Join Date: Nov 2008
Thanked 106 Times in 68 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
|Interior Discussion / Modifications If you are interested in modifying your Dodge Challenger's interior, this is the place to talk about it.|
||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
There is a mineral called "zeolite" that takes the smell of anything out of anything. Get it at your pet store or local health food store. It might be called "volcanic stone." It comes in little breather bags which should work in the trunk. After it's finished, leave it in the sun to "de-stink." You can use it forever.
|The Following User Says Thank You to USponycar For This Useful Post:||
Go Goody (11-11-2012)
Same thing happen to me but only in a Chevy Tahoe, Dude pull every thing out of the trunk area (ie) carpet, pad, etc any thing that asorbed the gas. It wiil evorporat over time. get a pile of clean rags and wipe all the metal, plastic, battery, etc with WD-40 (not the carpet)
Put a fan in the truck and let it run over nite for a few days, Fresh air ( no matter what temp) and time will cure this mistake. after a week or two take the carpet and trunk liner down to the car wash and soap it up and hose it down real good.
Remember fresh air and time will cure this mistake..along with some air freshner when your done !
WTF? I can't believe you didn't blow up your car up in the process and you're lucky you didn't get injured. Unfortunately, your initial remedies probably did more harm than good in the long run. Since gasoline is NOT miscible with water, the LAST thing you should have done was mix it with water (vinegar) to clean it up as that would just prolong the time it takes for the gasoline to evaporate. Gasoline, by necessity, is very volatile, which is why you smell and continue to detect it so strongly. By combining it with water, you essentially slowed down the evaporation process because the water traps it in a time release fashion. The other thing about using vinegar is it's nothing but dilute acetic acid which is corrosive to metal. This is why they had you use baking soda after wards to neutralize the acid. The problem now is, you may have residual salts left behind from the baking soda (which may also act to trap vapors by adsorption).
At this point, I'd remove everything from the trunk and thoroughly rinse with clean water and let dry with the trunk open. Leave the trunk liner out forever until it is odor free and leave the trunk open. Rent one of those heaters used to dry out homes after being flooded and thoroughly dry out the trunk area. The combination of heat and high volume of air flow may do the trick. The key is to place the heater unit in such a way that it won't overheat and damage anything in your car or cause a fire by being placed to closely (supervise).
The goal is to remove ALL vapors (both organic and aqueous) by volatilizing and evaporating them. Once they are gone, they're gone and all should be fine.
In addition to the above, to capture any residual organic vapors (hydrocarbons) and moisture, I'd use a combination of activated charcoal (for organic odors) and silica (to adsorb moisture) and change them out as needed. I work as an Analytical Chemist for a pharmaceutical company and have access to pallets full of both materials. In your case, both of the above materials can be found in a local pool supply company since they are commonly used in filtration.
Here are some links to learn about the materials I'm talking about:
Activated Carbon Technologies
Celatom Filter Aid Diatomite for Swimming Pools 8826 by Baleco International Inc. for $19.99 - America's Farm and Home Store
Avoid breathing dust from either material and place equal parts in a pillow case, zip tie and mix them together, and place in your trunk until the mixture is saturated. After a day or two, change it out and repeat the process over again. The combination of doing all of the above steps should do the trick. If you do nothing else, leave the trunk open as much as possible in order to allow lingering odors and moisture to escape. Don't forget to remove the trunk light so the battery's not drained. I don't think I need to tell you to NEVER put flammable material in the trunk again! Good luck.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Challenger pic of Trunk area? Service Kit?||JustForFun||General Challenger Discussion||12||02-11-2008 03:02 PM|
|Article from Global Auto on the Challenger||Hemidakota||General Challenger Discussion||0||01-09-2006 09:02 AM|
|2006 Detroit Auto Show: Dodge Challenger Full Release||JayC||Dodge Challenger News||0||01-08-2006 12:07 PM|