Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Cabin Air Filter Replacements (pics)

25K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  DG345 
#1 · (Edited)
Just over a year, it's time to replace the air conditioner filter, which is under the hood, passenger side, under the cowl.

Filter part number is 6807 1668 AA, and the retail cost was $15.40+sales tax.

Here's the new filter in packaging:

Here is the access cover on the cowl:

With the cover off, you can see the dirty old filter:

You swing the hinged top of the filter enclosure open (there's a pair of plastic nibs) and it swings up and rotates toward the windshield. You have to flex the cowl up to get the hinged top to clear the underside of the cowl. Grab the old filter and pull it out. Note that you have to distort the old filter's shape to clear the opening. Not Chrysler's greatest engineering feat.

At any rate, you insert the new filter. Note that the left side is crunched. You have to insert the left side into the guide channel first. It's futsy, but it can be done:

Here is the new filter in place, with the hinged top of the filter enclosure still open:

Finally, close the hinged top and snap shut (you can see one of the nibs on the left):

Then, put the cowl opening cover back in place (see second photo, above).

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the DIY!

#3 ·
Thanks yet again Danner! Simple task, but I'm sure others will gain from it. Good job posting quality pics.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: Danner
#5 ·
Check amazon and Ebay, i think i paid less than $9. It is a pita to load the fresh one in there!

#6 ·
Actually, its quite easy - some cars require you have to pull trim from under the dash or behind the glovebox to change out the cabin filters.

The LX/LC/LD/LD cars are a snap to change out cabin filters - probably one of the easiest maintenance items to do.

The engine air filter box has more clips and tabs to contend with...

#7 ·
Yes, I did this thanks to you and it was very simple.

#9 ·
Good to know, thanks Danner

#12 ·
The one in my HHR is in the glove box. :thumbsup:

#13 ·
Thanks, did this today

#15 ·
Old post I know, I just did this tonight on my '14 Shaker and what a terrible design!!!! Holy Sh!t it was hard to get my hands in there to remove or replace the filter!

#18 ·
I have a 2016 SXT and it's time for its first filter replacement. Which filter has the best quality? Fram Fresh Breeze or Mopar? Thanks!
I've used and happy with...
POTAUTO MAP 1031C Heavy Active Carbon Car Cabin Air Filter

@ Amazon...$13.73

#17 ·
As they say in the South, WELL BLESS YOUR HEART! Thanks, was wondering what that was for.......I knew it was something!

#23 ·
Plus its not easy to remove it - not the greatest design. You practically mangle the filter getting in / out since the cowl trim interferes with it.

I had retrofitted the 300 air filter assembly in my '09 and that was easy to R & R the filter.

#25 ·
Reactions: silver scat
#22 ·
I wonder what changed?...2016 from 2015
Anyway, when to change would really depend where you lived...Live in farm country with all the dust...Sooner...Obvious...Other wise...
The charcoal in filter should make things smell better...Maybe...
Maybe I should spray Febreze on it...:laugh2:

#24 ·
Thanks for the reminder, had a new cabin and air filter sitting in the garage. Stock Mopar filters bought from Steve White, both filters were a little dirty. 2016 with 16,000 miles. Yeah had to finagle that new cabin filter into place, lifting the cowl plastic up gave just enough clearance.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.