Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Anybody Know This JERK Challenger Driver?

9K views 54 replies 31 participants last post by  Elusive 
#1 ·
Hit and run driver in a Challenger. Cops in Huntington Beach, CA looking for him.

Huntington Beach hit-and-run suspect backs over elderly woman | abc7.com

The suspect's car was described as a newer-model, charcoal grey, Dodge Challenger with no front license plate, chrome gas cap and chrome rims.

The driver of the car is described as a white or Asian male in his mid-20s, around 6 feet tall with a medium build and short, dark hair. The passenger is described as a white or Asian female in her early-20s, around 5 feet 5 inches tall with a medium build and long, dark hair.

If you have any information about this incident, you're urged to contact the Huntington Beach Police Department's hotline at (714) 375-5066 or Orange County Crime Stoppers at (855) TIP-OCCS.

JFF:D

#2 ·
Poor lady, broken hip for sure. Painful for years for someone that age.

It so idiotic. If they guy sticks around, he gets maybe a $100 ticket for not yielding to pedestrians. Maybe gets sued for whatever his insurance max is.

Instead, he gets jail time and a huge fine for leaving the scene knowingly causing injury, sued anyways, loses his car, etc.

Amazing how a split second poor decision will change a guy's life.

#10 ·
I see more and more people driving our beauties lately, and yet I can't help but feel a negative vibe from these drivers. There used to be respect before (a slight salute, thumbs up, even a flicker of the lights maybe), but now I can almost feel a slight resentment.
Who are these *******s driving our cars now???
I know, right? Mustang or Camaro driver, you could totally understand this behaviour :confused:

#8 ·
Wasn't his fault, that old lady came out of nowhere. Plus the back up camera didn't see anyone, and the anti-collision monitoring didn't warn him either.

If anything it's Dodge's fault, they shouldn't have made such an unsafe vehicle. With the size of the Challenger, it should at least have a beeper that goes off warning everyone around you that you are backing up.

The poor guy was probably just afraid to get sued through no fault of his own.

#11 · (Edited)
Absolutely was his fault, YOU have to be in control of your vehicle at all times forward or backward.

First off he backed up way too fast to take advantage of any warning system and how do you know it didn't go off??

The driver has to watch for pedestrians backing up or going forward in a parking lot, he'll be fried and pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way.

HE hit her, she didn't hit him and it doesn't matter what he was "afraid" of, you don't leave the scene of an accident especially when you practically run over someone! The "poor driver" is a scumbag!

Unsafe vehicle with a beeper! LOL!!

#15 · (Edited)
It's definitely a Crystal Granite 2015 (look at the taillights) and based on the quick glance (hard to see) of the hood, probably a Scat Pack. Guaranteed the rear cross path detection went off IF the car had that option. I don't think that's standard is it? But if it had the option, it went off for sure because that system is very sensitive and picks up stuff WAY off to the side! Doesn't really matter though: reverse calls for careful observation and SLOW movement, particularly in pedestrian areas! And if you hit something/someone, you certainly don't flee the scene!

Edit: BTW, I'm sure they have the make, model, and year by now.

Mike

#16 ·
Positively his fault, a real scum bag.
Accident= stop and take care of what you did, forget the rest of the day!
There are HUGE blind spots with these cars, it is part of the way the car looks. Even with a camera and both side mirrors, it go very slow and I do have the back up warning. It is very sensitive too. When my Son was test driving my challenger at the lot (we both got to drive it but it was his last time LOL) he was backing into a space. The only thing behind him was a 2 inch dia hand rail pipe. The alarm went off, he stopped and all was well. If a 2 inch pipe will set the alarm off, a person is a given.

#21 · (Edited)
Even with a camera and both side mirrors, it go very slow and I do have the back up warning. It is very sensitive too. When my Son was test driving my challenger at the lot (we both got to drive it but it was his last time LOL) he was backing into a space. The only thing behind him was a 2 inch dia hand rail pipe. The alarm went off, he stopped and all was well. If a 2 inch pipe will set the alarm off, a person is a given.
Just to confirm how sensitive it is, I was backing out of the garage in the wee hours one morning... pretty dark still. The cross path beeper went off as I got about halfway out of the garage. Looked in the camera and saw nothing. Figuring one of the kids left something in the driveway, I got out and looked around and there was an armadillo walking out of the grass across the driveway. And it was darn near perpendicular to the back bumper: way off on the side. I was amazed it could pick that up but I guess since it was moving, they must have this thing configured to pick up small animals (and potentially small children, etc.). And it's super quick to respond as well. The instant you put it in reverse, it'll pick up that movement in the crosspath: even before the camera is completely "warmed up".

Almost felt good about saving the little rat on the halfshell... until he later built a home next to a sprinkler head and dug it to hell and back.

Mike

#22 ·
Looks like an RT or SXT. I dont see a HEMI badge on the fender and the height of the rear spoiler is low which implies it may be without a camera or rear sensors.
I can tell you the sensors are very sensitive but turn off if you go too fast in reverse.

#26 ·
Why did he even back up like that so fast? Old lady with head injuries its a good chance this will kill her.. Kinda screwed up on my part tho when the female police officer said white male 6 ft brown hair possibly Asian and then the camera cut to an Asian reporter with brown hair my brain yelled its him!!

#27 ·
Elderly people don't do well with traumatic head injuries. Without knowing her med history and presentation at the ED/diagnosis, I'd guess that she has a substantial risk of death from this.

The driver and passenger aren't getting a ticket and that's it. That incident is now a crime. Hit/run, failure to remain at the scene, failure to render aid, and aggravated assault are going to be the least of the charges. They are looking at years of prison time.

#33 ·
God forbid I try to post something humorous. It's all lost on you people.

I guess I can repeat the same mindless drivel as everyone else, "I hope they nail that guy!". "Oh, the humanity, my heart and prayers go out to the family!". "Think of the children!?"

Stuff like this happens every day, and I'm sure the driver doesn't think it's his fault. I was trying to point that out in a funny way, but I guess that just makes me the jerk.

Reactions: Madcoder
#36 · (Edited)
True......
Huntington Beach Dodge is a BIG dealer in that area.

He may turn himself in after thinking about this for awhile, or talking about it (if he does) someone may turn him in.

#42 ·
Wow, that IS good news!

At her age when they break their hips for instance most don't ever leave the hospital.

#41 ·
I think it's the color of the Challenger. Both the Challengers from this video and the hit and run on the other Challenger were the Granite Greys. Run for your lives and stay away from that color! Oh :wink3:

Reactions: Challenger79
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.