Dodge Challenger Forum banner

6 month Review

3K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  08blackrt 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is a 6 month review for my scat pack. Maybe help new buyers or get some thoughts from others.

Car- 2015 Scat pack, phantom black, 6 speed, black wheels, Appearance package, and leather group. Yes I got the bees. Ordered in march delivered in April.

First off don't take any of the cons as I hate the car, just being honest. Love the car, have owned a 2010 camaro SS, Two old trans ams, and a 2001 WS6. By far the best car.

Paint- Pretty good for a factory job. Paint sparkles in the sun, and looks little charcoal, in the dark its black. I have found very little orange peel.

Mechanically- No issues, strong motor and transmission. Some of that hemi tick you heard about. Have a recall on the board for it, probably will have them check the tick for piece of mind.

Interior- Layout, fit and function is great, well made. I have the suede seats they are nice. Still debating if they are worth the 1500 bucks. The venting is nice, ill never use the heat in them. Guess if I had to do it over again I probably would have preferred leather(which they didnt offer) or just gone with the cloth.

Exterior-Looks the best out of the 3 muscle cars if you ask me. Again well built.

Now for some Cons or somethings I think that can be improved on.

Parking Brake- My biggest pet peeve by far is there is no hand brake for a standard transmission, not thought out if you ask me.

Trunk Lid- Its heavy for a trunk and there is no assist to pop it up. Also no strap to pull it down. which means you have to touch it to do it, which leads to more opportunity for scratches. The worst part of it is the water draining, on this trunk. Ill wash it the day before park in garage and next day still be draining.

Rocker panels- the matte black plastic is on a lot of cars these days. Personally the stuff never stays clean. Should have been body color matched.

Interior Cons- The map lights up front are like the only non led lights in the car, come on really, the one thing that looks cheap on the car if you ask me. Next the dimming of the dash lights, its really not graduated, it either goes light or dark for the most part.

Cruise control- rather eradic. I see deviation of 3mph either way. I know most cars when going up hill or down, or just starting cruise, it will flucuate. But this car seems to be the worst one Ive ever had.

Infotainment- actual use and layout is really good in comparison to other stuff Ive owned. Only thing I hate is the talk to text option works good, but has way to many prompts and are you sure you want to do this to make me want to use it a lot. Lastly maybe Im missing something. But why cant there just be a home a home screen to turn it off to with a simple clock or something. It seems you either have to hit mute or turn the screen totally off.

See less See more
#3 ·
Is the speech to text part of the infotainment system now? In the older Challengers, the speech to text was actually being handled by the phone rather than the stereo and all the prompting was from Siri, Google Now, or Cortana. I have found that (oddly) my Windows phone does a much better job than the other two.

#4 ·
yes speech to text is through the car stereo. Thing is it actually recognizes the speech pretty good, just way to much prompting and waiting, which gives you the urge to just use the phone. My silverado is the same way, are you sure, are you sure, are you sure.

#5 ·
I have to agree with all of your points. One thing that was not mentioned but grinds me is the inaccurate gauges. For example, when the temp goes from 212 to 213 degrees, the needle moves from 1/2 to 3/4 mark of the dial face. The numbers and the needles are completely disjointed.

I submitted a feature request to get this fixed but I don't expect much.

#7 ·
Two things. I have a 2010 6 speed and you are correct, the look is by far the best. Secondly, and I'm sure this is just personal preference, but I like the foot parking brake and I don't see the need for a hand brake. The hill start assist feature works great an I
embrace the technology that makes that possible.

#8 ·
The parking brake is probably more habit, as every standard Ive had was a hand brake. And I guess I like the hand brake on a standard as I use it every time I drive it and its easier to move my hand 4-5in and pull up and down vs searching for the foot brake with my left foot that I can not see.

#13 ·
We got our cars within days of each other if I recall!
I think my biggest pet peeve is the trunk. Since it is my daily driver, I'm going to the market and stores for errands. Because of the design of the car, the rear end gets really dusty and dirty fast and you are forced to touch it to close the deck lid.

Has anybody installed pull straps as previously mentioned?

#16 · (Edited)
Agree with this caveat, The Nav system is a useless POS. The voice recog can't recognize any address, and the manual entry starts to lock out letters it doesn't think you should push. Truly the address interface is Actually useless, the Nav side does work once you get lucky enough to get an address in there. My $50 smart phone can find the address in 10 secs, from speech, with no training, literally.

#18 ·
My experience is completely opposite. I find that navigating to an address works flawlessly. I just have to remember to say "navigate" and not "navigate to" or the system puts a 2 in front of the street address. (16 Main Street becomes 216 Main Street) I find entering using the screen to be tedious. Mine is an April build.

#17 ·
A console mounted electric ebrake switch would have been much more contemporary and convenient. I rent too many cars, I guess.

#22 · (Edited)
Good write up. I've had my car (B5 blue Scat, A8, base package cloth seats etc no bees) 3 months and pretty much agree with most of it. I have an A8 so the foot parking brake doesn't bother me.

The trunk lid, interesting observation and good point re no strap or assist..I never really gave it much thought (my wife used to have a 2012 SXT challenger so maybe I got used to the trunk lid) but strap would be nice.

The water draining, and how dirty the rear gets.. funny you mention this...I've owned a couple of Corvettes in the past (C5 and C6) and those were also issues on those cars that we all complained about on the Vette forum. Again I guess I got immune to it having had other cars with it >:) I always grab a handful of extra towels when I pop the trunk after washing to try and soak some of that up. The black plastic piece on the car that the lid rests on..I'm workign hard to try and keep that from getting water stained..something I negleted on other cars that I hated :icon_evil:

One thing I don't like, and I am not sure if M6 cars have this, my car with the A8 the rear diff is kind of loud, it whines on decel when you let your foot of the gas, especially in 5th, 6th and 8th gears. It's borderline to the point where I've debated taking the car in to have a tech look at it. Not sure yet.

Hemi Tick, my car does not really have it, every once in a great while I can hear it very faintly. Not as bad as the LSx motors i had in the vettes though.

#24 ·
One thing I don't like, and I am not sure if M6 cars have this, my car with the A8 the rear diff is kind of loud, it whines on decel when you let your foot of the gas, especially in 5th, 6th and 8th gears.
Rear end not set up right, whining on deceleration is bad news and will only get worse. I'd bring it in. Many here have gotten their rear ends swapped out under warranty.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#25 ·
I love the car and the way it runs. My issues are rough broken paint under a wheel well (which I chipped out and "sealed" with touch up paint) and both doors rub ever so slightly. You can't feel the interference but it literally just rubs the paint on the leading edge of the doors. I talked to the dealer and they will fix but seems that QA should have caught it. I sell Chevy commercial trucks for a living and have for 20 years. I must admit GM quality control is 10x what Chrysler is. Not knocking them and not saying GM is perfect but rubbing doors and chipped (bubbled) paint would never have made it out of the factory.

#26 ·
My only complaint after 4 months is the paper thin aluminum hood.
The rear end on my 2007 Vette collected more dust than this.
Drives great, M6 shifts smooth, plenty of power, comfortable, and looks great.
Oh, and the HK Stereo isn't worth the price, but it came standard on my SRT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.