My Modified Hurst Shifter Install with PIX - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Ľ Auto Insurance

Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Interior Discussion / Modifications

Interior Discussion / Modifications If you are interested in modifying your Dodge Challenger's interior, this is the place to talk about it.

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 06:33 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My Modified Hurst Shifter Install with PIX

Hey Everyone,

I just installed a G&K Performance modified Hurst shifter with a gunslinger shift lever this weekend - it is AMAZING! Here are links to the main components (mods - if I need to remove the links, please let me know):

1. Modified Hurst shifter - www.gandkperformance.com/modified throw-rod - Home - Farmington, MN
2. Gunslinger shift lever - http://www.gunslingershifters.com/20...xplatform.htm#

I also recommend checking out the Challenger Hurst shifter instructions on Youtube (it is a 3 part video and well worth a watch).

Here is the shifter all apart (GASP)!!

Nekkid links and my stock drive shaft:

Dynomat on the lower shift bracket:

Dynomat on the upper kit:

Dynomat on the upper kit (different angle):

Gunslinger shift lever installed - and MORE dynomat:

INSTALLATION COMPLETE!!:

It is a HUGE improvement over stock - highly recommend it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 12:19 PM

Any extra noise with all that dynomat on there? Mine is fairly loud, and I'm getting use to it but don't have any dynomat.

Do you think it's possible to get dynomat in all the places you have without taking the shifter apart, and just taking apart the center console?

I have a few basic tools (like wrench and screwdriver basic) and just trying to see if this is something I could attempt.
STP
Performance:
Hurst Short-Throw w/70's mod
Legmaker Hammer CAI
Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-BacK
Audio/Visual:
Kenwood 890HD
JBL MS-8 processor
JL C5-650 components
JL XD 200/2
Infinity Reference 12" 1250w subwoofer
Rockford Fosgate prime mono 500
Boyo License plate backup camera VTL 375HD
Appearance:
BT Catch can w/braided hoses
Silver turn bulbs
20% Tint
Old 04-04-2012, 05:32 PM

That's a very nice picture set from your installation. I never understood what everyone was talking about in covering the knuckles with Dynamat--now it's so obvious from those pictures I wonder why I didn't figure it out.

I have Larry's shifter mod as well (same as G&K that you have) and I got my shifter handle from Hurst. Larry advised me to drill a third mounting hole on the shifter handle to drop it down. The Gunslinger looks to have the dropped handle already without any changes; your pictures of the handle look about the same as mine M6 Pistol Grip Shifter Prep without the extra work.

In any case, my CF pistol grip shifter handle is much quieter than the stock handle--both on the modified Hurst linkage--even without extra Dynamat.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:05 PM

Actually, the gunslinger came with 3 holes in it. I called them up and the guy advised me to cut off he bottom 3rd hole roughly between the 2nd and 3rd hole, then grind it a bit to fit the hurst setup (I originally ordered the stock gunslinger). Took me all of 2 minutes to do it once I matched the hurst up against the gunslinger. It has the effect of dropping it lower which is a PERFECT height in my opinion. Really great setup - almost feels like you have a helicopter stick in your hands!

Originally Posted by OttoPilot View Post
That's a very nice picture set from your installation. I never understood what everyone was talking about in covering the knuckles with Dynamat--now it's so obvious from those pictures I wonder why I didn't figure it out.

I have Larry's shifter mod as well (same as G&K that you have) and I got my shifter handle from Hurst. Larry advised me to drill a third mounting hole on the shifter handle to drop it down. The Gunslinger looks to have the dropped handle already without any changes; your pictures of the handle look about the same as mine M6 Pistol Grip Shifter Prep without the extra work.

In any case, my CF pistol grip shifter handle is much quieter than the stock handle--both on the modified Hurst linkage--even without extra Dynamat.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Congrats. Looks great. Was going to do this awhile back but didn't have the $ after my new interior. Is there a reason one can't just cover all the surfaces of the parts that are removed during installation with the Dynomat too?
Old 09-20-2013, 01:29 PM

Nice job, looks great!
Old 12-09-2013, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by jerrychrist View Post
Any extra noise with all that dynomat on there? Mine is fairly loud, and I'm getting use to it but don't have any dynomat.

Do you think it's possible to get dynomat in all the places you have without taking the shifter apart, and just taking apart the center console?

I have a few basic tools (like wrench and screwdriver basic) and just trying to see if this is something I could attempt.
I actually install installed mine a few days ago and had the same issue. It screamed and sounded like a freakin' blender. After the first day of drive the sound got a little bit lower but I still wasn't having it. I was not removing everything again because the fork pins were a b***h to get in. So I removed the rear part of the stock shifter fork the with rubber ring(if you notice on the hurst its red plastic) and I swapped it out that way I didn't need to remove the entire fork out of the car again. Then with the plate off your able to place some dynomat. After reinstalling the cover to the shifter assembly you can add more dynomat everywhere and even on the stick itself under the boot. After this (which took only about 30mins its so quite you can barely hear it. IMO thats your best bet to get rid of the sound. Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Interior Discussion / Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.