Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Anti-Dodge Car Wash

9K views 43 replies 28 participants last post by  Cha||enger 
#1 ·
Just saw this at a local SoCal big name gas station drive in car wash.

Attachments

See less See more
#28 · (Edited)
I agree. In the last 10 years I've taken my car to a car wash maybe 2-3 times. Most of the time they're not going to scratch your car but why risk it? If it does get scratched or dinged, good luck proving they did it. Plus, washing your ride is a time to bond with your car and tell her how beautiful she is.

Same reason I avoid restaurants or ANY establishments that force you to valet your car. Those places will never see a penny from me. I'm pretty particular and if I won't let my girlfriend or friends drive my car, not likely I'll let some dude who doesn't care even sit in it. Just the thought of that gives me the willies.

I've tried the touchless washes many times but they never completely dry my car off, I always have to get out and finish. Plus if there is bird crap the touchless won't get it off most of the time.

I wash my car once a week and enjoy it. It's relaxing.

Just say
to car wash places (and valet parking)

Reactions: PaVaSteeler
#6 ·
There is no car wash good enough for my Mopars other than my 2 hands. Why would I take my Charger to a car wash anyway? I don't want it to snap my antenna, smash up my grille, or tear off any of the vinyl top trim.

#12 ·
Who mans your local Car Wash? Two Meth'd out Rabid Gorillas?

I try to take mine through about once a week during winter...wash it myself usually from April - October. I've never had a car wash damage one of my cars.

#9 ·
Not that anyone would take a Hellcat through a car wash, but it appears they made that hood out of aluminum foil. I ordered an OEM one for my '14 RT. It's so thin you can see the hood scoop flutter in the wind while driving. Having that car wash roller going over the hood might actually flatten it out!

#14 · (Edited)
It may be sheet metal dings as others have said, but honestly Challengers have heavier sheet metal than LOTS of other cars. Ever tapped on a BRZ/FRS? They make the Challenger feel like its armor plated.

My guess that this is an un-manned automated carwash, and people were ripping off their splitters on the wheel guide rails. I have no qualms about taking my car through a (well maintained, well-run) car wash and have a couple locally that I trust, but I do always make SURE the splitter will clear everything.

#15 ·
If my car is dirty and I don't have a chance to wash it then it just stays dirty. I never take my cars through a car wash. Even if it doesn't snap my antenna it still beats the snot and puts swirls in the paint.

Reactions: PaVaSteeler
#17 ·
That's pretty shi*ty but saying that I would never use a car wash in the first place.

#19 ·
I expect the owner got his crappy bmw or audi destroyed by a Challenger driver in a street race, and can't stand the sight of them.

Also, the car washes around here are "touchless". Nothing touches the car except sprayed on soap and water. No brushes or other things are there to hurt my car. I use them all the time.

#20 ·
If I was on my death bed and the priest said to me, “I just spoke to God and he says if you run your Challenger through the local car wash the Almighty will extend your life 20 years”.

I would tell the priest to read me my last rights.

#25 ·
My guess is the car wash doesn't adequately accommodate some feature of the vehicle (front spoiler, decals, wheels, etc.).

The one and only time I ran my Challenger through a contact car wash it ripped off the "Challenger" grill badge. I now run it through the 100% touch-less car wash weekly (during the winter), and have never had a problem since. When the temperature is well below freezing (most of the winter here), hand washing outside is not possible. About once per month, I'll use a self-service car wash at late night and hand wash there (car washes here in Alaska are enclosed and heated).

#26 ·
I can marginally understand not using a drive through wash with the big spinning rollers etc but I don't understand why folks would be against using a touchless wash in the winter. Pull in, stop, big arm swings around doing two pre-soaks, high impact wash, then a spot free rinse, followed by blow dry as you exit
As far as swirls, rubbing ANYTHING on your paint, weather in a drive through car wash or at home, is gonna leave swirls.

Never understood the psychology of buying a "bad a$$" mans car and then treating it like a prissy little scared kitten that's afraid to get some rain or car wash water on them :scratchhead:

#27 ·
True story: Two weeks ago I stopped at the local "Touchless" wash (it was a very cold day). Apparently the arm mechanism had some ice buildup. It did the pre-soak, then the soap just fine. When it started the power wash cycle, the whole thing froze up, the arm mechanism jumped track, and the whole thing swung down from the ceiling. How it avoided damaging the car is beyond me, but it didn't leave any marks. Ended up driving across town to the regular car wash I use with frozen soap all over the car.

Everything ended up ok...but it was pretty scary watching that arm headed for the front of the car.

#31 ·
I'm not complaining but can someone tell me why hooters girls wear stalkings/pantyhose ? It bums me out. :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.