Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Retro Gauge Face

37K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  Lourib727 
#1 · (Edited)
Retro Gauge Face for T/A project

After scouring the net looking for something retro in a gauge face for my Header orange T/A project with no luck I found a company that will custom make gauge faces using the same needle locations. Here is the outcome....my new '70 retro gauge face with a real '70 gauge cluster for comparison:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That's hot. Could you let us know the name of said company and how much this custom work cost please. I'd be interested in the same for mine.

#4 ·
I guess it would have helped to put the company name in there. The place is Black Cat Custom Automotive - Gauge Faces for all makes and models of cars and trucks - LED Lighting Upgrades. You can start with any of their regular faces and a complete custom job is only $65 beyond that. Mine was about $185. Check on the customs sections and check out some of their work. If anyone wants one like I had made just PM me I think I just need to let them know it is ok to have other people purchase my design.

#13 ·
#14 · (Edited)
After scouring the net looking for something retro in a gauge face for my Header orange T/A project with no luck I found a company that will custom make gauge faces using the same needle locations. Here is the outcome....my new '70 retro gauge face with a real '70 gauge cluster for comparison:
My God, that is gorgeous. They need to mass produce these. Can you give us a way to refer to your design if we want to order one exactly like yours?

#15 ·
How about one in colors like these?

Attachments

#23 ·
Good one, seems interesting!

#24 · (Edited)
Hey "jonmclane" and "RoNNy379CH", I'm getting ready to tackle this mod soon and I have a question for you.

When you have the gauge apart is it possible to seperate the white gauge surround and the protective clear lens?

I'd like to try and paint the white gauge surround to match the rest of the gauge bezel if possible.

I believe the matching paint color from mopar is:

Dark Slate Grey Interior Paint 5069094AA

Thanks for any info.

#26 · (Edited)
I went ahead and ordered a version of the T/A gauge faces from Black Cat Customs and had them alter the speedometer to fit my SXT Plus. I also had them emphasize the ticks at every 5 mph interval. I also got the orange lighted pointers from LX Custom Solutions. Real impressed with the communication from both vendors. We'll see how the finished product looks.

Attachments

#36 ·
I kept forgetting but here is a pic of how mine came out. To me it looks better than I had pictured it would. The wood grain didn't do well in the flash....it is darker than the pic shows. I'll try to get a good daylight pic
Very Nice!!!
G

#29 ·
Awesome Chris, looks like the woodgrain came out great. Looks like you were able to use to 2011 bezel too. I still haven't had a chance to do mine. I'd love any pics you have or tips for me. I also noticed that you painted the inside of the cluster black, which I also plan to do. How hard was it to separate the lens from it, and do you have any tips for that?

-Dave

#30 ·
I was very pleased at how it came out. I just need to take some good pics with no glare or flash. The wood grain vinyl wrap was surprisingly workable. Ended up using my 2012 bezel but used filler and some sanding to get the flat surface I wanted. Painted the cluster so no white showed in the gauge area-used a satin black and it turned out great. Ordered a new lens (about $60) before starting the project just in case it broke but with a heat gun was able to slowly pry it off. There were a few spots that were stubborn but with some patience it came off just fine. I have a bunch of "in process" pics in a Word doc. I can email them to you just send me your email address in a private message.

#33 ·
#34 ·
maybe a dumb question, but will the R/t gauge background with the 160 instead of 140 work with the V6? Or will the numbers be "off"? 140 just looks so... boring

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.