Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Water spot "miracle cure"

5K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  PaVaSteeler 
#1 ·
Our car is Blackberry Pearl. We have water spots so bad on our car that people think it's part of the paint, made to make it look like a textured finish.

So, I've tried vinegar as well as a clay bar, and had no luck.

I tried a water spot remover from Mother's and had ok results, in that it took off the more recent ones but left the majority of old ones still there.

They say there is no "miracle cure" for water spots yet last year at the Mopar Summit show in Gresham Oregon, a local detailer was showing off his handy work at removing water doors and I volunteered our car for his demo. He sprayed something on our car from a spray bottle and wiped it off and after doing so a couple times, that part of our car was like it just came from the factory.

He used it on part of the back glass and it worked on that too. He wouldn't say what was in it, you had to go to his shop and pay to have your car done.

It's been almost a year and those spots are still clean and make the rest of our car look even worse than it is.

Anyone have any idea what would work that well? He said it something they invented at his shop....

See less See more
#3 ·
i doubt the fact its something he invented or he would have been selling bottles of it.3M is the only company that might sell something that might work.they sell swirl remover that works but you need a buffing wheel to do it with.

#7 ·
#10 ·
#8 ·
I have not heard of the product you speak of. I would like to have had it when my car got water spots from a so called "spot free" rinse that was about spot free as muddy water. It took me about 4hrs to get my car spot free.

For the most part, water spots are minerals in the water that form a ring as the water evaporates. These minerals can etch the clear coat leaving a permanent blemish in the clear coat. You may be able to temporally cover them with a wax or polish, but that will wear off. The only way to repair water spots is to correct your clear coat. A DA polisher works great for this.

I would head over the the autogeek forum, and ask the experts there, they will be able to help more than I, and they may know of the product you speak of.

#9 ·
I have this stuff called Water spot remover that I bought in Hawaii. It's like a liquid that has to remain wet as you wipe in circles. It is clear coat safe but you have to wax afterwards. The big thing is do not let it freeze or dry (do not use in the sun). I even used it on my buddy's dark blue BMW and it took the water spots off.

#14 ·
I have this stuff called Water spot remover that I bought in Hawaii. It's like a liquid that has to remain wet as you wipe in circles. It is clear coat safe but you have to wax afterwards. The big thing is do not let it freeze or dry (do not use in the sun). I even used it on my buddy's dark blue BMW and it took the water spots off.

We go up North for vacation and have our boat in the lake for 2 weeks straight. When I get it home I use Iron Out to remove the iron stains on the gel coat, and then toilet bowl cleaner to remove the water spots. It's kind of funny because I use Liquid Glass car wax on the hull before I go, and the solution of Hydrofluoric Acid from the toilet bowl cleaner removes every bit of the wax and I have a thick layer of blue wax left on top of the water in the wash bucket when I'm done. Good stuff, just work fast and with lots of water.

#12 ·
The windows on my previous Challenger had terrible water spots that would show up every time the car got wet. I tried everything and finally found a forum online that said meguiars Ultimate Compound worked well. They sell it at Walmart, and all you do it apply it to a microfiber cloth and apply some circular pressure to the car. Not only does it remove water spots like crazy, it'll break up other marks and contaminants. That worked best for me. Definitely follow up with a polish and wax though, the ultimate compound will take everything else off the car.

#16 ·
If left long enough, water spots can etch the paint. At that point the only true way to remove them is to polish the paint and even then if they are bad enough you may have a perm. mark. That is why the water spots keep showing up on the windshield in an above post. A buffer and polish may be the only way to remove them.
After you get rid of them, apply good sealant and wax then don't let water dry on the car again.

#17 ·
Subscribed

#18 ·
A clay bar is for small contaminants. You need more abrasive to get hard dried on water spots. Polishing and waxing are the best way to remove and prevent. Also, always move your car to the shade to dry after washing. You can get a great orbital polisher from McGuiars for a couple of hundred bucks. There are a million good polishes on the market. My detailer friend recommended Blackfire products. They work extremely well.

Attachments

#19 ·
I haven't had a problem on my paint, but I've got two water spots on my spoiler I just can't remove

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.