Steering wheel cover suggestions? - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Interior Discussion / Modifications

Interior Discussion / Modifications If you are interested in modifying your Dodge Challenger's interior, this is the place to talk about it.

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 06:14 PM

Photos: (0)
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Grooves, I wouldn't do, but thicker is part of the deal I want. I also need tackier because my hands keep slipping on the rim, especially in cold weather. I've been using covers for 13 years to avoid that. The stock wheel looked great in photos, and works fine in a straight line... it's for the twisties and parking maneuvers that I find it to fall short (like most factory ones).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Originally Posted by Toxic11 View Post
USR,

Yeah the 11 SRT rims are thicker, the rest is the same. You could have it custom upholstered to be thicker, heck even maybe have some thumb groves put it. But I suspect that won't be cheap either! Nothing cool ever is!!
I have an 11 SRT and I personally think the wheel is too thick. I dont have small hands but my hand will cramp if I drive too long.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:49 PM

Goes to show you how personal that is. No way they can please everybody so they hit somewhere in the middle and let the picky ones satisfy their quirky preferences in the aftermarket.

I tend to place my hands at 9:15 with the thumbs resting lightly on the spokes or along the rim, while doing my best not to make fists. The hold is more of a pinch that way, and is more conducive to quick corrections (and finger-saving in case of a wreck). So the less grip you use, the best you want to make of the contact patch you have. That's why I prefer more area and more tackiness. I shoot handguns the same way and use checkered wood or rubber for that, but this wouldn't work on a steering wheel...

It doesn't matter much on the freeway, but in maneuvers, especially backing up and steering one-handedly, I definitely want more connection with the rim.

Last edited by USRWDV8; 11-26-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Clarifying
Old 11-26-2012, 07:03 PM

FWIW I just got a "synthetic leather" from oreillys 2 years ago and it's held up great over the years. And especially on the Charger's skinny steering wheel, I needed something like this:

Custom Accessories 39450 - Steering Wheel Cover | O'Reilly Auto Parts

That's the one I got. And I like the red stitching, matches the car
Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 PM

Yeah, I've seen those that just clamp on, and some might give me the exact tactile feel I'm looking for, but I'd prefer a more finished product. Not a fan of the wide open seam they have. Here's what I did on my Charger and I was hoping that the Challenger would be better than its sister (it is, but not enough):
Attached Thumbnails
Steering wheel cover suggestions?-10.jpg   Steering wheel cover suggestions?-11.jpg  
Old 11-27-2012, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by USRWDV8 View Post
I'm never happy with stock steering wheels: I want more thickness and more grip. Enough tackiness to be able to steer one-handed with the palm of my hand and enough slickness still to be able to let the rim slide under my fingers when exiting corners, know what I mean?
I installed wheelskins on my Charger before, and while the quality was great, even the perforated leather was too slick for me. Ideally, I'd want the feel from those old vynil covers with the cord wrapped around them like every cab has. It's way too ugly and cheap-looking for a Challenger, but they worked perfectly for my use in the Crown Vic and Caprice.

So before I do the Wheelskins thing again... any better suggestions? My current wheel is the base R/T's, not leather, by the way. Hard and slippery, especially with dry hands like mine.
I really don't have a problem with the factory wheel. Base R/T 27F with 20's and 6 speed here. Going around corners palming and returning to center has never been a problem. This could be something as simple as adjusting your seating position for better pressure and or leverage on the wheel, depending of course on arm strength and leg length.

eg; derangedu - 2010 Challenger R/T 6 speed on the Dragon
Mopar long IAT sensor
Mopar functional hood scoops
Mopar strut tower brace
Mopar performance sway bars
Mopar hood struts
Mopar door sills
Mopar splash guards
Mopar Challenger-R/T emblems-grill, rear spoiler
SHHNAPPA CAPS!
Custom dash emblem by Nate
Ziebarted and undercoated
BIG MOPAR smile on face

Last edited by deranged; 11-27-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:21 PM

That's a good point about the driving position. I'm still searching for the perfect one and am a little far from the wheel right now, but it's a work in progress. The thing is I just have very dry skin and I know that's always gonna be a problem with the stock material. With warm and slightly sweaty hands it gets better, but that's not good enough for me. I'm telling you, even the perforated Wheelskins were a little too slick and I need something a tad more grabby, as much as I liked the look.

I've looked at a few foam, mesh and rubber ones in the style brought up by torred 3.5, but I don't think they're gonna do. Although it would work (aesthetically) better in an older car, I'm leaning toward those cheesy O'Reilly ones I mentioned earlier now. Very '70s, but most importantly, once you degrease them with alcohol the feel is perfect for me.

Going out for a quick photoshoot now so I'm gonna try with gloves on for kicks, but that's not the right fix for everyday use.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 PM

Hard and slippery, especially with dry hands like mine.[/QUOTE]

Save yourself a ton of dough...use handcream!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:50 PM

It does help some (the non-greasy kind, anyway). Unfortunately, like wearing gloves, it's not the kinda thing that you can always do on the fly. I wore leather this afternoon for a drive in the canyons over Malibu (not braggin'), and it worked like a charm, by the way. Not an everyday solution, though. Keep it comin', guys!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Originally Posted by USRWDV8 View Post
... 'Leather' is a word used very loosely these days, like all those seats that are actually vynil with some leather pieces. Regardless of what it actually is, I find it hard and grainless... and therefore unsatisfactory....
Speaking of such and off topic a bit ... How much Leather is in our Seats?

hummmmm?

54 Plymouth
59 Apache
"She may not be the youngest gal at the ball... but she can still turn a head or two"

[/url]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Interior Discussion / Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.