Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Streaks?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Hazardous 
#1 ·
I believe this is the best place to ask about this but correct me if i'm wrong.

So here's the scoop, I bought my car about a month or 2 ago. It's a used 2012 Challenger R/T classic, I hadn't really noticed until about 2 weeks later this weird looking spot on the front of the hood in the sunlight, at first I thought it was some grease or something that'd come off easy in a wash and to my dismay...it did not.

On closer inspection there seem to be some white streaks around the area. Also I've let the car accumulate some dust to highlight the area that is affected, not to mention dust doesn't collect as easily on that area affected.

Now I know it's not anything I've done, because I've pretty much done nothing besides simple washes since I bought it, plan to have it properly detailed soon. But my question is, might any of you know what this is? Something I can fix myself easily or something I could have a professional do? I'd prefer having a professional fix it if its not something that'll cost me an excess of $500 (I love my baby but i'm a 22 year old with bills to pay so that's really my limit) Any help is greatly appreciated! :grin2: It's the one blemish keeping my car from being perfect in my eyes :crying:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Either something was drug across it or the hood was up when it struck something IMO. Either way it needs to be polished out.
It will take a lot of effort but you could probably do it by hand with a good combination polish/wax product.

Reactions: Antagonist R/T
#3 ·
Hard to say what exactly caused it. Welcome to the world of having a black car. With a little research you'll find you can get it out yourself. If you have $500 budget I would suggest investing in an orbital polisher for around $100-$200. Harbor freight actually sells a really good one for begginers. If you have time look up the Junkman videos on YouTube and he will show you a lot. You could also check out some videos on auto geeks that are very informative.

#4 ·
if your gonna have the car detailed let him take care of it.it looks like a scuff in the clear coat.when you go to the detail guy he will get that out.it doesnt take much to scuff the clear coat.you could have parked at the grocery store and someone could have put something down on your hood so they could send a text.i was at a car show and this guy (obviously not a car guy)picked up his 4 yr old son and plunked him down on the hood of somebody elses 1970 black cuda to get the kids picture.the owner wasnt around so i yelled at him.the average person has no idea theyre doing wrong..if you try scratch ex or compound you will end up with what they call a fog spot..you will see it a mile away..let the detail guy do it

#5 ·
Scratches, swirls, and waterspots are going to be a constant battle to fight off in that car. I have pitch black and once you have a black car you will realize how much a regular wash not done correctly will scratch your car. You can pay an arm and a leg to have a detailer do the dirty work for you but it might be a waste if you put all the scratches right back in it the next wash. I would look into the two bucket method. Good luck with whatever route you choose to go

#6 ·
Exact same spot as mine. I believe you have the infamous Challenger front weatherstrip coming apart and flapping/beating against the front of the hood while at speed. It starts small and you can't see while driving.

#7 ·
Whoa, you might have hit the nail right on the head with that. I never thought of it but looking at where the strip has torn currently lines up pretty much perfectly with where the marks are. Think I should just tear the rest of it off? I mean I don't think the strip is really salvagable at this point and if it's just going to get worse and continue contributing to the problem then no point leaving it on right?

Also thanks everyone, you guys are the best! :thumbsup: I'll grab one of those orbital polishers for future use/upkeep once I have the detailer fix this.

#8 ·
Any factory warranty left?

If so, get the weather strip replaced and have the dealership body shop address the scratches created by the defective part

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
Just barely I think since it's a 2012 so I think I'm still within the 3 years. I'm at the 25k mile mark so I think I should still be covered for a few more months. I'll definitely swing by and point it out to them, any money saved is a blessing to me really if I can have them fix the whole issue. Big save with that info, thanks brother!

#11 ·
if you are gonna go with the orbital buffer 3M makes a product called swirl remover...it is a little pricey but it works like magic.you can use it on the whole car.either buy it on line or a place that sells paint/autobody supplies..not something you see at autozone-pepboys type of places

#13 ·
There are several makers of quality auto care products but sadly you can't buy them at Autozone etc. It will need to be buffed out and do not try to do it by hand, you will make it worse and wear out your arm in the process, the paint is too hard.
Mguires, Zano, Ammo, Chemical Guys and more make great products.
The Harbor Freight DA buffer works pretty well and is only about $70. You will use it for much more than polishing the car. It makes waxing easy and quick. There are brushes you can get for it to remove spots from the carpet/upholstery.
It is not of the highest quality but it is better than nothing and it works. The controls are a little funky to use and there is more vibration than in better buffers but as said, it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.