Steering wheel cover suggestions? - Page 4 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Interior Discussion / Modifications If you are interested in modifying your Dodge Challenger's interior, this is the place to talk about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 05:01 PM

Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,126 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
You're one dedicated fella, aren't ya? Sewing that Wheelskins cover on my Charger's wheel was a PITA...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 11:15 AM

Dude! Whole germaphobe thing aside, do what works and makes your Challenger more useful to you. I could give a $hit less what other people think about what I've done or haven't done to my BABY. It's what I wanted exactly. It puts "THE GRIN" on my face every time I see it and especially when I drive it. Man, I'm seriously thinking about that wheel cover now. I wonder if I could get one for the pistol grip??????????

Thanks a lot buddy!

2010 Challenger R/T 27F DAILY DRIVER!
Tremec six speed w/Track Pack and SSE
Mopar Long Ram cold air kit
Mopar long IAT sensor
Mopar functional hood scoops
Mopar strut tower brace
Mopar performance sway bars
Mopar hood struts
Mopar door sills
Mopar splash guards
Mopar Challenger-R/T emblems-grill, rear spoiler
SHHNAPPA CAPS!
Custom dash emblem
Ziebarted and undercoated
BIG MOPAR smile on face
#33 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by USRWDV8 View Post

That's an awesome wheel, 2011Cuda, and probably great for the track. I initially looked into this kinda swap when I was only researching the R/T. How's the feel (without gloves and besides the straight line hold)?

After just buying the car last week I'm too broke and have too long a list of mods to consider spending hundreds right now on something that could be so easily fixed, though. I'm really looking for a simple cover, to be honest.

I got ya on spending money. The steering wheel feels good without gloves. As for the track I really didn't like it on the track. I am thinking for my track car of using the Boss steering wheel, it is suede. However, that's $200 that could be better spent on something more useful for the track.
#34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 01:32 PM

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, I didn't want to throw hundreds at this little dilemma. I've seen cheap fixes work wonder before and I get a lot more enjoyment from simple things. I would've spent more than for Wheelskins, but not by much, and I generally prefer a rim that's even and circular. The tactile thing is probably highly personal and I'm sure we all differ on that. It depends on the average humidity and temperature in your environment too.

I'll update with pics when I do the 'Sport Grip' cover. I need to be one with a car again (never quite managed that with the Charger), and this should have a huge impact for me.
#35 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 03:12 PM

(Thread Starter)
OK, here's what I did and it's probably only going to appeal to a certain demographic... The Superior Sport Grip cover in size C, the largest one, exposes a lot of the stock wheel but otherwise fits the way it did on my previous cars so equipped. Aesthetically... it's not as pleasing as other solutions brought up here and it even looks a little weird on a modern steering wheel. BUT... it does work and I like it. The vinyl is softer than I remembered and has the perfect feel for me: I can turn the wheel by mere friction with part of my hand. The rim is also much thicker now, which makes the steering very light, another thing that many won't dig but that works for me (used to traditional over-assisted domestic cars). I bought two for $20.87 (shipped!) from Amazon so I have a spare for the life of the car and it installed in minutes - unbeatable. Even if I end up going another route later, this at least gives me a lot of driving ease and precision for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1205121203.jpg
Views:	1070
Size:	843.1 KB
ID:	58562   Click image for larger version

Name:	1205121203a.jpg
Views:	3773
Size:	863.4 KB
ID:	58563  
#36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:08 AM

that sure brings back memories, I had those covers on several cars back in the day...

glad your happy with what you found, kinda retro cool
#37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 AM

Call me demographic will ya! Hey it works and although it doesn't look sleek by today's standards it is functional given your description of the ergonomi......... F*#k that! It works! It looks a little more thick than I remember but that is probably because of the rim diameter. I can still remember how that cover felt new and how it eventually hardened and shrank over time. Probably because of the oils and .............. Oh, forgot your a germafobe ! Try not to think about it and enjoy becoming one with your baby.

You got me Jonesin for one now, damn ya!

Last edited by deranged; 12-06-2012 at 09:14 AM.
#38 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:02 PM

(Thread Starter)
You guys crack me up! Yeah, the rim is thicker than on the older cars they used to be seen on. And with the airbag cover it looks different from the traditional look. It feels cushier and softer too, for some reason, but maybe it does need to bake in the sun and get all funky... The little I drove the car I could tell a huge improvement in maneuvers, though. The steering feels way lighter and that may be too much for some. For city and speed limit driving I don't see a problem, personally - even better for a more relaxed ride.
#39 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 02:32 PM

(Thread Starter)
Update: couldn't take the cheesy look of the Superior grip anymore. It looked like a sausage about to burst and the center gap created by the thickness of the stock rim was too wide - that's precisely what I wanted to avoid with the snap-on covers. I guess that car forums turned into a snob because it looked exactly like that on my previous cars and I liked it then. Feel was great although a bit too mushy.

So... I went back to another familiar solution and just installed the same Wheelskins perforated leather cover type I had in my Charger. Due to the width of the lower spoke I'm not 100% satisfied with the fit on the Challenger, but the looks are still 100% improved. I also used a baseball stitch this time, instead of what Wheelskins recommends, after seeing that on S/S Dodge's steering wheel (red and black pic) - much more aesthetically pleasing and professional-looking. I might re-stitch after a while, when the leather has had time to conform to the shape and I'm brave enough to go through that again.
The 'traction' is a little inferior to the Superior cover, but it's brand new and a little tacky from the wax they lather the thread with so I'm happy with it right now. After a while, the one I had on my Charger had become hard and slick although not as bad as the stock material. I'll be sure to avoid using leather conditioner this time. Rim thickness is perfect for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	899.5 KB
ID:	60444   Click image for larger version

Name:	leatherwheel2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	60445  
#40 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 09:03 PM

Thanked 1,069 Times in 654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by USRWDV8 View Post
Hard and slippery, especially with dry hands like mine.
easy and cheap solution...moisturizing lotion

--Ray--

2009 TorRed S/E

9-11-01 nose badge | 3.5L hood badges | CAI | Hood pins | MOPAR hood struts/pedal kit/fuel door | blacked out side mirrors | Under dash ambient light | Jones Full Boar exhaust | Cuda' style MOPAR hockey stick striping | Script grill badge

"All you can take with you is that which you have given away"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Interior Discussion / Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode