Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Anyone know why late 2012 Challenger 5.7L timing chains are OK?

870 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  A Guy 
#1 ·
So my Challenger was built in May 2012. If I recall, the original timing chain recall was for April 2012 and before. However, now I see there is a P01 recall for 2013 vehicles. Does that mean that May through December 2012 Challengers had the metal tensioning parts, then Dodge went back to a black plastic part that was problematic? I contacted Dodge and all they will say is that my VIN and date are not part of any timing chain recall. Sure seems suspicious to me though. Does anyone have any more detailed information? Any other late 2012 owners who did or did not receive recall notices?

#2 ·
My 2012 has not been included in the recall. Not sure when my car was built (I would go and look but my car is at the body shop right now). I bought my car out of dealer stock in late July 2012 so I'm guessing it might have been a later build.

There are thoughts that the MDS system was causing the timing chain failures (harmonics?) so I always drove my car in autostick mode (thus preventing MDS from engaging). Eventually, I bought a tuner and turned the MDS off entirely (good riddance to bad rubbish) :naughty:

#3 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.