Developing Mishimoto's Aluminum Hellcat Radiator - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Developing Mishimoto's Aluminum Hellcat Radiator

The pre-sale for this radiator is now live! Please be sure to check the fitment sheet on the site to verify fitment for your vehicle.

Dodge Challenger Aluminum Radiator Pre-Sale

Hey everybody!

My name is Steve and I work for Mishimoto as an automotive journalist. My job is to let you all know about upcoming products and give you some insight into our product development process as well as gather your feedback and ideas on how we could make our products even better. Check out our Engineering Blog to see everything we're working on!

We're really excited to announce that we're currently working on a new product for the Charger and Challenger Hellcat, with fitments for a wide variety of other vehicles. Keep reading for a first look at our development process and feel free to comment or PM me with any feedback or questions!

ONE COOL HELLCAT – DODGE LX CHASSIS RADIATOR – PART 1

Usually, when I write about our products here at Mishimoto, I’m looking for the underlying meaning behind driving. Our performance intakes don’t just let more air into your engine; they let it breathe as fast as you do when you’re pushing the car to its limits. Our oil coolers don’t just keep oil cooler; they give you the confidence to shift a little later, to push the throttle a little harder. Our products aren’t just about what they do or how they do it; they’re about possibilities and living a little faster than everybody else. This time, however, my job is a bit simpler. This time, I’m writing about our Dodge Charger Hellcat aluminum radiator and the point is clear: it doesn’t blow up.

A Not-So-Peaceful Mind

You see, about a year ago, Dodge released a factory service bulletin (FSB) for “intermittent coolant weepage from upper radiator hose or radiator.” Yet, if you search the forums or talk to people who have had this issue, the stories vary. Some report smelling coolant every now and then. For an unlucky few, the end tank of the radiator separates at high RPM, emptying the engine of coolant and stranding the driver.

While this FSB only applies to a select set of radiators, eventually, most plastic radiator end tanks will crack. Furthermore, vehicle owners are not notified of FSB’s, so you won’t know if your radiator is affected until you start having problems. Either way, it’s not an issue you want to be worrying about when you’re trying to use all 707 horsepower at your disposal. Luckily, Mishimoto is developing an option to put your mind at ease.

The models that we’re able to make using SEMA data are extremely accurate, enough so that we can make samples from them to confirm fitment.

An Extra Hellish Cat

To begin developing our aluminum replacement radiator, we looked to the SEMA data for the Hellcat. We don’t always have the opportunity to buy or bring in vehicles to gather measurements and fitment data. When this is the case, we rely on SEMA data. SEMA data is a database of manufacturer specs and information that we can use to build accurate prototypes. Our engineers then use 3D-drawing software to create a model for our samples to be made from. Once we have a production sample, we can begin test-fitting on volunteer cars. For this project, we were able to borrow this bad-ass, 800-plus-wheel-horsepower 2015 Charger Hellcat from our friends over at ID Motorsports.

This Charger Hellcat is far from stock, including a 65HP nitrous system.

Once we had the car in our development facility, we began tearing down the front end and fitting our sample radiator. From our market research and others’ experiences, we knew that space would be tight, but as we got deeper into this Hellcat, we learned that “tight” was an understatement. We were hoping there would be a little room for us to make a larger radiator but it didn’t look like that was going to happen. At this point, I had to put down the camera and lend a hand extracting the radiator from the parfait of heat exchangers under the front bumper of the Hellcat, so I apologize for the lack of disassembled pictures.

Our engineer Jason, and Rob, our video host and resident man-bun expert, dig into the Charger’s front end. There’s a radiator in there somewhere. You may also recognize Rob’s luscious locks from our install and “features & benefits” videos."

The front end of this Charger is covered in heat exchangers, including a beautiful liquid-to-air intercooler, complete with a nitrous spray system.

After we removed the OEM radiator and installed our Mishimoto aluminum radiator, we took this monster out onto the highway to get some temperature data. After about 20 minutes of steady highway driving (and resisting the temptation to push the throttle a little harder), we returned to the shop to swap back in the OEM radiator and repeat the process. Another 20-minute cruise later, we had our final data ready to crunch. Given the size and airflow restrictions inherent with the placement of the OEM radiator, we weren’t expecting a huge increase in performance.

The Mishimoto aluminum radiator end tanks (left) are definitely not going anywhere

The results were as we expected, with performance matching that of the OEM radiator. Dodge has definitely created one efficient radiator. After all, this particular Hellcat is regularly pushing more than 800 horsepower to the wheels and has never seen an overheating issue. However, we always start a project with the goal of solving a problem. If you compare the end tanks of the Mishimoto radiator to the OEM plastic and crimped end tanks, I think you’ll see we’ve reached that goal.

You definitely won’t have to worry about these end tanks separating or cracking and dumping coolant all over the road. Combine top quality with our lifetime warranty and your peace of mind should be restored to use all of that 707 horsepower. But what’s even better than peace of mind? Performance. While this radiator will be a preventative upgrade for the Hellcat, it will be a massive capacity upgrade for a variety of other Dodge and Chrysler vehicles. We’re confident that this radiator will greatly improve the cooling system’s performance on these vehicles; but before we can release this radiator, we need your help!

Coming up: You can help

Now that we’ve confirmed fitment for the Hellcat and are sure that our radiator will perform up to the highest standards, we’ll be pushing this beauty to production! But that’s not all that’s happening. In fact, we need your help! We’re looking for a few vehicles to test fit this radiator on. Participants will be rewarded with either a $50 Amazon.com gift card or a production version of this radiator for their vehicle.

So, if you own, or know anybody who owns one of the following vehicles in the Delaware region, please let us know here or by contacting us!

R&D Vehicles Needed

2005-2012 Chrysler 300C or 300 SRT
2005-2008 Dodge Magnum R/T or SRT
2006-2015 Dodge Charger R/T or SRT
2008-2015 Dodge Challenger R/T or SRT

Thanks for reading!

-Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mishimoto; 12-15-2016 at 08:50 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mishimoto For This Useful Post:
Perfracer (12-14-2016), SKULLNUTZ (10-05-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 09:10 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Looks good! Too bad Im too far away or I would have volunteered my Scat.

Keep us posted!

2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat A8
Bwoody CAI (soon)
Stock for now
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKULLNUTZ View Post
Looks good! Too bad Im too far away or I would have volunteered my Scat.

Keep us posted!
Thank you for the support! We're hoping to find a local vehicle, but if that doesn't work out we may expand our search.

Thanks again,

-Steve

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 10:29 AM
Supporting Vendor

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,512 Posts
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
the demand for HC specific Radiator is rather small, and so far the ones we have used did not fit well, missing tabs, had to weld mounts, etc

the demand is probably much higher for a 11 thru 16 r/t , srt applications

a thought,

we also sell, use, and highly recommend your thermostats all the time

even in my own Bigred

THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH US
WE WILL NOT BE UNDERSOLD!!!!!!
PLEASE VISIT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FOR THE BEST MOPAR PARTS PRICES ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!

828-324-4410
800-779-3634

The Following User Says Thank You to stevewhiteparts For This Useful Post:
SKULLNUTZ (10-05-2016)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewhiteparts View Post
the demand for HC specific Radiator is rather small, and so far the ones we have used did not fit well, missing tabs, had to weld mounts, etc

the demand is probably much higher for a 11 thru 16 r/t , srt applications
Thank you for the advice! We're definitely excited to see how this radiator performs on the R/T and SRT applications. We pride ourselves in making sure that all of our parts fit perfectly, and after test fitting on this HC Charger, we're sure this radiator fits like a glove. That being said, we're going to be test fitting on every application listed to be sure it fits on those as well and includes everything the stock rads do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewhiteparts View Post

we also sell, use, and highly recommend your thermostats all the time

even in my own Bigred
That's great to hear! We really appreciate the support and that's a beautiful car, I would love to hear it run! Are you guys sponsored by us? If not, you should definitely look into it: https://www.mishimoto.com/get-sponsored.html

Thanks again!

-Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Mishimoto For This Useful Post:
stevewhiteparts (10-05-2016)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 03:57 PM
Supporting Vendor

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,512 Posts
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

(Thread Starter)
Very awesome, we appreciate the support. If you're ever up in the Wilmington, DE area, let us know!

-Steve
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

(Thread Starter)
MOPAR, Mo' Cooling – Dodge LX Chassis Radiator - Part 2

America loves the V8…and so do I

The American V8 has always held a special place in my heart. My father owned a 1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland motor (it was green). That car was rear-ended by a bus long before I was born, so I never experienced it for myself, but I got to live vicariously through his stories. He got his first ticket in that car thanks to a little too much throttle and a gravel road. One of my earliest memories of a car is the sound of my mother’s 1981 4.9 turbo Trans Am starting up the day she sold it (after my brother hit a deer with it). Those two cars cemented my love for the American V8, but I was never quite able to find one for myself. That’s why I was so excited to get to work on this LX chassis radiator project. I finally got my chance to get up close and personal with a few true American V8s.

Back in September I told you about the badass, 800-plus horsepower 2015 Charger Hellcat that Eric at ID Motorsports let us borrow to test the fitment and performance of our LX chassis aluminum radiator. In the month following that testing, we’ve been seeking out more volunteers to help us test this radiator in other R/T and SRT applications. Thanks to two generous volunteers, we’ve been able to test this radiator on a 2013 Challenger R/T and a 2012 Charger R/T. The fitment testing isn’t the most exciting process, nor is the temperature testing, so I figured I’d give a quick run through of those tests and then put my art degree to use and share some nice photos of these cars.

Everybody in the shop had to come out and admire Neichaun's 2013 Challenger R/T

The first vehicle on which we test fitted the radiator was Neichaun’s 2013 Dodge Challenger R/T. We had the Challenger for only the day so we wanted to get started as soon as possible, but of course, everybody in the office had to come out and admire the car first. To their credit, this isn’t any ordinary R/T. Aside from the Shaker intake, this Challenger is caged, bored and stroked, on both air and a healthy dose of nitrous. Neichaun regularly takes this beast to the drag strip, where she runs about a 11.3 10.9 second quarter-mile times. But back to the radiator test fit. We put the car on the lift, and Jason began taking off the bumper and making his way to the radiator.

Jason quickly put the Challenger up on the lift to start removing the bumper and stock radiator

After removing the bumper, we found that the Challenger has a huge amount of room around the radiator in comparison to the Charger Hellcat for which this radiator was originally designed. While we have the room to make the radiator larger for these vehicles (with the exception of the Hellcat), this design is already extremely efficient and larger than the stock R/T and SRT radiators. Keeping the radiator’s size well within the constraints of the bumper will make installation much easier as well.

Look at all of that room for activities!

Jason proceeded to remove the stock radiator and install our aluminum replacement. Because we had the Challenger for only the day, this would be just a dry test fit to make sure that all our brackets and hoses line up. Once we got everything bolted on, we were happy to see that all the hoses and brackets lined up great! One of the brackets for the AC condenser (pictured above) is in a slightly different position than on the Hellcat, but that will be easily solved with the addition of a simple spacer.

Jason was really excited to test fit this radiator, if you couldn’t guess.

Jason and our newest project manager, Andrew, install the Mishimoto aluminum radiator into the Challenger.

After the fitment of our radiator was confirmed, Jason pulled it out and reinstalled the stock radiator, and the Challenger was on its way back to Neichaun. Super exciting, right? Well, get ready for the next test!

Test, test, test

Unfortunately, I did not get any photos of Jason removing the stock radiator and installing the Mishimoto radiator in the second vehicle we borrowed, a 2012 Charger R/T, thanks to Nicholas. Luckily, however, we had this Charger for a few days, so we had time to test fit the radiator and do another performance test. While the testing itself wasn’t the most exciting, I did get to ride along in a chase car and snap some nice photos. As for the tests results, we were happy to find that this radiator performs just as well on the R/T models as it does on the Hellcat. It’s also important to remember that this radiator provides more than just cooling; it gives you the peace of mind that comes with welded aluminum end tanks and a lifetime warranty.

Who says an art degree isn’t useful?

Now that we’re done with the testing, let’s get on to the really fun stuff: photos! Because we had Neichaun’s Challenger for just one day, I was able to get only a few close-up photos. However, you can check out more photos of this awesome car and follow Neichaun’s build on her instagram: @Mopaarr.

To check out the photos of Neichaun’s Challenger R/T and Nicholas’s Charger R/T visit our blog.

Coming up

While we’ve tested this radiator on the Hellcat platform and the Charger and Challenger R/T platforms, we’re still looking to test it on a lot more vehicles and we still need volunteer cars for that testing! If you own or know somebody who owns one of the following vehicles, please let us know!
  • 2005-2012 Chrysler 300C
  • 2005-2012 Chrysler 300 SRT
  • 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum R/T
  • 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum SRT

Thanks for reading!

-Steve

Last edited by Mishimoto; 11-23-2016 at 09:05 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

(Thread Starter)
Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator Pre-Sale!

Hi all!

I wanted to give you guys a quick update and show you some better photos of this radiator. I also wanted to let you know that we’re excited to announce that the pre-sale for this radiator has started!

This is your chance to get your Challenger, Charger, 300C or Magnum a durable radiator with a lifetime warranty for 30% off MSRP! Be sure to take a look at the fitment list below and on the website as there are two versions of this radiator for different vehicles and cooling packages.

Check out the photos and links below and, as always, feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

Also, please note that we will be having a second pre-sale for the fitments outlined on the following sheet once test-fitting is complete:

Thanks!

-Steve

Sale Price: $569.95
MSRP: $820

2008-16 Dodge Challenger V8 with 2-In-1 A/C Condenser Performance Aluminum Radiator Pre-Sale

2006-16 Dodge Charger V8 with 2-In-1 A/C Condenser Performance Aluminum Radiator Pre-Sale

2006-08 Dodge Magnum V8 with 2-In-1 A/C Condenser Performance Aluminum Radiator Pre-Sale

2005-16 Chrysler 300 V8 with 2-In-1 A/C Condenser Performance Aluminum Radiator Pre-Sale

Fitment Sheet (click to englarge)

Last edited by Mishimoto; 01-18-2017 at 12:20 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 09:58 AM

Looks like something I may consider when swapping out my 392 for a 426 stroker and 4.5 Whipple on the SRT next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Supporting Vendors > Mishimoto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode