Spilled Gasoline in my trunk of my Challenger - SOLUTION? - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Interior Discussion / Modifications

Interior Discussion / Modifications If you are interested in modifying your Dodge Challenger's interior, this is the place to talk about it.

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I spilled a whole bunch of scrambled eggs all mixed up and ready to cook, on my carpeted trunk. I scrubbed the hell out of it and washed down with a hose on the part I could remove. It dried up OK.

As far as gas goes, a match would probably fix it.
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I only tote Gas home in the bed of this........

1954 Plymouth Savoy
1959 Chevy Apache
1977 Plymouth Volare'

"She may not be the youngest gal at the ball ... but she can still turn a head or two"

[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 05:11 AM

A friend was to turn in his Mercedes in two weeks when a gas can tipped over in the trunk,spilling a gallon.
He soaked it up best as possible,left the trunk open with a box fan blowing when possible.When the time came to turn it in,the odor was totally gone,no one picked up on it.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:54 AM

Go to your local sporting goods store an by some scent eliminator for hunting. It's usually charcoal based and I have used this many time to eliminate gas smell prior to hunting. Works amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Old 11-14-2012, 05:53 AM

Photos: (26)
Originally Posted by streetrod782 View Post
Go to your local sporting goods store an by some scent eliminator for hunting. It's usually charcoal based and I have used this many time to eliminate gas smell prior to hunting. Works amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
I was able to remove the smell from the carpets, but does this product remove it from the bare metal itself? That is what remains and reeks of gasoline. I still have everything removed from the trunk. Maybe it's not the metal but there is this black sticker or rubber thing stuck to the trunk that the gasoline tried to eat. Anyone know what that black thing is or can someone take a photo of their trunk as a comparison before/after so I know how bad it got eaten? The white power you see is from the Gonzo Odor Eliminator bag (powder).

see photos by my cell phone,

Click to enlarge
The white bag you see in my trunk is that bag of Gonzo Odor Eliminator you see. Does not appear to be working.

Last edited by antman67; 11-14-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:20 AM

Sorry this happened to you, but I think a point may have been missed here. IMHO carrying gasoline in a closed trunk is a bad idea. Any place where fumes can collect is hazardous.

Either wedge the gas container on the floor behind the passenger seat or on the passenger floor where you can keep an eye on it. Open all the windows. Cleaning up a gas spill is a mere inconvenience compared to what could have happened, especially with the battery in there along with it. I would consider myself lucky.

Kind regards, dt.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:57 AM

Photos: (53)
I think most of us get gas once or twice per year. Perhaps placing the can in a large tote would be a safety precaution. One can always throw out the tote if it tips. Then again, a can shouldn't leak or all the fumes would leak out in your garage over the year. Good luck on getting the smell from that black pad. See if you can get a new one from a dealer.
Mods -Magnaflow 16500 (dual quad tips) - Chrome Clad 20" wheels - Mopar Wheel Caps - Body Color Spoiler - Chrome Fuel Door - Locking Gas Cap - Hood Struts - Functional Hood Scoops - K&N DIF - Mopar Nose Badge - Fender Extensions - RPI Splash Guards - Mopar T-Handle - Stainless Pedal Kit - HomeLink - Hands Free uconnect mic - Lockpick - Boyo rear camera - Relay on plate light - DRL activated - WebElectric Sequential Signals.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:10 AM

i bet that mat has absorbed a lot of gas..... thats gonna smell for a bit

Old 11-14-2012, 11:24 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Originally Posted by antman67 View Post
I was able to remove the smell from the carpets, but does this product remove it from the bare metal itself? That is what remains and reeks of gasoline. I still have everything removed from the trunk. Maybe it's not the metal but there is this black sticker or rubber thing stuck to the trunk that the gasoline tried to eat. Anyone know what that black thing is or can someone take a photo of their trunk as a comparison before/after so I know how bad it got eaten? The white power you see is from the Gonzo Odor Eliminator bag (powder).

see photos by my cell phone,

Click to enlarge
The white bag you see in my trunk is that bag of Gonzo Odor Eliminator you see. Does not appear to be working.
I believe those black pads are factory-installed sound deadening material. They appear to be of a rubber/foam-based substance, and would probably absorb and disintegrate at the introduction of gasoline. I would probably scrape the material up, and replace it with either some aftermarket sound deadening material, or see if you can get replacements of the factory pierces from the dealer..

2012 Header Orange SRT8 Challenger. Auto with Paddles, 430N, BA stereo upgrades.
2009 TorRed SRT8 Challenger.
6-speed, Sunroof, Kicker, Nav. ***SOLD***

1971 Lucerne Blue GTO. It was Limekist Green, with a 400 & M21 4-speed, but now packs a "built" 455HO & M22 "Rockcrusher".

Old 11-14-2012, 11:52 AM

Photos: (26)
Those black pads are factory-installed sound deadening material? Made of rubber/foam-based substance? Ok, this makes sense, and this must be what soaked up a lot of the gasoline and is most likely the cause of the remaining pungent gas smell that won't leave. I thought it was the metal of the trunk but this makes more sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Interior Discussion / Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.