Vibration In Door Panel When Cold - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Interior Discussion / Modifications If you are interested in modifying your Dodge Challenger's interior, this is the place to talk about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 10:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Vibration In Door Panel When Cold

I was wondering if anyone knows the best way to get rid of a very annoying vibration I have on my drivers door panel (towards the front inside panel is)?

I have noticed that it only has this vibration when it is cold. I got the car a couple of weeks ago and it was fine until the cold weather hit these past couple of nights.

I know it is vibrating when the bass hits from the car, but I haven't done any upgrades. It is just the Sound II option that came with the car.

I am fairly sure if I took it back to the dealership they would just tell me that it is normal, so I thought I would ask you guys!

Not that it matters but it is a 2013 R/T Classic.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 02:51 AM
Banned

When its cold stuff is gonna rattle. Not much you can do about it, unfortunately.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,105 Times in 759 Posts
There's a couple of plugs - one behind door pull and another behind the interior door release.

Carefully pry the plug up with a flat blade screw driver at the slot provided - there's a Phillips head screw and snug it up. It may cure that rattle -especially the one behind the door release handle, near the speaker.

Those screws are threaded into plastic plugs, so be careful not to over-do it.

2009 R/T 27J pkg (6 speed MT) ordered 7/17/08, built 10/23/08, home on 11/13/08

Eibach Sportline Suspension
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Nitto 555 Extreme 265/50-18"
392 Cam / DS CMR tune
Hurst /G&K modded short-throw shifter
Black gauge faces, lighted needles
#4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 11:50 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RippTyde View Post
When its cold stuff is gonna rattle. Not much you can do about it, unfortunately.
Actually getting rid of rattles can be done. It's a bleed over from audio guys, but vibration dampeners are available to take care of rattles, buzzes, and the like. The tricky part is tracking them down. Once you find it, you just slap a little 2"x2" square of sound deadener on it and it's gone. The big name is Dynamat, but I'd never recommend anyone buy that stuff. It's severely overpriced. Even a 50% off sale is more than equivalent products from places like secondskin, raammat, or alphadamp, and those are just some of the good ones. For non-audio related rattle control you could easily cheap out on a lesser quality product and cure these cold weather rattles. Peak and seal would work if you live in a climate that doesn't see 105+ on the thermometer, but it's asphalt based so you've got to be concerned with in-car temperatures or you'll end up with a pool of asphalt goo in your door.

In my 2 month experience with my '11 the challenger is in need of some treatment for rattles and buzzes. It only gets worse when you do upgrade the audio.

2011 Toxic Orange R/T Classic Auto
Performance Mods: Diablo inTune I1000-DCX
Audio Mods: Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS, HelixDSP, Zed Audio Leviathan III, Dynaudio Esotec 362 (active), Zed Audio Minotaur II, 2x JL Audio 12w6v2s (sealed ~2.8 cu ft)
#5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 03:52 AM
Banned

Do this just to see if it's the same thing mine was doing. open your door, now make a fist, sounds dumb but give this a whirl, take the bottom of your fist and forcefully, not like a punch though and hit the top of your pad near where the louvre for the drivers window is and up by the speaker are on top of the dash, while doing so listen for the same type of rattle you hear while driving. If you hear it, that may be what it is. Next hit the are a few times where the door panel touches the dash on the side. I was hearing a tingy noise in those areas. After giving it a few firm pops with my hand I no longer have any of that annoying rattle.....maybe the same thing, maybe not but Im just telling you what I did and it fixed it belive it or not.....lol

Last edited by msettle11; 11-25-2012 at 03:55 AM.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceri View Post
Actually getting rid of rattles can be done. It's a bleed over from audio guys, but vibration dampeners are available to take care of rattles, buzzes, and the like. The tricky part is tracking them down. Once you find it, you just slap a little 2"x2" square of sound deadener on it and it's gone. The big name is Dynamat, but I'd never recommend anyone buy that stuff. It's severely overpriced. Even a 50% off sale is more than equivalent products from places like secondskin, raammat, or alphadamp, and those are just some of the good ones. For non-audio related rattle control you could easily cheap out on a lesser quality product and cure these cold weather rattles. Peak and seal would work if you live in a climate that doesn't see 105+ on the thermometer, but it's asphalt based so you've got to be concerned with in-car temperatures or you'll end up with a pool of asphalt goo in your door.

In my 2 month experience with my '11 the challenger is in need of some treatment for rattles and buzzes. It only gets worse when you do upgrade the audio.
I've messed with Dynamat it the past. In my experience you do more harm than good when you start removing panels and moving stuff around....just turn the radio up.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Banned

so whats the verdict OP?
#8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 12:41 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thus far I haven't done anything. Just turned down the bass some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Interior Discussion / Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode