5.o Mustang GT owner possibly going to Chally RT - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 07:14 AM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5.o Mustang GT owner possibly going to Chally RT

I am looking to possibly move to a '13 RT classic 6-speed from my '12 Mustang GT and have a few questions.

After driving the RT, I miss the power of my GT and will at some point want to add power, quite possibly a supercharger. I read here in my research that the 11-current 5.7 cannot be tuned. Can anyone tell me where a tune is relative to a possible release date? Just looking for options on getting more power out of the 5.7.

My RT classic has the 20' painted wheels, but I really want the heritage aluminum wheels. I suppose I can buy a set and sell my painted wheels for close to a wash in terms of cost, or is that unrealistic?

Lastly, before I pull the trigger and but the RT, are there any rumors that the RT may get an engine upgrade before production is rumoured to stop in 2013/2014? I'd hate to buy this car being a little dissapointed in power and discover the last run of RT's will get more horsepower or a bigger engine, etc.

I appreciate the help guys, and hope my brand x endeavors don't discourage anyone from helping. I have always loved the looks of the E bodied cars, and when the new Challenger came out, I promised myself I'd have one and keep it forever. The 5.0 GT is a great car, and objectively does just about everything better, but it's not a car I can grab a beer and go out to the garage and just completely drool over like the RT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

The polished "Heritage" 20" wheels are $995 extra cost option vs. the standard "Envy" 20" grey painted wheels on R/T Classics.

The tuning for '11 (maybe '12?) just got released in late Nov '12, so the '13s shouldn't be too far off in the future.

Any rumors for engine changes in the R/T models are just that, rumors at this point. The current body style continues along through the '14 model year.

About the only possible change is the '14 SRT may have another engine option, but we're 5-6 months out on what the official offering may be.

Eibach Sportline Suspension
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Nitto 555 Extreme 265/50-18"
392 Cam / DS CMR tune
Old 01-12-2013, 07:29 AM

RT is killer car. There are no upgrades in performace slated before the body changes anyway. Did you consider a 392 and have classic stripes put on? A supercharger on a 5.7 will get you over the current peformance of the 392, but depends on boost. But you also have to realize the SRT has an upgraded suspension and brakes. There isn't any tuning for the 13' model cars yet, but there probably will be in the not-so distant future. 11's can be tuned now, and I think 12's with the trinity diablo tuner, and B&G....13's not there yet. The challenger is a nice car, it has usable space, and it looks great. Its peformance isn't as great as the others, but its close... and in time you can tinker with it and make it a great performer as well. Take your time and make the right decision for YOU. Welcome to the forum.
'11 GWE SRT Challenger - traded

Last edited by conceptmachine; 01-12-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,024 Times in 640 Posts
Based on what you wrote you're not happy with what you currently own while at the same time say its a better car overall. I'd stay with the mustang, you chose it over a challenger in the first place.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I agree - live with your mistake - that's how you learn
20x8's, HID Lights, Challenger Door Sills, Mopar CAI,
1970 Challenger & R/T Emblem on the rear spoiler,
Gas Charged Hood Supports, Mopar Nose Badge
276-watt 6 Speaker Sound
Exhaust: Flowmaster 40's
Mopar Strut Tower Brace
Fuzzy White Dice

"Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel!"
Old 01-12-2013, 07:57 AM

If you are going to start modding.....You will get pretty frustrated at the Challenger. When it comes to that, its no where near as easy as the Mustang to mod. There is tuning available for the 2011+ but its not as easy to do. Only a few guys have the stuff to "custom tune". If you want a bigger car with more room, looks kick ass and has decent power, then the Challenger is the car.
2011 392 Challenger.........................SOLD
2012 mid 10 second 1/4 mile GT500.... SOLD

Current ride
100% stock 2013 Plum SuperBee............best of 12.407 @ 114.28
With drag radials, tune and CAI...............best of 12.008 @ 115.74
Old 01-12-2013, 08:31 AM

Good info, thank you for taking the time. Yes, my 5.0 GT is faster, and handles better etc, and I am not dissatisfied with it as much as I remain in lust over having an RT classic.

I'm 46, and living with a mistake so to speak falls into the "been there done that" experience. I prefer at this point to live by the "life is short" mantra, and use some rainy day money to buy the Challenger . I know this is a car I will want to keep forever, whereas my 5.0 is not.

Buying the GT was a right brain/left brain excercise. I rationalized that I would be okay living with the 5.0 because of it's greatness/value as a performance package and therefore, not miss having a Challenger. However, that experiment did not work out as everytime I saw an RT classic I got lustful.

I'd kick myself if I did not get an RT before production ends next year.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:39 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Originally Posted by eng943 View Post
Good info, thank you for taking the time. Yes, my 5.0 GT is faster, and handles better etc, and I am not dissatisfied with it as much as I remain in lust over having an RT classic.

I'm 46, and living with a mistake so to speak falls into the "been there done that" experience. I prefer at this point to live by the "life is short" mantra, and use some rainy day money to buy the Challenger . I know this is a car I will want to keep forever, whereas my 5.0 is not.

Buying the GT was a right brain/left brain excercise. I rationalized that I would be okay living with the 5.0 because of it's greatness/value as a performance package and therefore, not miss having a Challenger. However, that experiment did not work out as everytime I saw an RT classic I got lustful.

I'd kick myself if I did not get an RT before production ends next year.
If you decide to make the swap, do it right, wait until June of this Summer and custom order a 2014 R/T. I think you're going to like the color options.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Last edited by rayzazoo; 01-12-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by rayzazoo View Post
If you do decide to swap, do it right, wait until June this Summer and custom order a 2014 R/T. I think you're going to like the color options.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
That's interesting. Right now I just love the redline pearl with white stripe combo!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:55 AM

I beleive you're making a decision of Form over Function, in this case I agree with you're rationalization.
I've found in my life that I usually ended up happier making emotional decisions over intellectual decisions (when it comes down to a choice between two desirable items).

Last edited by Number 6; 01-12-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.