about to fall apart.
ezenuni is online now  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 11:49 PM
Senior Member
 
MYFIRSTMOPAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 251
Thanks: 67
Thanked 55 Times in 42 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mweyand619 View Post
I actually install installed mine a few days ago and had the same issue. It screamed and sounded like a freakin' blender. After the first day of drive the sound got a little bit lower but I still wasn't having it. I was not removing everything again because the fork pins were a b***h to get in. So I removed the rear part of the stock shifter fork the with rubber ring(if you notice on the hurst its red plastic) and I swapped it out that way I didn't need to remove the entire fork out of the car again. Then with the plate off your able to place some dynomat. After reinstalling the cover to the shifter assembly you can add more dynomat everywhere and even on the stick itself under the boot. After this (which took only about 30mins its so quite you can barely hear it. IMO thats your best bet to get rid of the sound. Hope this helps!
I also used a lot of Dynomat when I installed my shifter and still had noise. After I installed the Dynomat from the shifter handle (just under the boot) to the bottom of the shifter this reduced the noise by 80 percent. Before I installed the dynomat I wrapped the shifer handle and bottom of the shifter with aluminum foil. If I need to remove in the future all of the Dynomat will come off and not be stuck to everything. Very pleased with my set up that I purchased from Larry.

Black 2013 R/T
27F
6-speed
Borla "Touring" catback
Hurst Shifter w/ G & K mod, carbon fiber pistol grip, extra hole to lower, 6 speed shift pattern
UPR Fender Mount Billet Oil Catch Can
AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI
20 Inch Chrome Clad Wheels
Super Track Pak
Rear Park Sensor
Skip Shift Eliminator
SRT Hood Inserts
Spoiler Source Rear Pedestal Spoiler
RPI Splash Guards
30% Window Tint
MYFIRSTMOPAR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Interior Discussion / Modifications

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hurst shifter + Mopar short throw shifter handle...anyone running both? NX91Notch General Challenger Discussion 2 10-12-2012 03:26 PM
Manual Hurst Pistol grip shift handle (OEM) installed into HURST assembly Rudedog Interior Discussion / Modifications 13 09-01-2012 06:11 AM
Hurst Roll Control Installation Kit help? SpudRacer General Challenger Discussion 4 08-20-2012 09:44 AM
Hurst 6-Spd Shifter- Quick Review BayStateChallenger Bolt On's 19 07-23-2012 10:51 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome