Dodge Challenger Forum banner

392 Only-Exhaust Change, Anyone????

30K views 62 replies 21 participants last post by  Currybob 
#1 ·
There are a few posts mixed among various threads about the exhaust note and what changes they are doing or would like to do. Thought I would try to get the info in one place for ease of viewing and maybe help each other out!

I do like the exhaust note but only wish it were the same volume when the valve is open and not just when under acceleration. I would like the idle and lower RPMs to sound just as good. Pulling the fuse on the active exhaust doesn't really work that well. Plus you get that check engine light. Guess I'm saying I'm looking for about 30-40% more volume at the lower RPMs/ at a reasonable cost.

On my 2014 RT Classic I had the muffler pulled and straight pipe installed and left the resonators and that was perfect!! I had no drone and only cost $60.

On this system the resonators are apparently nearly straight through with just one hole to address drone. I worry doing the muffler swap for straight pipes might make it to loud.

I am playing with the idea of taking to my muffler guy and trying it anyway. If I don't like it he can put it back for $60. I do have a pair of Corsa Extreme mufflers left over from the 14 Challenger but know if they are louder than the stock ones.

Hence the experimenting begins. If anyone else is out changing things out there thought it would be great to post what you did here and what your results were. This could help out some fellow members here and save some money!

I know many think it would be crazy to mess with this exhaust but some do desire a little more low RPM volume.

I will post my results when I get up the nerve and finish my research. Mean while let the bashing begin and hopefully some others will post useful information!!!:thumbsup:

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Changing the exhaust was the first thing I did on my '13. While I love the note of my '15 392, I could stand it to be a little louder at idle too. If you have a good shop that you trust, I say go for it. $60 is the cheapest change you'll ever have on this car. What's the worst that happens? Another $60 to reinstall the stock mufflers? GO FOR IT!

#6 ·
I don't have my car yet so I'm just putting this out there... Does the CEL come on as soon as the fuse is pulled or on next startup? If it is not thrown immediately you could wire up a simple switch to the fuse (as has been done on Corvettes and Camaros forever with active exhaust) and then you have complete control. Turn it off when you want, turn it back on before you shut the car off.

I'm wondering what the equivalent of the Sport button is on the SRT as far as active exhaust open all the time is. I've heard track mode but I'm hoping a particular setting being in track opens it up and if so I'll just make that my 'Custom' setting.

#7 ·
OK I've got the baddest sounding SRT around now!!:grin2:

I went and talked to my muffler guy today and he loves the new car. We put it up on the lift and I told him what I was think about doing. Told him I wanted it to sound like my 14 where we straight piped where the mufflers were.

He said lets try it (He was impressed with the underside of the car and the engineering). We started out by just doing one side let it down and fired her up. OMG!!!>:) It was great, went down the road-no drone and reminded me of the sound of the 14 RT(except lower tone). He said I could leave it with just one side if I wanted it to because of the X pipe but I said no I wanted both sides sounding that good.

While it was up we put a light on the exhaust valve and it looked just like someone on this site posted. It's just a round piece of metal with a hole in the center. It was in the open position while off. I should have tried to had gotten a picture of it but just got to carried away, not sure it would have showed up with the phone camera very well anyway. Did take one of the inside of the stock muffler and they are tiny. 12 inches long and pipe goes straight through with just a slight curve.

This sound is amazing and only cost $60, now she sounds fantastic at all the RPMs. You still have a hard time hearing the difference in the MDS switching in and out, it is no more than with the mufflers on.

I have listened to youtubes in the past and it is just not like real life. Can do a recording if someone wants it. I can try to figure out how to post that here for I never have done that before.

So got my tint, sound and just waiting on the mud flaps now.

Attachments

Reactions: Hasan and bwbike
#15 · (Edited)
. . . Did take one of the inside of the stock muffler and they are tiny. 12 inches long and pipe goes straight through with just a slight curve. . .

I knew it wouldn't be long before somebody cut off their mufflers. They are indeed straight through with perforations! Thanks for the picture.

It is a miracle Dodge was allowed to make cars with this exhaust. For those who want louder, removing the minimalist mufflers will do the trick.

(I like mine the way it is and am not changing anything).

#18 ·
Hemi and anyone else that wants to see and hear the video, PM me you email and I will send it to you or text to you phone. Can't add MPG4 on this forum.

Taz head it and said he will probably be doing the same!

#11 ·
I have a MP4 video, anyone know how we can post that on here?? Or I can email it to someone if they know how.

#13 ·
They have them at the dealer but waiting on the wheel replacement on the one that got damaged during shipment. Who knows how long that will take! Only want to make one trip for it's about 60 miles.

#16 ·
They have my mudflaps now but they had to order the right front wheel for it was damaged in shipping. We are waiting for that to come to do it all at once for they are about 60 miles from me.

Taz already has his, he said he left them on his desk at work. His car is close, he says he can feel her!

#20 ·
I love it and beauty of it is, if you didn't like it put it back for $60.

#21 ·
Not bad at all for $60 ! Sounds like a monster woke up. And it's not bad inside while driving? I have the zoomers exhaust now.. I wonder how much my neighbors would hate me if I did this :) (On my SP when I get it)

#22 · (Edited)
I spent $1200 on the Corsa extreme system for my 14 (Reminds me of the current stock system) and liked it and all but it just was not quite loud enough at idle and lower RPMs. I said I was going to try one more thing and that was to straight pipe where the mufflers were and that was dead on!

So this time I was able to saved my self a lot of money!! LOL

I just wish there was a way ya'll could here it in real life, it's impressive without being gaudy.

#26 ·
I've uploaded it to youtube, as as soon as it's done processing, I'll link it.

*Edit* Here it is

ps - I forgot how to post the video here in the thread.. any tips?
Dang Jason, If I had know it was going to go viro I would have worked a little harder on the production. If I do another one can you replace the old one??

Good job!!

#24 ·
Sounds pretty good. I'm just going to keep mine the way it is though. By the time I get long tubes put on and a different cam, she'll sound BA.

#25 ·
Has anyone had a chance to put the full exhaust system on a scale to see how much it weighs vs a 2014 aftermarket system?

I'm kinda curious how much heavier stock is

#27 ·
The size of the mufflers and resonators are both very small and therefore would not weigh much. Don't think you would gain any weight lose with an aftermarket.

#33 ·
I like it a lot and it sounds good through the whole RPM range. doesn't keep you from listening to music or talking while inside the car either. I plan on doing a better video when I have my wife to help me and will record from the back and give it some revs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDPDcQgPrWo&feature=youtu.be

#36 ·
I'm sure folks on here want to see (hear) a video while you're driving. Like as in how loud is it when you are right around 2,000 rpm?

#35 · (Edited)
Do you feel anything negative when the MDS kicks in? That's the part that I'd be afraid of when modifying an exhaust. Drone would also be a major factor, but it doesn't sound like that's an issue, or I'm sure you'd mention it.

#37 ·
You of course you hear it in the car but not as annoying drone. I will do a video while driving and one behind the car reeving it some and may even try and get some help and do a drive by, but of course the only way to truly tell is to hear it in person.

I will do my best to reflect it as accurately as possible. I just wanted to share with the group for those who like the sound but wish is was louder at idle and lower RPMs. Wide open is not as big a difference than stock. After all stock wide open is great actually. The price was just so little to get greater amazing sound felt I had to share.

Will work on this tomorrow and get to NJRide who did a great job putting it on youtube.

#39 ·
I recorded with a note 4 phone you think an I Pad would be better??

#41 ·
I think the problem came when I had to e-mail it to my PC. It compressed it due to size. I have a digital camera somewhere that I may try that I can download straight to the PC, may look at that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.