Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Messed up my vinyl wrap by applying plasti dip?

14K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Jesusballer 
#1 ·
Hi guys, hoping you can help me on this...I have a matte black vinyl wrapped challenger...I know its imperative to hand wash the car and I use the Meguiars spray and quick wax for detailing (as its safe on wraps) long story short I ended up masking off an area around the fuel door (as I was plasti dipping the fuel door black) anyways I probably masked the area off 2ft by 1ft...I peeled off the overspray and it came off in a perfect square...here's my issue...now the area is perfectly dark black...the rest of the car is more of an off black (I'm sure due to the wrap being 2-3 years old) seems like the plastidip adhered to the wrap and pulled all the aged dirt/pollen off the wrap...leaving the wrap looking brand new...however the rest of my challenger is more of an off black...any suggestions or help would be so greatly appreciated!

#4 ·
Why did you not remove the fuel door and paint it off the car? You removed the patina, don't know how you will be able to get that back other than waiting for it so happen naturally...

#7 ·
Your not an idiot...:smile: I would probably just leave it alone, looks like you effectively clay bared your finish... If you mess with it, it may just get worse, leave it alone and as you continue to wash and clean it over the next few months it should just blend in...

Or you could tape the whole car and get the same affect...:laugh2:

#8 ·
Lol! Thanks CourtC ...I was going to say might as well just dip the whole car...then peel...Boom brand new vinyl wrap finish haha its sitting in the garage now...but I think I'll let it sit outside the condo all spring and let the blowing pollen and substances adhere to that spot again...but luckily its only noticeable when your directly looking at the car from a couple feet

Attachments

#10 ·
Looks like over spay from the rattle can, a fine mist can actually go quite far, what's it look like a few feet down?

Reactions: Flat Top
#11 ·
Yeah the top portion in the picture is actual wrap part...the very dark part is where I had the overspray on...when I peeled the dip off it left a very clean brand new esque finish to the wrap...like someone stated it essentially clay bared my finish lol

#13 ·
Thanks Orr...I never even thought of it..wondered why my fiancee got me a clay kit for a Christmas gift when I have a vinyl wrapped car lol I'll try and see what happens...worst comes worse I'll just pull the wrap off this summer...but torred with gold rims is going to look ugly lol

#15 ·
So the question really is what finish do you want, the patina'd or greyed out of the original wrap area, or the the darker/cleaner finish that happened when you peeled the plastidip off?????

If you want the darker cleaner finish then try a clay bar. If that does not work then test spray some more plasti-dip and peel it off. To me it looks like the plasti-dip removed some "built-up" product and dirt from the finish. Think of it as applying a mask to your face. When you remove it you also remove other crap like dead skin cells, old make-up, pollution, etc. from your skin.

If you want the patina'd original finish then you will have to leave the area the you peeled and see what happens. But my guess is that it will take a year or so for the areas to blend together if ever. Think of it like painting a panel of a 10 year old car. If you just use the original paint mix it will never blend into the rest of the car. Instead you have to adjust the color mix so it matches the color of the car now.

Reactions: Czechman
#16 ·
test spray some more plasti-dip and peel it off. To me it looks like the plasti-dip removed some "built-up" product and dirt from the finish. Think of it as applying a mask to your face. When you remove it you also remove other crap like dead skin cells, old make-up, pollution, etc. from your skin.
So obvious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.