Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Brand New SRT: 250 miles through bug guts and 100 degree Florida heat

6K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  breeeze 
#1 ·
I am picking up my new phantom black SRT on Satruday so I should be excited (and I am). Except to get the car home, I need to drive it 250 miles through the middle of lovebug season and the temps will be 100 degrees in central Florida. If bug guts are allowed to dry in that heat, the acidic mixture will etch the paint.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to prep the new car for its inaugural gut-splattered Walking Dead journey? Once I get her home, I'll detail it myself, I just need to deal with the trip.

Driving under 20 mph is ...ahem... out of the question :D

Other suggestions?

#2 · (Edited)
Just rinse it off

when you get home. You can perhaps leave in the evening when the temp drops? Or hit a few coin operated touchless spray washes on the way? I know that quick/ice wax leave a nice slippery coating. Why not spend a few minutes applying that stuff before the trip.

#4 ·
I use a Meguiers Synthetic Silicone sealant type wax on the front of my daily driver. If I get a ton of bug splats, I hit a quarter car wash and blast them right off. Apply a heavy coat and buff it out right there on the lot before you leave. Shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes or so.

Reactions: Slidd
#5 ·
There is a temporary spray on clear bra type stuff that you can buy at auto parts stores, I think it's made by 3M.

#7 ·
Isn't there some sort of cheap "bug screen" that people down there use? Take it off & throw it away when you get home?

#8 ·
THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES!!

You guys mentioned spray-on film and I found this:
The Love Bug Solution - Best Lovebug Cleaner, Easiest Lovebug Remover - Protects Vehicles from Love Bug Damage! - Love Bug Remover | Car Lovebug Removal | THE LOVE BUG SOLUTION™ Protects Vehicles from Love Bug Damage | Lovebug Cleaner | No Scrubbin

As for leaving at night, that is a possibility, less heat (but more bugs). That might work.

As for prepping the car right on the dealer's lot, that is a possibility. It will take over 3 hours to get there, so maybe I contact a mobile detailer to prep the car.

As for the painter's tape all over the front of the car...:) Maybe if I was buying B5 blue, not phantom black.

#11 ·
I had a body shop owner swear by the use of PAM cooking spay as a way to keep any bugs from sticking to the car during your trip. When you get home the mess should wash off with one good washing. I have done this once before with excellent results. It's not pretty until you get home and wash it but nothing sticks to the car.

Reactions: DGatzby
#15 · (Edited)
I second PAM cooking spray, it works well with no damage. Coin wash or hose sprayer when you get home. Get some cheap plastic screen at the hardware store to protect the open grill - radiator from getting plugged. don't forget to spray PAM on the back of your mirrors. We used this trick to keep rubber off the quarter panels when racing.

#16 ·
Do NOT leave the Pam on there. I left it on my Charger one Summer after the drag strip for a couple of days. It was the first time I tried Pam. It turned into tuff to remove gummy grime. I had to get bug and tar remover soaked in to get it off. It took a few apps to get it all. I just didn't know. You'd think it would be easy to get off like the rubber from the track. We had went home that night and went to work, parking it for a couple of days.

#18 ·
Three things I would suggest -

Plasti-Dip - you can pick it up at any Home Depot or other hardware store. It does not matter what color they have in stock as you will be peeling it off when you get home. PD also adds a lot of protection against rock chips. As long as you go a bit heavy on the application it will peel off quite easily.

Painters Tape (low tack) - a lot of people tape up the front end of the cars when they drive long distances. Nothing gets on the paint and it adds a bit more protection against rock chips

Adam's Quick Sealant - they even refer to this stuff as being something to spray on the front and side mirrors of a car before a long drive to help with bugs and stuff. You can fairly quickly apply a couple of coats. It will help with the removal of the bugs as it provides a "slicker" surface so they will wash off easier. I used it a couple of times last summer before long cruises. On my way home I dropped off at my local car wash and used their pressure hose to knock almost everything off, and believe me there was about 10 lbs stuck on there and in all the crevices. The other thing I like about the Quick Sealant is you can apply to it plastics, so I sprayed the grills, lower valance and lights.

#19 ·
You-Know if it is only 250 miles, maybe there is an enclosed trailer option some-how. You can rent one if you have a pick me up, or large SUV. Maybe you and the dealer can share the cost of shipping on a trailer. even an open one where you block the nose some-how. the dealer I used had a buddy with an enclosed trailer that I borrowed.

#23 ·
Like he mentioned, it is Love Bug season, and he wants to limit the damage from hitting a bunch of these:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Regularity rally Motor vehicle
:guiness:

Reactions: osiapstndp
#26 ·
I've lived in Florida a long time and understand the OP's concerns. Damn love bugs are a pain.

Best solution is two-fold. A quick coat of your favorite wax will help get them off. And a clay bar is your friend to get what remains after you wash the majority of the bugs off

They're a big reason that I use a Colgan bra on the car for road trips during Love Bug Season

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#27 ·
It worked out ok. I decided to take the longer but safer way (too much gravel kicked up by trucks on the roads through middle of state). 75-85 mph down I75 then across Alligator Alley. Just a few bugs hit. I guess the bugs were avoiding the heat :laugh2:. I cleaned it up when I got home.

She's purdy. :grin2:

Reactions: DarthNeo64
#29 ·
I got a good trick, quick and dirty.....My buddy is a small plane pilot and gave me this one for my runs between Detroit and Akron Ohio. I-75 at Monroe straddles a swamp beside Lake Erie. Aside from being a mess, bugs fouling the leading edge of wings are of critical concern to pilots, for they can alter airflow and affect lift. There are some pricey, but awesome products for aircraft to clean, protect, and facilitate the removal of these critters, or.....you can just give it a liberal coating of Lemon Pledge!!! Works like a charm, easy to apply, inexpensive, completely harmless to paint and people,and smells nice too!! Makes washing off the carnage a snap!

#30 ·
Works excellent on your leather wheel and seats too! And if you want to go flat, sprinkle some baby powder on top and dust with a micro fiber. All I've ever used on my policeman's leather jacket. It is 26 years old and looks like 5 years old. Being a spay can makes it too quick and hastle free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.