392 IAT (long) sensor virtually cured my heat soak issue - Page 5 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#41 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 12:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wow i cannot believe i only just found this thread i am going to do the mod and see if it will help with my 09 challenger pulling hard under boost in very hot as well as cold conditions
procharger 7lbs of boost 6.1 liter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#42 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,105 Times in 759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny32 View Post
wow i cannot believe i only just found this thread i am going to do the mod and see if it will help with my 09 challenger pulling hard under boost in very hot as well as cold conditions
procharger 7lbs of boost 6.1 liter
You'll need the adapter cable (gray connector) to use the '11+ style IAT. The '08-'10 SRT 6.1s have the black connector.

One of the members on the forum made adapter cables to allow the mod.

2009 R/T 27J pkg (6 speed MT) ordered 7/17/08, built 10/23/08, home on 11/13/08

Eibach Sportline Suspension
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Nitto 555 Extreme 265/50-18"
392 Cam / DS CMR tune
Hurst /G&K modded short-throw shifter
Black gauge faces, lighted needles
#43 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 11:21 AM

quick question guys is the sensor suppose to push into the grommet past the o ring seal or should i stop pushing once o ring touches grommet only reason i ask is because o ring keeps trying to squeeze out of seat every time i try to push it through grommet
#44 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 11:50 AM

thanks guys figured out put a little oil lube on that puppy and it slid right in
#45 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
thanks guys figured out put a little oil lube on that puppy and it slid right in
Did you install this on the 6.1l? I really want to get this on the 6.1l! Help anyone? Also do you really need the adapter? If so who exactly makes them here?

Last edited by Rpaulg87; 12-23-2012 at 05:47 PM.
#46 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpaulg87 View Post
Did you install this on the 6.1l? I really want to get this on the 6.1l! Help anyone? Also do you really need the adapter? If so who exactly makes them here?
look up raymond he is the first guy that started this thread and i just recieved his . yes you need it i have a 2009 srt 8 six speed with pro charger running 7lbs of boost and i did my preliminary test today and this is what i found. i live in houston and it is hot most of the time almost year round here. today it was 76 degrees and kinda muggy. decent weather to try it in. one thing i have always noticed about my car was that it always seemed more fun to drive when it was colder outside versus when it was warm. Yesterday it was 35 degrees in the morning and it climbed to about a high of 58 degrees. With the old sensor in yesterday it drove like a beast like i was running 10lbs of boost. drove it most of the day and it drove well. however this only ever occurred in cool weather whenever the weather was say 73 degrees or warmer it would still drive ok but not pull as hard the rpm gauge would move up slower like something was holding it back . and if the ac was on well you really would have to kick the rpm up to about 1600 or so to really feel the supercharger kick in and start to pull. today it was 76 degrees so i thought it was a perfect day to test it with and without the ac on. put new sensor in and opened up the sunroof and away i went after about ten minutes my mouth almost hit the ground i could not believe it.. i did not get any more power or hp but what it did was stop the fade of the hp i already had. it kept on pulling hard pull after pull like it was 48 degrees outside like i was running more boost. after about 2 hours (had allot of places to stop of for the family ) i decided to cut the ac on and see if it would still drive the same ...and it did actually maybe a little better . My preliminary foundlings is that this sensor works and it is a kind of miracle. the real test will be in about may when it gets blistering hot here in houston to see if it can keep up the good results. In conclusion i always thought it was something a little more than just poor design and heat soak of the engine because my wife has a 2007 a4 quattro which is pretty nippy and fast and i swear that car drives exactly the same regardless of weather it is freezing outside or a hundred degrees . it does not pull harder in cold weather or hot weather it drives the same and that is all i ever wanted of the challenger and we might be on our way with this mod . time and the summer will really tell but i am pleased up to now and confident
#47 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpaulg87 View Post
look up raymond (raya zoo) he is the first guy that started this thread and i just recieved his . yes you need it i have a 2009 srt 8 six speed with pro charger running 7lbs of boost and i did my preliminary test today and this is what i found. i live in houston and it is hot most of the time almost year round here. today it was 76 degrees and kinda muggy. decent weather to try it in. one thing i have always noticed about my car was that it always seemed more fun to drive when it was colder outside versus when it was warm. Yesterday it was 35 degrees in the morning and it climbed to about a high of 58 degrees. With the old sensor in yesterday it drove like a beast like i was running 10lbs of boost. drove it most of the day and it drove well. however this only ever occurred in cool weather whenever the weather was say 73 degrees or warmer it would still drive ok but not pull as hard the rpm gauge would move up slower like something was holding it back . and if the ac was on well you really would have to kick the rpm up to about 1600 or so to really feel the supercharger kick in and start to pull. today it was 76 degrees so i thought it was a perfect day to test it with and without the ac on. put new sensor in and opened up the sunroof and away i went after about ten minutes my mouth almost hit the ground i could not believe it.. i did not get any more power or hp but what it did was stop the fade of the hp i already had. it kept on pulling hard pull after pull like it was 48 degrees outside like i was running more boost. after about 2 hours (had allot of places to stop of for the family ) i decided to cut the ac on and see if it would still drive the same ...and it did actually maybe a little better . My preliminary findings is that this sensor works and it is a kind of miracle. the real test will be in about may when it gets blistering hot here in houston to see if it can keep up the good results. In conclusion i always thought it was something a little more than just poor design and heat soak of the engine because my wife has a 2007 a4 quattro which is pretty nippy and fast and i swear that car drives exactly the same regardless of weather it is freezing outside or a hundred degrees . it does not pull harder in cold weather or hot weather it drives the same and that is all i ever wanted of the challenger and we might be on our way with this mod . time and the summer will really tell but i am pleased up to now and confident

Last edited by vinny32; 12-23-2012 at 06:15 PM.
#48 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
look up raymond (ray zoo) he is the first guy that started this thread and i just recieved his . yes you need it i have a 2009 srt 8 six speed with pro charger running 7lbs of boost and i did my preliminary test today and this is what i found. i live in houston and it is hot most of the time almost year round here. today it was 76 degrees and kinda muggy. decent weather to try it in. one thing i have always noticed about my car was that it always seemed more fun to drive when it was colder outside versus when it was warm. Yesterday it was 35 degrees in the morning and it climbed to about a high of 58 degrees. With the old sensor in yesterday it drove like a beast like i was running 10lbs of boost. drove it most of the day and it drove well. however this only ever occurred in cool weather whenever the weather was say 73 degrees or warmer it would still drive ok but not pull as hard the rpm gauge would move up slower like something was holding it back . and if the ac was on well you really would have to kick the rpm up to about 1600 or so to really feel the supercharger kick in and start to pull. today it was 76 degrees so i thought it was a perfect day to test it with and without the ac on. put new sensor in and opened up the sunroof and away i went after about ten minutes my mouth almost hit the ground i could not believe it.. i did not get any more power or hp but what it did was stop the fade of the hp i already had. it kept on pulling hard pull after pull like it was 48 degrees outside like i was running more boost. after about 2 hours (had allot of places to stop of for the family ) i decided to cut the ac on and see if it would still drive the same ...and it did actually maybe a little better . My preliminary foundlings is that this sensor works and it is a kind of miracle. the real test will be in about may when it gets blistering hot here in houston to see if it can keep up the good results. In conclusion i always thought it was something a little more than just poor design and heat soak of the engine because my wife has a 2007 a4 quattro which is pretty nippy and fast and i swear that car drives exactly the same regardless of weather it is freezing outside or a hundred degrees . it does not pull harder in cold weather or hot weather it drives the same and that is all i ever wanted of the challenger and we might be on our way with this mod . time and the summer will really tell but i am pleased up to now and confident
Exactly! This car feels SO slugish in warm air temps, or even when you drive it hard as it heat-soaks like mad! I'm hitting him up right now.
#49 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:17 PM

I may be missing it, but is there a link to the long IAT sensor? I just sent a order in for the adapter to rayzoo
#50 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush View Post
Thanks to the posts put up by mikeyChallenger Heat soak eats 20+ lb/ft of torque! and rayzazoo Mystery Grey IAT Sensor Connector - SOLVED!

My car is a dog in 85+ degree weather, esp with the A/C on, so I was really excited about trying the new 392 IAT sensor PN 05149279AB. It was $3.50 and plugged right into my gray connector and into my RoboFab air tube. Today was the real test as I go home for lunch, the car heat soaks, and I drive back in 90+ degree humid temps. The new sensor really made a difference I could feel. This is in the stock mounting location. Eventually I'll get the extension cable and relocate to the air box.

Thanks for the research guys as the heat soaking was one of my biggest complaints about the car. I can't wait to see if cooler weather performance is better as well.

(I wanted to put something with a "heat soak" subject in this section for exposure.)
^^^ There's the part number bro, from any dealer.

First 09 sold in DFW, 08/30/08 BB-SE/G TRADED for Sickr PCP, 10 PCP R/T 6-Spd 7/5/10, Dream Since Teens! Mods; Mopar strutbrace, CAI, Borla ATAK, Custom Raptor SL, Moroso CC, SSE, Hurst w/70's mod, BR sequentials, Amber/Red sw/LEDs, Hotchkis Swys, r-Police/Spohn,R1 Slots/CentricPads-all, SXHood, DCS pins, Sickr rear/delete w/6x9s&12"sub, Boss 338s f 235/50/18, r 275/40/20ZR Motivos.
"TexasOutlawChallengers-ChallengerJam"
Studies show; PCP is highly ADDICTIVE in 6-speed form!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode