Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Best CAI Brand & Why?

60K views 220 replies 84 participants last post by  magnumforc 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 RT automatic and need help choosing the best CAI for my car. Let me know your opinions, thanks.

#127 ·
My vote is for the C&L Performance CAI. I love the finished look and the notable performance gains. I used their product on my Mustang and my Challenger. Love it! I'm using a 392 IAT to help dismiss any concerns about the intake tube (aluminum) affecting the sensor. Now that the weather is cooler, I'll have to use my Predator tuner to monitor intake temp. It also has a 4" throat at the throttle body with a 4.0-3.5" reducer. So I'm looking to upgrade to a 90mm throttle body. I haven't dyno'ed yet but I'll try over the winter.

As for the aluminum tube and resonation, its VERY solid and at WOT sounds awesome! Just running through the gears around town, it sounds like forced induction.

The only thing I don't like on the HEMI setup is the custom cone filter with 45-degree neck. I wish it used standard cone filters.

#128 ·
Fender pull intakes will usually by at the top as far as gains.

For short ram intakes there's only two or three I would consider, the AFE Stage II CAI, or the Legmaker AirHammer or the Frankentake. These have been dyno tested as the top performers.

Airaid is okay, but they are overpriced IMO.

I went with the AFE and couldn't be happier.

#129 ·
Fender pull intakes will usually by at the top as far as gains.

For short ram intakes there's only two or three I would consider, the AFE Stage II CAI, or the Legmaker AirHammer or the Frankentake. These have been dyno tested as the top performers.

Airaid is okay, but they are overpriced IMO.

I went with the AFE and couldn't be happier.
agreed.

my 392 has the Legmaker Frank IV and my RT just got the Legmaker Fender Pull.

both are carbon fiber tubes made by Chris Harrigan with S&B Filters...

#131 ·
Put in the Mopar CAI on the 2012 5.7 and it looks and sounds sweet. Better fuel mileage too. I don't know if there is any significant power improvement, it does seem to pull a bit better in the upper RPM range, but that could just be the intake sounding so good. Just let me pay a bit less at the pump and dazzle the under-hood lookers and I'm happy.

#132 ·
i won't debate that mopar intake'll look good, it ALREADY looks good on the seller's showroom floor! I guess doing a little bit more research, even though the LMI carbon fiber intake will keep the air cooler before hitting the intake manifold, it won't make too big of a difference on performance if i went to the (i'm assuming aluminum) intake body of the mopar CAI.

i personally like the satin silver look more than the darker carbon fiber, flashier and louder... ok, so i'm leaning more towards the mopar... unless someone has any dyno reports that could sway me... ::ahem:: :)

#133 ·
my issue with DYNO REPORTS is this. you will get different numbers on different dynos. one might make 5hp.. one might make 12hp.. one was done on 70 degree day with low humidity.. one was done on 95 degree day ect.

a dyno is not he be all end all. a dyno is a reference tool to help make adjustments and have a BASE set of numbers to follow. guidelines so to speak. i would say if you like the satin.. go for it.. i don't think you will see or feel 10 cents difference between the two. but that is just my opinon.

i had a r2c when i first got my car.. they supposedly make more hp than any other cai on the market.. i didn't see beans differnence.. no i didn't go to a dyno. but if i am purchasing something and have to take it to a dyno to see a difference.. then it ain't worth it. i think the cai is a 2 fold purpose.. adds air to the intake side with what should be better filtration. and looks.

again just my opinon

#138 ·
so, technically, the LMI carbon fiber tube is better performing than the mopar/aem tube for the fender mounts? i'm comparing fender mount to fender mount here btw

I personally like the satin silver look with blue emblem over the CF look, but i'm just trying to get a good bearing on whether or not the performance is worth the aesthetics.

#139 ·
so, technically, the LMI carbon fiber tube is better performing than the mopar/aem tube for the fender mounts?
I doubt there's any concrete evidence, but I'll take Legmaker's carbon fiber tube over Mopars ten times outta ten...

Also, Legmaker is quite possibly THE premier intake for the LX...it's specifically made for the LX community and has been steadily outperforming its competitors since 06...

#149 ·
there is a very tiny rectangular piece of metal that can be sheered off easily - i think it's about 2.5 - 3" long.

once that piece is cut off, you'll have plenty of room.

#148 ·
i believe if you go with the LMI fender cai then yes it needs opened up

#151 ·
In my opinion, the LMI True cold air IV is the best, just because it puts the IAT way down into the cold air stream, which helps promote better tuning:bluecap:

#152 ·
#154 · (Edited)
The SP CAI comes with the extension that reaches the new location.
If you take a look at my previous post and go to that link, the picture of the product shows the extension with the kit.

#155 ·
I had this issue when I was searching for a CAI 2 years ago. I looked at MOPAR, AFE, (ugh K&N) and so on, I settled on the roto-fab CAI, as at the time it was the ONLY one that had both a plastic tube (less heat soak) and seals when you close the hood. No complaints, great product, still recommend it.

#159 ·
15hp.

man i had one on my car and didn't see no 15hp. i would think that much gain you would feel something.. I sent mine back got my money back

chris

#160 ·
Well like others have stated, CA places extreme scrutiny on emissions... And I just so happen to be. CA resident *sigh* hah. With that all said though, my Mopar CAI still works wonders. I'd probably still buy the same one regardless of the state I live in :)

#162 ·
Really Litos, just cause I only have 20 post I speak nonsense. Well your just a loser that hangs out on the forums. Maybe do research instead of calling someone out right away. I would think you would have a little class since your a senior member. Maybe I'd post more here if guys like you didn't just disagree to disagree

#164 ·
All of these CAIs have about the same filter area, pipe size, and media flow charactertistics. They all make about the same level of power/TQ. Not sucking in hot underhood air is preferred (why do you think Legmaker has a fender pull variant).

Here is the kick in the shorts - the stock PCM will 'unlearn' all bolt-on gains - it's been proven several times by Brian @ SNL on the same car/dyno before/after a drive cycle. The car shows gains before, and they are all but gone after the drive cycle. The only way to preserve the gains from bolt-ons is with a tune which permanently alters the air/fuel/spark tables.

#165 ·
All of these CAIs have about the same filter area, pipe size, and media flow charactertistics. They all make about the same level of power/TQ. Not sucking in hot underhood air is preferred (why do you think Legmaker has a fender pull variant).

Here is the kick in the shorts - the stock PCM will 'unlearn' all bolt-on gains - it's been proven several times by Brian @ SNL on the same car/dyno before/after a drive cycle. The car shows gains before, and they are all but gone after the drive cycle. The only way to preserve the gains from bolt-ons is with a tune which permanently alters the air/fuel/spark tables.
Thus we harken back to packing the intakes with dry ice before runs to cool the intake air to a denser state, hoping we had enough in the cooler for the day. The trick is cold dense air to the intake and no matter how you get it there it's the actual amount and final temperature that matters.

That said. Herminator is correct in that the stock PCM will soon unlearn all the tricks and you're back to square one unless you can tune it (deceive is probably a better word) and it now can have all the parameters changed to make full use of your modifications.

I know this is our Challenger forum and I hesitate to bring up..Chevy, but I had a guy in Temecula, CA who did custom chips and tuning right at the car and he turned my Z-28 from a quick machine into a street freak with his computer and chips. Wish the Challenger was as easy and he was still around to do his magic.

We'll get the tuner...patience will pay off inevitably!

#167 ·
I just read all 17 pages, and Im still left with a question. I have a 2012 R/T Auto and was looking to upgrade to the LMI Frankentake IV. After reading this, I am better off with JUST changing the intake tube to the non-silenced version? The Frankentake is $244 to my door, but if it wont produce better results than the stock paper filter and box, why not spend the $62 on the tube (plus shipping)?

The car is bone stock (less than 2k miles on it) but Im getting the force II catback installed at the same time as whatever intake mod I do. I want to make the best decision, and Ive trolled the hell out of these forums to find most of my answers.

Thanks in advance for the reply!

#168 ·
The Frankentake is $244 to my door, but if it wont produce better results than the stock paper filter and box, why not spend the $62 on the tube (plus shipping)?
where did you get this from ??

the Frank IV is a very nice piece - much better than the stock paper filter...

pony up and get the Fender Pull - you won't be dissapointed.....

#169 ·
Re-read the thread I noted and noticed it did say to use a drop in replacement filter with the 6-spd air pipe, not the paper garbage filter. In that case, it would be the 6 speed pipe and an S&B once I figure out what size replaces the stocker.

I dont plan to go far with mod's, simple air intake and exhaust for the first while and maybe way down the road a bit more. Over $300 for an intake with my purposes in mind doesnt really sit with me. $250 was my limit on an intake and the Frankentake IV was perfect for that. I was looking at the air-raid before that.

#172 ·
I went from a Mopar CAI to the LMI fender pull ... OMFG what a difference .. might and day .. and intake air temps dropped almost 50 degrees

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.