Dodge Challenger Forum banner

What are you using to clean your wheels?

12K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  GreenHornet 
#1 ·
Some forum members insist Mopar Wheel Cleaner is the one they like the most and the owners manual clearly states what kinds NOT to use.
Also, it is impossible to find the Mopar wheel cleaner online except for 1 or 2 vendors that I am not familiar with and their websites were blah.
As an I.T. guy that is a red flag sometimes.
On the Meguiers forum, members discovered that one of their wheel cleaners is composed as the same as the Mopar cleaner.
BUT...it is a known fact that Meguier's makes custom cleaners for OEMs.
Thus, it is close but not exactly the same.
I have used a few different Chemical Guys wheel cleaners to remove brake dust on my Camaro but was not impressed.
Seems only elbow grease works.

#2 ·
I don't like to use harsh chemicals on my forged aluminum wheels. I just use car wash soap to thoroughly clean them. Every couple of months I wax them. For fast cleanings, I use Meguiar's Detail Spray.

As for the Brembo brake dust, it comes off easily using a water spray bottle and paper towels. Occasionally, waxing the inner wheel surface makes the dust come off even easier.

#4 ·
Yep, no chemicals for me either.

I use the local car wash, and only use the high pressure wash, then the high pressure rinse, then take it out for a short spin to drip dry it! lol

I haven't hand washed mine yet, but probably will a few times a year, then only wipe down with detail spray.

This is how they look with 5k on them:

#5 ·
I've been guilty of using the tire and wheel cleaner at the 25 cent wash when I'm on the road, so far so good but sometimes I think I'm crazy for doing this. Just so hard to keep these wheels clean with the Brembos.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

#6 ·
#10 ·
Anyone with personal experience with Sonax Wheel Cleaner ?

A Guy
Yep!

In my opinion, it's the best wheel cleaner out there and probably the easiest to use. Although I will say, that I haven't tried them all because after Sonax, I'd be wasting money because it works that well.

It's ph neutral, so you can use it on any type of wheels from a chrome steel wheel to a billet aluminum three piece forged piece of rolling jewelry. I use it on our SRT wheels and have used it on my old set of CCW three piece ones and it just works.

One of the coolest things is that after you spray it on a cool, dry wheel, it starts to change colors (from a neon green to red) as it devours that brake dust. You leave it sit on the wheel for a couple minutes (don't let it dry on the wheel), brush it with a wheels brush or whatever you want to use and then rinse it off. Sometimes, you might have to do it twice if you have alot of brake dust (such as stock SRT Brembo pads will do).

I recommend that you give it a try because it does work and won't harm your wheels. :cheers:

#7 ·
Really depends on how dirty you let em get, you won't need a strong soot cutter if you touch up in between washes...not really sure if any of them will do 100% of the work (still will need elbow grease) but I've found one that comes close, its called "Code Red" (pep boys) it turns color when ready to rinse it off, though this stuff is super harsh on your rims and sniffer "phew"...but it's the best I've used to cut thick soot

#8 ·
I just use car soap with a soft sponge...then Mothers spray for chrome wheels
I do them every week, but l have issues lol...hate dirty wheels, do the same on my truck/Jeep.

Attachments

#11 ·
Thanks FreddyG. Seeing videos, and reading reviews you never know. But someone who actually used it is different. I have black painted wheels, and if they need real cleaning, I want to know that the cleaner won't harm the finish. A Guy

#15 ·
You're Welcome! :cheers:

I agree that you never know about those videos and reviews, unless you know the person making them. Sonax advertises that it's ph neutral and will work on any wheel. From what I've seen and used it on, I believe that because I've used it on different types without a problem.

I think that it's worth a try, but beware..........it's habit forming, especially if you watch it turn colors while it works. The secret is to give it a minute and then use the wheel brush on it, but try not to let it dry, then rinse it off. It doesn't have to be done, but I usually wash the wheel again with soap and water to make sure that I didn't miss anything.

Please let me know if you try it and how you like it (good or bad). :cheers:

#14 ·
Sonax is a great product for safely breaking down brake dust and thoroughly cleaning wheels.

I use P21S Gel as my maintenance wheel wash. Safe, effective but doesn't remove tar all that well.

If things are pretty atrocious - the Meguiars Detaliers line has some potent acid and acid-free wheel cleaners.

Mother's used to have an excellent and inexpensive foam wheel cleaner (with a lighter purple car on the bottle) you could fund locally, but I haven't seen it for a year or so.

Wheel Woolies are nice (especially the curved ones) for the 5-spoke type of wheels, or get a bendable squirrel-tail one for intricate/8+ spoke wheels. Mothers also has a nice 3-pack of brushes for wheels, tores and fenderwells.

#16 ·
I have found that one of the most important factors for cleaning wheels is a good brush. I really like the Speed Master. Chemical Bros has a similar looking one called Concourse Brush. Regular car wash soap works fine and is gentle on the car, your skin, eyes and wherever your rinse ends up. Just stay to the side of the wheel so when you pull the brush back out of the wheel, you don't get sprayed. These brushes are good for the WRTs or other wheels with the the larger openings. Since the brushes are big, they make cleaning the inner part of the wheel quick and easy. I echo that applying some sort of wax every once in a while makes the routine cleaning process much easier.

#20 ·
Why drive a Challenger or a high end exotic when you can get to the same destination with a $10k Mitsubishi Mirage?

Why use Windex on windows when 409 can clean them? Windex, by the way, is composed of ammonia with a basic pH (well above neutral).

If you check out detailing forums you can read about people getting gallons of cleaner from Simple Green and Purple Power concentrates - but results are very mixed regarding effectiveness and compatibility.

To each their own, but I'll use wheel cleaners meant to safely clean road and brake grime from my wheels.

#23 ·
I use 'Eagle One' PVD & Aluminum wheel cleaner. It's pH neutral and made for forged aluminum wheels. Works great, spray on rinse off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.