Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2012 Challenger RT or 2013 Mustang GT Questions???

53K views 50 replies 33 participants last post by  STINGRAY 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I own a 2011 Challenger SE v6 and really want to upgrade to a v8.

So here are my options:

Upgrade to a base 2012 Challenger RT or buy a 2013 mustang GT.

I really like the challenger for its retro look, but the performance in the mustang looks a lot better for the same price.

Which is the better option?

Also, if I were to get the Challenger RT what is the standard rear end that it comes with?

#2 ·
I recently drove a brand new Mustang GT and really liked it a lot...the 5.0 is pretty advanced motor and for the first time I LIKED a Mustang and would CONSIDER it...the 5.0 has a distinct sound I like now as well.

But all things considered I would but a Challenger again facing the same choice. Just the look and the roomy interior...Hemi power and sound...styling...

So, if we are strictly comparing Challenger RT to Mustang GT then I would do Challenger. If we include the GT500 vs the SRT (untunable) then would be a VERY tough call...

#3 ·
It is like asking: would you like a beautiful and unique car or having one of too many built cars? Knowing where your car is parked or guessing which one is mine???
I prefer a Challenger for sure, even if it was 2008. :bigthumb:

#4 ·
if performance for the buck is what matters to you then the Mustang wins all day long

The Mustang looks decent....2013 gives it the Shelby hood and slightly different headlights

you dont see many 5.0's, so you'd stand out a bit.......but the Challenger will stand out more

they really arent the same type of car...ones a large retro muscle car, while the Mustang is a small pony car with a couple retro stylings...

it all depends on what your after.....

#5 ·
What he said ++2

#6 ·
When we were looking for a new car over the last 6 months or so, we test drove multiple options, including the Camaro, Mustang and Challenger. Admittedly, the Mustang had the performance numbers, but sitting in one was an almost unpleasant experience. My first new car was a 1990 Mustang that had a lot of annoying issues. I thought "surely in the last 22 years Ford has corrected these things." I was wrong. The doors are still right up against you in either seat. The hood sits so incredibly tall that it's very difficult to see. The lower dash is still very, very close to your shins.

The Camaro was better, but the roof was so low that my head was almost touching.

Just to note, I am 6 feet tall and 190 lbs, neither overly tall or wide, and both of these cars were uncomfortable to me. I can't imagine how anyone taller or heavier would enjoy owning and driver either one of the other options. The Challenger was comfortable and plenty powerful. If I want to go fast, I'll hop on my RSV4, which is fast in a way that makes the three cars seem like molasses.

Seriously, unless you're going to be racing, either street or track, pick the one that you like the most. Personally, my wife and I loved the look of the Challenger and it simply drives the best, while still being a pleasant, and thoroughly enjoyable experience to drive.

#7 ·
I really wanted a new Challenger R/T but the one thing I hated was how plain the interior was compared to the Mustang and the Camaro. In the end I went with a Mustang GT and have no regrets, For style both cars have it but for performance the Mustang its smaller and lighter and more hp.

#9 ·
The R/T beats the 5.0 in the looks, interior room/comfort, and trunk space category.
5.0 beats the R/T in the other categories.
My advice...unless you're way ahead in your payments...keep and pay off your SXT before trading

#11 · (Edited)
If you want to make mods to the engine, then buy the Mustang. With readily available tune, you can run mid 12's or better compared to the limited-to-stock tuning on the R/T that keeps you in the mid 13's. That is a big performance difference.

If you don't intend to ever add power to the stock engine, then you need to ask how much performance do you need? Unless you are going to the track or are a street racer, how much does that matter to you? The Challenger will be a nicer car the 99.9% of the time when you aren't at WOT.

#13 ·
I agree with the posts above. I bought an R/T because it's bigger, better looking, and more comfortable than the other two.

To me the Challenger is a more a muscle car than a pure sports car. That has it's advantages when you go shopping, or for a long drive.

#14 ·
both are great cars, I traded my V6 300 for a Challenger RT and my room mate got a 2011 5.0 Stang the same year.

Theyre both plenty fast, the stang obviously a bit faster but he never flys by me like im standing still, he slowly gets ahead of me.

All the speed in the world isnt fun once you get enough speeding tickets that you only drive slightly above the speed limit

#15 ·
if you want to simply go fast as **** and pummel all kinds of higher powered vehicles, get the 13 5.0

buddy has a 13 5.0 in Dallas that ran an 11.98 in 1900DA with Bama Tune, 3" x-pipe/catback, intake and DR's......

car had 800 miles on it.....automatic.....

if you want all the other things like room, looks, "retro styling" and don't mind getting crushed by 5.0's all day, get the R/T.....

#18 · (Edited)
if you want all the other things like room, looks, "retro styling" and don't mind getting crushed by 5.0's all day, get the R/T.....
But the thing is, in order to get "crushed all day by 5.0's" you have to be racing all day. I have never in my life driven a car at a drag strip...don't particularly plan on starting either.

So if speed is ALL you care about, and this car is going to be ran at the track the 5.0 makes sense.

But for me, when I am purchasing a car performance is only part of the equation.

#16 ·
If you want a manual transmission, stay away from the Mustang 5.0. They have a cheap 6-speed that isn't even rated to handle the stock torque levels, let alone mods. The Challenger has an excellent and rugged Tremec 6-speed. To get the Tremec in a Mustang, you have to go all the way up to the GT500. Even the Boss 302 is stuck with a weak manual transmission.

#17 ·
Agreed on many of the points above. I would only offer an alternative criteria to break a tie...if you have a strong preference for a smaller car or larger car, based on your previous vehicles. The Mustang is definitely a tighter, smaller car for dynamic manuevers, while the Challenger definitely drives like a larger car with lots of elbow room and generous trunk space. They're otherwise both sporty cars with pleasing v8 power.

#22 ·
This is very simple, provided you can think for yourself, don't care what others think and could care less how many are or are not on the road. Go test drive each, maybe a couple of times. Drive cars with different performance options. Ask yourself what is more important to you: Performance, speed, comfort, size, handling - whatever your criteria are. Do some homework and study each car. Then buy what YOU like. Going onto a Challenger or Mustang website is not likely to get you many unbiased opinions.

There are several known facts about each car that are not disputable such as the Mustang GT 5.0 being faster and the Challenger being roomier. The more you learn on your own, the better off you will be and I think you will also be happier with your purchase. Unless you have specific questions about each car, I recommend you don't ask "general" questions on car forums - it's a waste of time.

#23 ·
If you want to be like everybody on the road get a Mustang. If you want any sort of uniqueness Challenger all the way.

#24 ·
Go Challenger go!!!
If you have an SXT, keep it until you have extra money in your pocket then move to a bigger Challenger.

#27 ·
I have seen this question a dozen times. Here is my worthless .02 on the subject. Number one question, what do you want out of the car? Younger guys tend to favor the Mustang, while older guys, like me (36), tend to favor style and practicality.

Mustang Highs:

Performance
Mod-ability
Lighter Car (easier to get into the 11s, 10s and so on)
Slight Price Advantage

Mustang Lows:

Looks
Small Interior
Small Trunk
Harsher Ride

Challenger Highs:

Sexy, Slick, Timeless Looks
Roomy Interior
Large Spacious Trunk
Comfortable Ride

Challenger Lows:

Heavy, Heavy and Heavy
Price Disadvantage
Less Performance
Mod Phobia (2011 - Present)

#28 ·
Get a Mustang, that way the rest of us can enjoy the relative exclusivity of our Challengers...

I kid, I kid; but seriously, the Mustang is a great car for the money, it's just so mundane and common. There are way too many, which says something about their value, but nothing about their style.

#29 ·
Go to a few ford dealers and see some mustang GT demos. Ask them to show you the average fuel economy numbers. I just went thought this. The highest mustang avg fuel economy that I saw was 12 mpg. I had read about guys on this site actually getting over 20 mpg with their challengers. I bought the RT, it is by far a more comfortable, ultimate cruising car. Bought it out of state, on the 100 mile ride home I averaged 30.0 mpg, better than my wife got in our Mazda 6. The reality is how often is a second or 2 in the quarter mile really going to be important? I'm thrilled with the Challenger, it is a blast to drive, sounds great and is seriously comfortable. An added bonus is you will only be spending half on gas.

#30 · (Edited)
The highest mustang avg fuel economy that I saw was 12 mpg. I had read about guys on this site actually getting over 20 mpg with their challengers.

An added bonus is you will only be spending half on gas.
completely false.

Mustang 5.0 gets better fuel mileage than the 5.0, simply based on the fact that the 5.0 Coyote runs flawlessly on 87 octane AND the fact that the Mustang doesn't weigh as much as a pontoon boat.....

plus, i pitty the person that is on the fence of purchasing a muscle car based on fuel economy......

#32 ·
I can't help but wonder how many Mustang "haters" here have even sat in a new Mustang. Say what you will, I for one am glad we have the Mustang, Camaro Challenger and Charger out there, it's fun to have the old muscle rivalry back, but I don't like having the slowest muscle car of the four, even if it is the best looking (all bark and no bite). I love my Challenger but would consider the 2013 GT500. It's not quite as comfortable as my Challenger but with 668 hp, who needs mods? I have spent about $5,000 in mods so far (tires, wheels, SRT shorty's/mids, dynotune, CAI, Corsa catback and a few other goodies) and will have to spend about another $12,000 to get the car where I want it (SC, Driveshaft, Quaife rear diff, 3.55 Richmond gears and half-shafts).

All this for around 500whp, which would be plenty for me (maybe, could end up installing a forged engine). Doesn't matter, I love the Challenger, however, might sell it for a 2013 SRT if they bring back PCP. Anyways, the new Mustang is a great car, it just depends on what you're looking for and what's important to you. The Camaro is nice as well but it just looks "confused" to me.

Challenger Beast, buy what you want and be happy with it. If you let others talk you into something for whatever reason and it's not what you really want, you will never be happy with your car.

#38 ·
I can't help but wonder how many Mustang "haters" here have even sat in a new Mustang.
Good point. Me being one of those haters, I have not.

And for the record it's not really that I hate the Mustang itself, just the majority of its owners. There are just waaaaaay too many on the road and 90% are 6-cyl driven by someone who has no passion for cars. And the GT which is most predominant for 20yrs old males (aka punk-ass kids). Hand ****ed sideways on the wheel, hat backwards, trying to stare people down as they drive by as if there a bad-ass. You know the type.

There is a very small % that are enthusiasts and when I see one on the road I still give them the respect wave, but unfortunately it's very very rare.

#34 ·
I aslo faced the same issue you are, had a 2010 V6, did something's to it, but always wanted more power.

Really had thought's about leaving the dodge world and go camero or mustange......
I went and got a base RT plently of speed and way more options then my 2010.

But honstly any normal day i drive i sew a ton of mustange's alot of cameros, and your lucky to spot 1 challenger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.