Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Scratches on trunk lid Need Advice

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  CCrew 
#1 ·
So I recently acquired scratches all over my trunk. Most of them on the larger of the two stripes that grace my deck lid. I already removed the bad stripe and ordered another from Steve White Parts but there are scratches in between the stripes on the clear coat that may require wet sanding and polishing. Has anyone wet sanded and polished a new car with success? If so can you provide your mistakes so that I know not to make them when I try this? There are also some light dealer scratches on other areas the I'd like to tend to.

The car is black and I'm afraid of swirls.
Don't mind the water spots all over the car. I was in no mood to dry it off.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I recently removed some scratches on my trunklid

...and I have a black car. I used polish, and buffed by hand. I buffed back and forth (not in circles). No swirls. Scratches are GONE. It took about 30 minutes. Take your time. Don't over buff.

#3 ·
...and I have a black car. I used polish, and buffed by hand. I buffed back and forth (not in circles). No swirls. Scratches are GONE. It took about 30 minutes. Take your time. Don't over buff.
Good advice. Factory clear coat doesn't wet sand well - it's waaaaay to thin and easy to sand through. Once that happens clear doesn't spot repair well and you're reshooting the whole decklid. I'd personally take a DA buffer to it with some Meguiars Ultimate compound followed by Meguiars Ultimate Polish to get it ready for wax (and no swirls).

Meguiars UC has the same amount of cut as their professional 105/205 combo but is a lot easier to work with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.