Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2015 SRT Hyper Black Rims Repairable???

13K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  SWFish 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so I was hearing a clicking sound coming from my front wheels when turning sharply while parking and after doing some investigating it sounded like it was coming from the brembos. Seeing how I only have 2500miles on it I didnt want to mess anything up by jacking with it myself so took it into the dealership to have it looked at. Right off the bat i told them I didnt want my car to leave the lot and told them it could be replicated by just parking the car and they agreed to no drive it. After 2.5 hours i finally get my car back and they said that there was a bolt on both front calipers that needed to be torqued down and that did resolve the issue. I drove off the lot and immediately decided to do a quick walk around and discovered both front rims dinged up from the wheels being removed. So the insides and around the top edges where the lug nuts are the wheels are all scuffed up as well as a few other spots on the face of my rim where it looks like the dude was practicing for a pit crew and just missed the lugnut altogether. These areas are more small gouges then scuffs of the finish. After getting the service manager involved he said his bodyshop could fix them up with no problem so I am scheduled to take it in on monday to drop it off.

Question, what are these rims made out of and can they be repaired? The damage isnt that bad to be honest but I clean those suckers at least once a week so I want them pristine and in the same shape as when i took it in. Sorry for the rambling, i just dread going to the dealership for anything.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Make them replace them , it's that simple, they know they removed and reinstalled them.
They also have rim repair companies come to them weekly, I wouldn't have a body shop touch them.
Personally I'd demand new wheels.

#5 · (Edited)
Just wait until you change tires. Unless you find a good touch less changer, they are gonna get nicked. Dark wheels are impossible to keep 100% pristine. I feel the same way you do, but I have come to the realization that if I can keep them looking new from a few feet away... then I'm doing good.

I've gotten really good with matte touch up paint of the WRT wheels and I have fixed a few small chips on my WRT wheels. The lug barrels are REALLY tight and just about any impact socket will leave "slide" marks. However, actual gouges are not excusable.

My Gorillas lug are locking on every lug.. so no one will remove my wheels without my permission. I did have my car in the dealership yesterday for the TCM reprogramming and they changed my oil without my permission. I would be getting some reimbursement if they didn't use the same oil I do (Pennzoil 0w40). They did take off my $12 Royal Purple filter though.. that only had 1,700 miles on it. I am seriously thinking about billing them for the filter.

I hate dealers. My Scat Pack will see one as little as possible... hopefully NEVER again.

A good touch up guy can fix a wheel to perfection. Replacing the wheels is probably extreme, as they will get nicked again.. eventually. Just remember who did the repair work on the wheels and keep his number handy.

#8 ·
Just wait until you change tires. Unless you find a good touch less changer, they are gonna get nicked. Dark wheels are impossible to keep 100% pristine. I feel the same way you do, but I have come to the realization that if I can keep them looking new from a few feet away... then I'm doing good.

I've gotten really good with matte touch up paint of the WRT wheels and I have fixed a few small chips on my WRT wheels. The lug barrels are REALLY tight and just about any impact socket will leave "slide" marks. However, actual gouges are not excusable.

My Gorillas lug are locking on every lug.. so no one will remove my wheels without my permission. I did have my car in the dealership yesterday for the TCM reprogramming and they changed my oil without my permission. I would be getting some reimbursement if they didn't use the same oil I do (Pennzoil 0w40). They did take off my $12 Royal Purple filter though.. that only had 1,700 miles on it. I am seriously thinking about billing them for the filter.

I hate dealers. My Scat Pack will see one as little as possible... hopefully NEVER again.

A good touch up guy can fix a wheel to perfection. Replacing the wheels is probably extreme, as they will get nicked again.. eventually. Just remember who did the repair work on the wheels and keep his number handy.
Pep Boys and other stores sell thin wall sockets with a nylon sleeve which leave zero marks on the rims. Best $20 you'll ever spend, if I went and needed my wheels pulled by someone else I'd give it to them and make sure they use and return it.

#6 ·
Absolutely need a touch less changer. I caught a nail in mine and had to have the tire removed to patch it. I took it to a tire shop that I know has the proper equipment. I would hold the dealer responsible.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Madcoder
#7 ·
Sorry about this...i am anal about my car and just hate people that dont respect others people property....

no manners...my parents tougth me not to touch/destroy others people property..and i have...

i will have them do the touch up so they see u are cooperating..and once you see the results and if dont like it demand for new ones...after all was their fault and its almost a 50k car...

good luck

#10 ·
This is what I was thinking all along, funny thing is is that the first thing that came out of my mouth when I dropped my car off was "sorry but I am going to be a bit anal" :grin2:

Hopefully I am blowing this whole thing out of proportion and it will be fixed just like brand new. I will give an update Monday and maybe i can get some good shots of the scuffs to post before and after photos.

#13 ·
Don't ***** too much on the dealer. Dodge designed a pretty wheel that cannot be changed without nicking it. Or, Dodge didn't train their mechanics to do the job properly or give them tools they need. Either way, this one's on corporate.

#15 ·
OR, the techs just don't care since it's just a car and the poor guys are under paid, boo hoo.
Take the wheels off by hand like my local tire shop does and use a socket with a liner. My pickup just got its second set of tires and they too are a tight fit for a wrench and are blemish free.
The dealers guy did it so why complain to corporate? Have the dealer get a proper wheel repair guy or replace the wheels.

#14 ·
I just wanted to comment on the OP's remark about the clicking sound from the front wheels while turning at full lock... I hear it on mine too...

But now I'm wondering if I should even bother to take it in. Is the sound still happening after you got it fixed?

#17 ·
The clicking sound was resolved but after reading this please read my next post as well. Here is exactly what was written up by the tech on the work order verbatim.

"CAUSE TO BE BOTH FRONT ROTORS THE BOLTS ON THE ROTORS WHERE LOOSE CAUSING THE CLICKING SOUND , NEED TO RESUCRE BOLTS TECH REMOVE BOTH WHEELS , REMOVE BOTH CALIPER AND REMOVE BOTH ROTORS TECH RESUCURE THE BOLTS ON THNE ROTORS AND RETORQUE ALL SUSPENSION BOLTS ON THE FRONT SUSPENSION TEST DROVE VEHICLE AFTER , NO MORE CLICKING NOISE NEED 00TIME"

Reactions: wierling
#18 ·
Requesting new Calipers now

So i just detailed my car to go over the current condition and found that the front brembos are gouged and chipped. I dont think that these are repairable as they seem to be coated with a rubber shell. I am attaching picks of that as well as the rims but it was very hard taking pictures because how shiny they are. Note: the one pic with the chip on the curve of the lugnut hole is pretty much present on most of the holes.

Attachments

#25 ·
So i just detailed my car to go over the current condition and found that the front brembos are gouged and chipped. I dont think that these are repairable as they seem to be coated with a rubber shell. I am attaching picks of that as well as the rims but it was very hard taking pictures because how shiny they are. Note: the one pic with the chip on the curve of the lugnut hole is pretty much present on most of the holes.
I would be very pissed if that happened to mine. I would never use that dealer again. Hope they make it right!

#20 ·
I had my dealer, All-Star Dodge in St. Louis, rotate the wheels last week (at 4000 miles), along with changing the oil. Absolutely no marks on the wheels. I am sure mounting tires is more difficult, but no excuse for damage in rotating wheels.

#26 ·
Just got back from the dealership and I think I am on the road to recovery now. I took my car over to the bodyshop with the service manager and met with the Bodyshop manager. He looked at my calipers and explained how that would be an easy job for him to repair and repaint. The rims on the other hand he said that they were going to ship them out to be stripped, repaired and then refinished and it would take a few days. I am not comfortable with my car just sitting out on blocks in a bodyshop lot so he said they were going to put it on a lift, bag it and then jack it up to be stored. Although I got a little heated with the service manager over the calipers after he said road debris or the wheel weights did the damage and not the technician performing the service I think it will all turn out ok. I am scheduled to take it in for the work to be performed in 2 weeks after Easter and spring break.

#28 ·
Question, what are these rims made out of and can they be repaired? The damage isnt that bad to be honest but I clean those suckers at least once a week so I want them pristine and in the same shape as when i took it in. Sorry for the rambling, i just dread going to the dealership for anything.[/QUOTE]

The hyperblack coating is called PVD it cannot be spot repaired at all, a bodyshop is going to mix up some color and tint it till it is close then use a touch up gun or airbrush to do a quick fix, this will look good for a couple weeks but brake dust and normal cleaning will put you right back where you started. I would demand new wheels and if anyone is going to damage it it should only be you, It's been an ongoing joke that when you buy a dodge put a Lawyer on retainer, I'm thinking it's no Joke just good advise.

#30 ·
Question, what are these rims made out of and can they be repaired? The damage isnt that bad to be honest but I clean those suckers at least once a week so I want them pristine and in the same shape as when i took it in. Sorry for the rambling, i just dread going to the dealership for anything.
The hyperblack coating is called PVD it cannot be spot repaired at all, a bodyshop is going to mix up some color and tint it till it is close then use a touch up gun or airbrush to do a quick fix, this will look good for a couple weeks but brake dust and normal cleaning will put you right back where you started. I would demand new wheels and if anyone is going to damage it it should only be you, It's been an ongoing joke that when you buy a dodge put a Lawyer on retainer, I'm thinking it's no Joke just good advise.[/QUOTE]

A good wheel repair shop can fix them without much trouble. I've found regular body shops aren't the best when it comes to fixing wheels. I accidentally curbed one of my SRT hyperblacks recently. :headbang: Damage wasn't too bad, but really sucks nonetheless. A body shop through the dealer my wife works at didn't think it could be fixed very well. So, I called this wheel repair shop that I'd used once before and they sent a van to my house and repaired it in about 45 minutes. They matched the finish and repaired the metal perfect and I couldn't even tell where the damage used to be. Although, granted, if it wasn't my screw up, I'd probably want a new wheel(s).

#32 ·
Wheels:
Picked up my car yesterday and now my Hyper Black rims are pewter :surprise:. I know I am not crazy because the wife even noticed the light color before i even said anything. Damage is still somewhat noticeable under the new coat and there is an orange peel feel to the entire surface except the face which is smooth. There wasnt another SRT at the dealership for me to compare with but I am almost 100% positive the entire surface was smooth. I am going to the SRT track day in Fontana tomorrow the 18th so I will have to take some comparison photos of my car with another SRT. Body shop guy was great and said he would keep redoing them until they came out right and would even do any color i want (hmmm, Hellcat Black???) but not sure what I want to do yet.

Brembo Calipers:
Divots are still there. They said for the price of repair all they could do was touch them up since it has that rubberized coating on them and that if they were to tear it down to do a better job that just replacing them all together would be cheaper. So I spoke to the Service managers boss and they are still denying that they did the damage and that some rock happened to damage both calipers in the same exact spots with no damage to any other part of the car :notallthere:. So we are still playing the "game" until I get new calipers.

Attachments

#33 ·
You are correct in that there should be no orange-peel effect or hints at where damage was. One of mine was curbed and it was fixed so well by a wheel repair shop, that I looked it over for a few minutes close-up and could not tell where it was damaged. If it were me, I'd make them take it to a special wheel shop that knows what they're doing and not someone just willing to keep screwing around until you deem it acceptable. Or maybe just get you a new wheel(s). Especially if you are having an issue with the colors not matching. Sucks they dinged your brembos too. Amateurs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.