Dodge Challenger Forum banner

08-14 owners: Tired of the fanfare for the 2015 cars?

7K views 55 replies 41 participants last post by  His_Limeness 
#1 · (Edited)
I just became a member here in November as a referral from a member and fellow Mopar club guy. I have garnered tons of useful information here and am grateful. I joined to learn of the newest info on the 2015 model. The wife and I have wanted one of these cars since seeing the prototype in 2006. Once the B-5 color was released for this year, we were sold. The 2015 styling revisions invoke my favorite styling cue from the 1971 model, the grille. I love all the years of these cars, but this one knocks it out of the park for me. We ordered 1-14-15 and have a D-1 status, expecting a build date of 2-13-15. While I gush to myself over the appearance and features of the car, I wonder if owners of the earlier models are getting annoyed with the media buzz showered over the new ones. The Hellcat has a tidal wave of interest and support we have never seen and the media seems to love the other styling revisions. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
We live in times where everything gets hyped. Yesterday's product is junk. Which is so stupid. Like the interior talk. As if it is night and day. Sure, the new one is nice. But it is not night and day. And I still have a full electric driver's seat in my 2010. I appreciate the 2015s. But I have stopped listening to the overhyping garbage of the auto press a long time ago. My daily driver is a 2009 Dodge Journey with 172hp and a 4 speed. Magically I am able to survive in it. According to the auto press I should do nothing but complain about it. I am not. It drives just fine.

And congratulations to your ride! It looks cool! Fantastic color choice!

Reactions: R/T-Randy and RobF
#4 ·
Was thinking about upgrading to a hellcat when I heard about it first a couple of years ago but as time went on and saw all the upgrades and changes, mostly interior, decided to keep my yellow jacket. I guess you can call me old fashioned but I really love the interior on this car. It's simple and has everything I need. I'm not a fan of all the gizmos on the new ones. I've got the 730 nav and don't even use most of its features. I've test driven the new ones a couple of times. They're nice but I like mine better. I'm a diehard manual guy and like to take may car around the track often so the new A8 doesn't do anything for me either. I've got the same suspension, engine, brakes, and love the stinger yellow color. I can easily afford a new hellcat. That's not an issue. At this point I'm content with what I have. Congrats on your new car. I love the B5 too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#14 ·
Was thinking about upgrading to a hellcat when I heard about it first a couple of years ago but as time went on and saw all the upgrades and changes, mostly interior, decided to keep my yellow jacket. I guess you can call me old fashioned but I really love the interior on this car. It's simple and has everything I need. I'm not a fan of all the gizmos on the new ones. I've got the 730 nav and don't even use most of its features....I'm a diehard manual guy...so the new A8 doesn't do anything for me either. ...At this point I'm content with what I have....
I've paraphrased, but this about sums up my thoughts and preferences about my '12 R/T versus the '15 cars.

I think that Dodge/Chrysler has done a great job with re-styling the Challenger to capture more buyer's attention, and they've done a MAGNIFICENT job with the marketing to get the word out to so many more buyers than they had since 2008. Kudos to them. Lots of people are now calling a Challenger a Challenger instead of always calling them Chargers----that says a lot right there.

However, I much prefer the '70-inspired styling to the '71-inspired styling, and the simple but bold interior of my '12 is much more appealing to me than the very busy, over-styled look of the '15. I prefer to drive my car rather than be distracted/entertained by all the gizmos in the center console and instrument cluster----not bashing the '15 or anyone who prefers them, I'm just stating a personal preference.

It is a bit of a drag to see so very many posts on here about Hellcat and the '15 model year lately, and relatively little about the pre-'15 cars, but that's progress and I'll get over it. :smile:

#5 ·
I have a 2015 on order. I was very impressed with the interior upgrades and really like the new 8.4" uConnect screen. I think the interior looks great.

I drove a 2014 prior to ordering my 2015 and I thought it drove fine, and I really didn't have an issue with the older dashboard, but yes, it was a bit dated, and I really didn't feel like I was sitting in a "special" car. I feel like Dodge quit styling after finishing the exterior.

The media makes it sound like the pre-2015 interior is some sort of penalty box. I didn't get that at all, but I did feel like the interior was in dire need of a refresh.

For me, the 2015 was the entire package. I liked the exterior restyle, which really made it happen for me, and I liked the interior styling. No interior is perfect, and I'm sure I'll find things I don't like about the 2015 as time goes on.

#6 ·
these Challengers are great cars, but i had a real issue with my '10 and my '13, that being, i like to drive with the seat flat and the St-Wheel horizontal. I could never get the Damn wheel horizontal, and even close, you can't see the gauges, Is this car a city Bus?

5sp trans was too slow to shift.

'15 has addressed these issues, seat flat - nice expensive feel too, steering wheel flat, Can see the gauges!!!

8 spd in the right gear, and shifting like an indy trans.

It's not that the '09-'14 were bad, it's just that the '15s make it a whole new ball game.
anybody deciding btwn the 2 that picks the earlier needs their head examined....

:fight: :)

#11 ·
so when I sit in my 13 rt no options no stripes white 6 speed which I paid 26,500 cash for new and feel like its the car I waited 50 years for dodge to build for me.i need my head examined because im not buying into the marketing hype and opinons of dick heads like you.have drove the 13 2 years and 16,000 miles perfectly happy with it

#7 · (Edited)
I like the exterior styling of the pre-15's. They are cleaner and meaner. The new curved spoilers, big smiley face and other exterior cues are not sitting good with me. The car looks nothing like a 71 like Dodge is trying to sell. The pre 15's look much more retro than the new ones.

The new interior is good with all the soft touch stuff but the pre-15's interior looks a lot bigger and roomier to me...which is what I wanted. More like the 70's.

The A8 and new tech / performance items added are much better than the old.
I was waiting to trade for a 2015 but I am actually looking at 14's.

#8 ·
No not at all. Dodge needs to sell cars to stay in business and the in their eyes the Challenger needed some changes to remain competitive. The 2015 is a nice car, so is my 2013.

#9 ·
I like my 2015 Scat Pack a lot. But I still like my 2009 R/T too and drive it every day since the bad weather hit PA. In fact, there are some things I like better about the 2009 car. If I wasn't able to buy the 2015, I would be quite happy with my 2009.

#10 ·
No I am not getting tired of the hype or discussion.
The 15's and the changes that have been made are now a part of our Challenger history and culture.
New owners love their 15+ Challengers and we should embrace them and their passion in the same manner we enjoyed when our cars where new.
The 15+ exterior styling went in a way I did not dig. The 15 interior styling is pretty nice and now has a more, organic feeling maybe, dunno how to describe.
When I balance all the plusses and minuses for each I still fall into the 08-14 preference however, I still share and encourage the passion for challengers that any model year owner has

Reactions: PSM450
#13 · (Edited)
I like both for totally ddifferent reasons. The 15 styling in certain places I like better.
However I will take the 08 to 2010 Pcm /Tcm out of Any other the year cars. Heck they still finding out new stuff in the older pcm to work with that just gets better.

The 392 option in a RT is a big hit IMO by itself we didnt have back then.
If they do a major body style change would be a huge mistake, like the challenger of the 80s was sick stupid use of the name.
In the end Im glad the 15 buyers are as excited as I was back in 09. I know alot of other friends just now purchasing there first used Challenger, that are very happy as its in there budget.
Everybody>>>> Just ROCK ON !!!!!
FlatTop

#15 ·
I've said this before, but I am leasing a '14 R/T Classic with the option to bump up to a '15 with no additional cost (R/T to R/T), simply extend my lease one year. I can do it as early as March. But... I won't be doing it. I'm not a fan of the new interior and I like the '70 styling better. I HATE the gauge placement on the '15s. I mulled it over and it was an easy decision. The dealer has done his best to push me into the 15 come March, but it won't happen. The ONLY advantage the '15 has is the 392. I also would never own an auto, so the 8 speed is irrelevant. The '15s 15 minutes of fame will fade if it hasn't already....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#16 ·
My father let me drive his header orange '12 RT. It was nice but I wanted more oomph from a car that looked that good. Insert a few other cars here. When I started "looking" last December...I had already heard about the power of the Hellcat first and foremost. Too much...too much power for my wife or kids to drive, and maybe even myself on those bicycle tires it comes with and there's no point in running around on the 500hp key all the time. Even 500hp will over power those 275's with ease.

So I got what I felt was a more balanced car with "pieces" of what is also on the Hellcat.

As to being tired of hearing about a '15, I'm sure my family is.

#18 ·
Tired of the fanfare? Nope. It's a Dodge, I drive a Dodge. To me it's like the AirForce adding a new technologically advanced fighter to its already superior fleet. I'm part of that fleet, and dam proud when I'm in the seat.

#20 ·
I'm not tired of the hype at all. The "better" 2015 interior got me off the pot and into a 2014.

If the old interior is boring, outdated, and parts-bin, fine. The whole concept of a Challenger is outdated. The new interior is too gee-whiz and overstyled for me. So I bought a '14 and love it.

#24 ·
A week after picking up my ...new to me....2010 SRT8 I was at the dealers picking up a hood release that I stupidly broke (not the cars fault, I was in it playing around, parked I might add and drinking :) popped the hood then got involved with the radio and tried to pop the hood again, forgetting I had already opened it, reefed on it hard enough to snap it)

Anyway, there was a 2015 sublime scat there, came in that morning, guy said "nah keep it" and ordered a Hellcat.

The new interior is pretty nice...nothing I would consider earth shattering though. Maybe even a little "too" modern for my liking. I have no complaints about my 2010 interior. Like it a lot.
Styling wise I almost think my SRT looks smaller beside one of the new scats. It sits lower of course so its probably just an optical illusion. Mine just looks meaner for some reason. I like my front grill better.as well.

Engine? Thats a tough one...I really do like the 6.1, especially for what it DOESNT have....would I miss the extra HP of the scat? Dunno...maybe...425 seems pretty good to me...425 or 475+ both have to be driven with respect especially with a 6m.

I almost bought it as the sales manager was out like a shot when he saw me taking pictures of it. Would have been another 20 grand on top of what I just paid for the SRT8 but the manager was willing to give me every nickel of what I paid for my car which was 32 grand CDN (26k US)...I think I got a good deal btw...every option and 14000 miles.

So my answer is NO, I dont get tired of hearing about the new ones. More power to the folks that have them.

#25 · (Edited)
No, I'm not tired of hearing about the 2015 Challenger. Hellcat, yes, but the 2015's in general, no. Glad to see Mopar on top for a change. After all, when you consider the whole package, the Camaro and Mustang cannot touch the Challenger. The front and rear on the '15 have grown on me. I think they screwed up by not making the hood scoops more contoured like the original. The new ones are too sharp edged. I still can't see how the interior is retro as people say. Maybe for a 1973 Chevelle but not a 1971 Challenger. The console is more retro but not the dash. Personally for me the fewer electronic gadgets the better. I'm not looking for a carnival attraction when I get in my car, I just want to drive. So I wasn't interested in the '15........until B5 comes out. I will have to reassess and see if I can find a bare bones one and then see how the ride compares to the '14. Hopefully the seat will be more comfy.

Yo, BlkBaseSE, you feeling the love?

#30 · (Edited)
I'm a Mopar guy so I enjoy the hype the new ones are getting,especially the Hellcat,or the Viper, it shows commitment to performance,and their desire for being the top dog.Hopefully they will get into the road course game with the Challenger.I have no desire for this form of performance,but I like to see the brand on top of the game.
As far as styling, I still prefer the 14 under,just as I prefer my old 70 over the 71 up.The 15s are very good looking cars though,and I can understand someone choosing one.Just really don't care for the modern looking dash, prefer the simplicity of previous years.But this is good because now I don't feel the need to rush out and get the new modlel.
As far as performance,15HP,8spd,We can race any day!!The outcome will be in the driver one way or the other.
But if someone is into all the new tech, 15 is the way to go.
All this means nothing to me when it comes to the Hellcat.If it has 700hp, it could be pink with polka dots and I would drive it.
And even though I prefer the Challenger styling,If I were to go the Hellcat route,it may be the Charger for the performance advantage.
4 doors and all.

There's no better or worse,,just difference and preference..

#31 ·
Never understood how anyone says these cars were old or tired, the whole appeal to them is they are RETRO, an icon from decades ago, if they change the looks enough they will be like the charger, just a re-used model name.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.