Dodge Challenger Forum banner

I am so dumb for this please help me

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Thunderinn 
#1 ·
Okay, so basically I debaged my challenger where the dodge logo is on the rear and there was a little line mark so I decided to find some paint to go over it. I ended up getting the wrong color so then I take a paper towel (so dumb) and end up leaving swirl marks, so then I get krylon paint and spray all over the rear now it looks terrible. Please God, tell me what to do. Paint remover?

#2 ·
It'd be hard to give specific advice, without seeing in more detail what you're dealing with -- did you (or can you) take a few pictures so that we can see the damage?

#4 ·
You may be able to get some of it off with clay bar and detail spray... And maybe using a stronger solution of car wash to help lubricate it as well when you're rubbing it off carefully. My brother was able to get some paint overspray off his truck before by using a good clay bar. Hope this helps!

Just curious. How big or noticeable were the line marks where you de badged the D O D G E on the back? I was thinking of doing that for my future scat pack but may avoid it if it's too noticeable after removing the letters. Thanks

#12 · (Edited)
I would strongly suggest finding a good and reputable detailer and having them take a look at it first. I would also take the car to a "specialty" paint shop. These are the shops that work on custom paint jobs and high end cars. The issue is that you sprayed Krylon paint on the car.

I highly doubt using a clay bar will ever touch this and you may ruin the finish even more. When people talk about clay bars removing "over spray" they are referring to a very light dusting or some specks of paint that gets blown onto a car sometimes. This is completely different from actually taking a spray can of paint to a car.

If you try to use a painter remover you run a really high risk of damaging the clear coat that is under the Krylon paint.

Between a good detailer and a good paint guy I am sure they will be able to remove the Krylon using a combination of a polisher (using special pads that are quite harsh initially), maybe some wet sanding and some chemical mixtures. Once the Krylon paint is removed then they will work on fixing the clear coat so that it is scratch and swirl free. Again this will be by using various polishing pads in stages until the finish is perfect again.

Sorry for your damage but I think it is time to visit some professionals and chaulk this incident up to lack of knowledge and a great learning experience.

Reactions: wasp392
#16 ·
I highly doubt using a clay bar will ever touch this and you may ruin the finish even more.
The OP says "so then I get krylon paint and spray all over the rear now it looks terrible."

To me this reads he has sprayed the clear coat and not just the plastic.
I read it as he sprayed all over the plastic parts. LOL.

I guess until we see some photos we don't know for sure. Damn the English language and it's ambiguities. :grin2:
Lol yea I read it like Yaanufs and thought he meant he just got it on the plastic. And tbh I wasn't 100% sure how effective the clay bar would work, but my brother had a pretty bad overspray accident while painting something else in the garage and he was able to get that out with a clay bar.

I do agree the OP should most likely seek out a good detail or paint guy to really assess how to fix it. I'm sure they have some resources they can use to get him back to looking 100% again

#18 ·
Since the original post by the OP, he has never been back.

I suspect his thread is not legitimate and he is just pulling everybody`s leg.

I guess somebody could have actually been foolish and clueless enough to play with rattle can paint and paper towels with his/her car - but it doesn't pass the smell test to me.

If I`m wrong he should probably admit defeat and go to a pro :)

Reactions: Czechman
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.