Dodge Challenger Forum banner

A8, no dipstick

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  BlackHemi41 
#1 ·
I did a search and didn't find anything about this. I was reading the owners manual and found this on page 536

Fluid Level Check
The fluid level is preset at the factory and does not require
adjustment under normal operating conditions. Routine
fluid level checks are not required, therefore the transmission
has no dipstick. Your authorized dealer can check your
transmission fluid level using special service tools.

WOW! ! ! any idea what the special service tools are?

#4 ·
There is no tube for a dipstick either. Buying a dipstick tool for the Mercedes/NAG1 won't help you. The fill plug is on the passenger side of the transmission. The proper fluid check procedure for the 8 speed trans is involving and time consuming. Chrysler/ZF are very specific on how to do it because there is a small temperature range the fluid has to checked within. It's very finicky about the level and fluid type. Basically don't open it up unless you have a very specific need to (it's shifting funny, running too hot, leaking, etc.), you've familiarized yourself with the procedure and you're off warranty.

#6 ·
^This

I looked for one on my 2015 when I first got it, before I read the manual. My 2009 6.1 had the tube and you could get a dipstick (or even fabricate one) but on the 2015's, there's not even a tube. FWIW, I've seen more late model vehicles going this way. No tube and the level is checked from underneath with a specific procedure involving operation/temperature.

Mike

#5 ·
Well alrighty then, knew I came to the right place. Guess that's what I get for driving GM's all my life, behind the times...lol

Thanks guys

Reactions: RickLB
#9 ·
the ZF A8s have a "fill and spill" type of arrangement.

The pan has a drain plug and there's a fill /inspection plug on the side of the case.

Upon cold fill, there's a fill valve in the body of the transmission.

There's a set procedure for initial fill, then to start engine, cycle through gear positions and add fluid until it just runs out the fill hole.

Then the fluid needs to be between a specific temperature range 30-35* C to check the "warm" fluid level (temp can't be > 35*C [95*F]) a scan tool is typically used to check the ATF temp during this procedure.

Fluid is added until in runs out the fill / inspection hold and then its done.

Many trans failures are due to over-fill conditions, so that's why many have omitted dipsticks to avoid an incorrect fill procedure.

PS: many of the plastic pan ZF's have an integral oil filter - so the pan/filter unit is replaced with a new one for a filter service.

#11 ·
So the way I'm reading this, if you want to make sure your level is correct, could you use the initial fill procedure like this:

- After the car sits overnight and car is cool...
- Jack both front and back up and support with jackstands so it is level
- Start it up, go from R to D a couple times
- Leave it running or turn it off?
- Crawl under it and...
- Remove fill plug and fill until it runs out the hole
- Reinstall fill plug

Could that be done?

Mike

#13 ·
You can maintain it yourself, you just have to really know what you're doing. It's a finicky transmission that isn't as forgiving to DIY-ers as an old 727 TorqueFlite. That's the trade-off for having such an efficient and high performance state-of-the-art transmission. Chrysler just wants to make sure that people who don't know what they're doing don't screw it up and blame the manufacturer. They shouldn't have to eat the cost for repairs. Especially when there are so many quick-e-lube places out there that want to upsell you that "Oh-so-important" transmission flush that you don't need and can actually cause more damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.