Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2017 Go Mango SPS is here, is awesome

9K views 33 replies 27 participants last post by  skip62 
#1 ·
I wanted to take a minute to thank everyone on the forum for all the great info I've learned over the past few months since I became a member, especially Slidd, Hal and all the rest of you who are such fonts of information. After a lot of research and a couple months of painful waiting around, my factory-ordered 2017 Go Mango Scat Pack Shaker finally showed up right before Thanksgiving. It's everything I hoped it would be and more, just an absolute beast of a machine. WOT shifts in sport mode are enough to cause my dashcam to shift position on its mount, haha. I'm especially happy I waited for 2017 to get Apple CarPlay because it's really been a big help. Overall it's really just the complete old-school muscle car package.

Last week I had 3M Xpel film installed on the entire front fascia, hood, fenders, A-pillars, mirrors, door edges and rear bumper. The same shop also installed Yellow Jacket style side stripes that I got from Pro Motor on eBay, which turned out fantastic. I think it helps break up the huge sidewall of color, plus the pointed design of the Yellow Jacket stripes lends a sense of momentum to the car even when she's at rest. Combined with the shaker stripes I think it's the perfect amount of contrast.

The break-in period is almost over now, she's performed great the whole way and doesn't appear to have used excessive amounts of oil. If I had to lodge a complaint, it's that the Brembos are squeaking pretty bad (which is a known problem I read about) but I may try a proper bed-in procedure to see if that helps. Not sure how long the tires will last...I ended up with Eagle F1s despite ordering the RSA-2s, but I almost don't care either way because I'm putting 275s on her as soon as these are done.

Here are some pics of her. Sorry about the ugly pole in the last few shots...I parked in the corner not intending to take pictures, but when I got out of the car I was struck by her beauty and had to photograph her...but then, you all know how it is! I'm calling her Tigress...of course once my son heard that, he took his stuffed Tigger and threw him in the back window to show off... :D

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Congratulations! That looks beautiful. I'm happy for you :thumbsup:

A Guy

#9 ·
Sweet looking!! One question: Im thinking of doing the 3M wrap as you did to help out with the road chit hitting the car especially the bugs in the summer. What did it cost you? I have a good friend who does graphics for a living.

#25 ·
I had the same thought -- after the road rash I accumulated on the hood of my last car over the course of ten years, this was one mod I was definitely doing.

The shop I went to wrapped the hood, front fascia, headlight lenses, both front fenders, A-pillars, mirrors, door handle cups, door edges and the top of the rear bumper (luggage area) for $1,500. They also threw in the installation of the side stripes as a trade-off for the large cutout we had to make around the shaker. For that part of the hood, they did a custom cut around the shaker and the entire striped portion, since covering the matte black stripes with Xpel would have made them look glossy. Here's a mock-up that shows the part they cut out:

Overall I was very happy with the result, and even more happy with how this is going to protect the paint long-term.

#11 ·
I really like that body stripe, the way the filler fades going forward; very nice!

#14 ·
Nice car! I was surprised how well those side stripes worked in addtion to the certer shaker stripes. When I first read you had them added I wasn't sure intil I scrolled down and saw the pic. What interior did you end up with? Suede?

#15 ·
I wanted to take a minute to thank everyone on the forum for all the great info I've learned over the past few months since I became a member, especially Slidd, Hal and all the rest of you who are such fonts of information. After a lot of research and a couple months of painful waiting around, my factory-ordered 2017 Go Mango Scat Pack Shaker finally showed up right before Thanksgiving. It's everything I hoped it would be and more, just an absolute beast of a machine. WOT shifts in sport mode are enough to cause my dashcam to shift position on its mount, haha. I'm especially happy I waited for 2017 to get Apple CarPlay because it's really been a big help. Overall it's really just the complete old-school muscle car package.

I'm calling her Tigress...of course once my son heard that, he took his stuffed Tigger and threw him in the back window to show off...
Bandit - enjoy the SPS - great color as well. I used to have a Hemi Orange '09 and I like Go Mango even more. Now have Torred SPS - but I've owned red cars continuously for 25 years...

Great story with your son! - just like your past, you have a connection with the T/As and your father...

I always like the '78 / '79 Trans Ams - my brother owned a '78 400 / 4-speed T-top and one of my friends had a another '78 400 / 4-speed that he ordered new back in the day and had the car for 10 years until he sold it.

If I had the means I'd love to have a '72 T/A (favorite year for nose / grille) and a '78 along with the '79. If I had my "way" I'd have the '78 front end with the '79 tail. Those neutral density tail lights looked great on those cars.

Remember them as brand new and for new offerings, the 'Vette and the T/A were the top choices, but I didn't have the budget back then to get one of those as new...

Enjoy the ride...

#16 ·
That's the one I would get if I could order a new one! BTW, did they remove the suede seat option for 2017 appearance group? I like the premium leather better personally......

#18 ·
The '17 SP Shakers have the Alcantara / leather trim seats with SP Bee logo as standard.
two colors offered - all Black or Black / Ruby Red (depending on paint color selected)

SP Appearance Grp is still avail, on an SPS it adds:
*tail stripe (subs out Shaker stripes)
*SP Bee animation in IP cluster
*and if not optioned with Driver Convenience Grp - adds HID headlights in SPAG option
*Hectic Mesh int. trim bezels

the leather Shaker seats are discontinued for '17 models.

Shakers already have standard:
*heated steering wheel
*power tilt / telescope steering wheel
*heated / vented seats
*gloss black grille inserts
*satin black fuel door

#19 ·
Thanks Hal H. For me, the power tilt/tele wheel is such a waste - I set it the first time I get in the car and there it stays forever.

Bandit - love to see the interior as well.......

#20 ·
I used to think it that feature might be superfluous - but I like the fine adjustment it allows.
And I can adjust it on the fly driving (I have 6-speed, so right hand is tasked with shifting at times). The manual tilt / tele will drop out of position if you unlock it w/o holding the wheel...so you have to do that at a stop and maybe get it where you want it, or try again.

Much like the power seat - fine adjustments over the click/detent of manual setups. One day the Challenger might have memory seat / wheel settings (Chrysler 300 has this). I have multiple adjustments on my other car's memory depending if I'm wearing big boots (taller heel / sole) and another setting for easier exit if parked in spaces where I can't swing the door open as much...

#24 · (Edited)
Thanks everybody! Yeah I've been derelict in getting any interior pictures. Between my job and the weather, I haven't had many opportunities for decent pics. I just took a few quick interior shots with my phone camera in the garage.

The standard interior on the 2017+ SPS is the suede/leather combo with embroidered Super Bee logos. You could get this on an SPS in previous years only by ordering the Scat Pack Appearance Group. That group no longer changes the seats. In fact, on an SPS, SPAG doesn't give you the Hectic Mesh bezels and bright silver trim anymore either. Scat Pack Shakers always retain the Dark Brushed II bezels and black accents now.

All Scat Packs in 2017 come with the graduated vertical bolster design on the door panels, which previously were specific to the shakers cars without SPAG. Confused yet?? :D

For those interested in CarPlay, I just recorded a demo of the system which I'll edit down and throw on YouTube here soon. Overall, the fourth-gen Uconnect system is vastly more responsive than prior generations, with the slightest touch resulting in input, and swipe gestures now available to scroll through screens or lists. CarPlay is like the icing on the cake.

Attachments

#26 ·
Very Sharp Car! Looking to do the same in the RT Shaker, stripe delete, no sunroof. Was thinking of adding the yellow jacket side stripe or wider belt line stripe. Yours is the first photo I have seen of a Shaker with a side stripe. I also see you have the sensor in the lower front grille. That front shot is Killer! Cool Ride!

#28 ·
Thanks for the interior shots. Too bad the Napa Leather is no longer an option for those who want it, but those Alcantara seats look good too, and they are grippier to your butt than the leather.

#29 · (Edited)
Those seats are nice, but I agree with FlyingMonkey that it was nice having the choice. The Nappa Leather definitely had that retro look to it for those who wanted it... too bad its gone. I kinda liked the hectic mesh as well although you had to order the SPAG to get it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.