Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Offical PVC Piping Welt Thread - Post your ideas here!

122K views 241 replies 107 participants last post by  MEKrunner 
#1 · (Edited)
After seeing many other members attempt to use the PVC Piping Welt and try to help each other with where to get it and just ideas in general, I figured, why not make a thread for more ideas in one place. Its a much easier search this way and will create a central place for interior piping help.

I'm switching mine from blue to white, but these are just some of the spots I attempted and will be updating as I try more spots. I will update you guys completely once I order enough white to finish off my car the way I want to. I don't want to over kill it, but sharing my ideas as well as learning about what others have tried, can help everyone in the future!

New pics of different spots:

I didn't have time, but I tried to put some around the rear tail light housing too. With the right time, I will be able to get it to work, so that's another spot to add it.

I don't want to over kill the interior, but I want to keep it all even too

Please post up your current ideas or set ups!

See less See more
#3 ·
I am working on finding out what the best yardage to order is IF you do certain parts and not others. Tomorrow I'll be doing all of the measurements on my lunch. I'm leaving for vacation Friday, so I have my new white on order to test and fit more but I won't be able to play with the white until Saturday the 13th.

I will make a list in the first post that has the best yardage to order based on your plans with the interior.

#10 · (Edited)
In 90% of the creases, there's enough gap for the pipping to slide in, but it's tight enough to hold it in place.

In SOME spots, the gap might be a little bigger, so a few pieces of cut tape on that edge can widen it enough to make the fit snug.

In rare instances, the gap is too tight to fit, you can just cut the lip/edge down in these spots, and the surrounding areas will hold it in place.

But for the most part, it's a perfect fit in a lot of the places

#5 ·
Yes, some spots or hard or need to be trimmed (I'll post pictures tomorrow night to show what I mean) but everything pushes right in and stays. You can remove it at any time if you get sick of it without destroying the entire interioir.

This is a side view of the piping. The thin piece just pushes between the pieces of the interior

#6 ·
That blue looks awesome I have to get this done. Are you getting yours off ebay? I looked once a couple weeks ago and was never able to find what I was looking for.. I want something close to deep water blue.. but now that your done with that blue that will work too! :D

#13 ·
A few more pics added to the first post

That blue looks awesome I have to get this done. Are you getting yours off ebay? I looked once a couple weeks ago and was never able to find what I was looking for.. I want something close to deep water blue.. but now that your done with that blue that will work too! :D
eBay is the best place, I have yet to find anywhere else that has the piping thin enough. In some spaces I wish they offered something a little thinner too.

NICE! I like this!! Gonna steal! hehehe

I already had done my doors/etc, but a month ago, I did this too:

I Gotta say though...if you do this, I recommend you START around the lighter, instead of ending there. Cause that one part can be a bit of a *****!
I found it hard to get the tubing around the radio, what was your technique?

Great thread!

Can we also add some links to suppliers/pricing for the piping?

I know of the eBay seller but would like to get from anywhere else if possible.
I didn't want to link since they are not a supporting vendor. But an eBay search will find it.

I don't know of anywhere else. But not sure why you'd need that. With the e-bay seller, you're looking at a WHOPPING $15 for more than you'll probably even need. Shipping included.

But I guess if anyone else knows of others, sure...add it.

E-bay seller:
hattrick15 | eBay

And now, it looks like they have a facebook page too:

http://www.facebook.com/VinylPiping
I ordered 5 yards for around 20ish bucks, can't complain with that at all! Before I order the white, I'm still measuring exactly how much I need. Are you aware how many feet you needed around the radio at all?

#7 · (Edited)

NICE! I like this!! Gonna steal! hehehe

I already had done my doors/etc, but a month ago, I did this too:

I Gotta say though...if you do this, I recommend you START around the lighter, instead of ending there. Cause that one part can be a bit of a *****!

#9 ·
I don't know of anywhere else. But not sure why you'd need that. With the e-bay seller, you're looking at a WHOPPING $15 for more than you'll probably even need. Shipping included.

But I guess if anyone else knows of others, sure...add it.

E-bay seller:
hattrick15 | eBay

And now, it looks like they have a facebook page too:

http://www.facebook.com/VinylPiping

Reactions: redbullssg
#11 ·
ooohhhh, ok.

sorry guys, i blame my lack of knowledge for that silly question.

i didn't know the piping had a "lip" on it.

i thought it was just piping. so yeah, now that i see the picture, i see how the "lips" allow for the wedging.

#12 ·
Yeah I added the side view to show the lip and he is right I've had to trim the lip in some spots or on the bends it helps too. I'm at work on my phone but ill be able to respond better later with better pictures too almost done with the measurements.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

#17 ·
After measuring, and adding a few inches to each measurement for "mistakes" I ordered 12 yards of the gray.

The 12 yards will cover from front to back:

- Front trim by the front window and the side windows
- Trim around the over head lights
- Trim around the radio bezel
- Trim in the driver and passenger Doors
- Trim on the roof liner from the window to the rear window, plus the small bend up
- Trim in the side of the back seat arm rests
- Trim around the bezel of the 3rd brake light

After all of that, you will still have around a yard left for mistakes, or at least 2 feet or so. That is if you cut everything perfectly with no mistakes. 12 yards is the most you can purchase without paying more for shipping.

I'm leaving for vacation Friday, I'll post measurements for each piece as well as the way I installed them (slices and trimming) before I do my final install.

Reactions: iamawild1
#21 ·
#22 ·
I believe this stuff goes by a different name in the marine world "puff chord" and is available in the 1/8 thickness. Google found it for me.

Here's one vendor, at about half the price of the ebay link.

Bayliner -- Brunswick: Bayliner 2036793 Fathom Silver 5/8 Inch Precut Marine Grade Boat Puff Chord Welting (20 Yard Section)

Different colors were available but you can find other vendors besides this one with google, puff chord and the color.
Thank you!!!

This is the info I was looking for.

Not that it's that expensive in the first place but still why pay more when you don't have to.

#23 ·

ScottCT, when I try to do this, the gap's kind of big, and it doesn't seem to stay in all the way. Did you have this problem? Does it just expand eventually, or do you have to keep pushing it back in all the time?

#27 ·
I actually had issues keeping mine in. But some spots around the head liner in the back the piping would go in too far. Around the bends of this area I would trim the edges to have it bend better like this:

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

Attachments

#28 ·
I'm back from my 9 day cruise and starting to add the Gray/silver (you pick) into the interior.

It was too cold the other day, so the welt was having an issue going into the areas that it fits.

#29 ·
I added the red piping to my door panels to break up the charcoal a bit and match up the seats. Very happy with the results. I had to trim back some of the lip as it just wouldn't press-in in a couple areas. I used a wooden wallpaper seam roller (wife's idea) to finish pressing it in and get any waves out. Not sure if I'll add any more, as it's a nice accent. Yet another reason I love this site!!!

Attachments

Reactions: Locko and Shank
#191 ·
Nice job! Did you get your red from ebay or somewhere else? The red one I saw on there looked a bit too pink for my Redline red. Cheers

#31 ·
what do you use to push the piping in.........

#32 ·
After a few attempts, and trimming the back side of the piping, I pushed them 90% of the way in with my fingers and thumb (my thumb just regained full feeling). I was getting frustrated getting them fully seated where they looked good, and the crevices in the door panels are a tight fit. My wife came into the garage to see how they looked and recommended using a wooden wallpaper seam roller to help press them in the rest of the way. I was careful with the tool, not to mar the door panels, but it worked like a charm. Some of the other areas look like they would be easier to accomplish than the doors, like along the headliner.

#33 ·
lmao Bruin .... end up like you have carpal tunnel .... lol ... I have a plastic tool i think i will try it with

#34 ·
got my white In .... will do tmrw or saturday ... might even have enough to do my wifes new car ... I wont tell her tho i will just do it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.